As Good As It Gets

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by lb 4 lb, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I still quite enjoyed it, it held my interest

2. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I think Jerry McGuire was the year prior and good will hunting won that year. Which I didn't really like either, tbh..... 'Oh babe, you're snowed under with your final year Harvard assignment? What subject, molecular biology? Oh I read some of that on my lunch break mopping floors, give me half an hour and I'll do it for you!' The scene at the bar where he almost gets into a brawl over the economics of pre-revolutionary pensylvania which he just happens to know every minutia of down to page number references....was so tempted to switch it off right there, ridiculous shit

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

You are correct about Jerry McGuire. It did come out the year before AGAIG.

But Titanic won Best Picture the year Good Will Hunting came out. Even though, LA Confidential was the best movie made in 1997.

As for Good Will Hunting... it hasn't aged well at all. People thought it was a masterpiece at the time, but it's pretty stupid to watch now, as you said.

The only thing that still holds up in that movie is Robin Williams' performance, which was excellent. Without Williams, it'd be a COMPLETELY shit movie.

4. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I liked 'Goodwill Hunting' more than AGAIG. Damon's character is supposed to be a genius and that scene you described was one of the high points of the film. But 'Goodwill Hunting' did NOT won Best Picture, only Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor (Robin Williams). It was 'Titanic'

5. Xplosive

AGAIG takes a steaming hot shit on Good Will Hunting.

Good Will Hunting is essentially a wannabe Forrest Gump... difference being it attempts to create a compelling/heart warming story around a genius instead of an idiot. And it falls way short.

6. Panchyprsss

Nah it is a more interesting story than a geezer with obsessive compulsive disorder scoring with a younger pretty dame.

7. Xplosive

No. It's really not. As Hut said, it's a ridiculous movie. Totally puts a Hollywood, over-the-top spin on what actual geniuses are like.

Young broads fuck old men all the time. Especially when the old men show them a little attention and care.

Thug janitors from the streets of Boston don't generally make Isaac Newton look like a bum at math.

8. Panchyprsss

And that is exactly what made it interesting. It did won Best Screenplay for a good reason.

9. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

It's ridiculous to me listening to people complain about unrealisticness in movies like AGAIG, Goodwill Hunting and Forrest Gump. It's a freaking movie for crying out loud. What the hell sense does it make to nitpick tiny portions of a film that are a bit unrealistic?

You don't get to judge movies on that basis IMO. You can attack a film over acting, direction, story, if it was boring or not, etc. You do not get to say shit like I hated the movie because retards don't go to college. That's not the way watching movies work because every movie has a hint of fiction to it.

Obviously they can't go over board with the fiction but having a thug janitor who turns out to be a genius is the exact point of what made the premise special. So what the hell sense does it make to attack that?

10. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I don't expect realism from a fantasy comedy like Forrest Gump but believability is part of what makes a drama immersive and affecting. Your film is about a genius? The premise is fine but I gotta believe he's a genius, a real person who might concievably exist and not have the scenes bring to my mind some screenwriter fantasising about how rad it'd be to be omniscient

11. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Well look, I'm more Forrest Gump than Good Will Hunting so please stop using words like omniscient with me if you want to have a healthy discussion about this.