Best footwork of all time

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

The casual fan thinks of great footwork as someone like Ali, but really, there's a difference between having great foot SPEED and great technical footwork. Ali, much as I love him, doesn't belong on a list of best footwork of all time.... he was an athletic freak. Doesn't neccessarily mean that a guy with fast feet can't also have great footwork.

A few fighters I can think of in history who had/have flawless footwork:

Jose Napoles
    Carlos Ortiz
    Ezzard Charles
    Duran
    Chocolatito
    Chavez

Who else?

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

You´d have to put Mayweather in that list - he has to have great footwork because his head doesnt always move around a lot and neither does he move a lot from the waist much the same as Whitaker used to....

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Listen dude....

If you're going to try and pretend that you're more insightful than anyone else and say that Ali doesn't belong on the list then you MUST DEFINE what good footwork is.

4. Xplosive

It APPEARS that Floyd has great footwork... but that's only because McGregor has yet to show him what masterful footwork truly is.

5. Destruction and Mayhem

Here's a FUCKING definition (Why Good Footwork is Crucial in Boxing – MORENO BOXING):

What Is Footwork?
    Footwork can be defined in a number of ways but in general I like to say that it is simply the way in which a boxer moves his feet. Anything from the way they step, pivot or shift positions inside the ring using their feet constitutes footwork. In boxing footwork always serves a purpose, whether to defend or attack footwork is the foundation of a good technical boxer’s ability to score punches while avoiding being hit.

Going by the above definition we can define good footwork as a way in which the boxer moves in the ring, which maximises his/her efficiency in attacking and defending. Boxing footwork can be influenced by a number of factors such as the boxer’s agility, weight and fighting style but primarily footwork is there to serve the purpose of implementing a strategy.

The Purpose of Footwork
    Earlier I stated that footwork was for the purposes of maximizing efficiency of attack and defence but it actually goes beyond that. Boxing footwork is highly attuned to the style of a boxer, or at least the strategy which the boxer is trying to implement. The saying styles make fights is true but I also like to think that fights make styles too, in the sense that the type of competition a boxer is up against will have a large say in what style they need to implement in order to be victorious. Let’s take the example of Muhammad Ali who was known to move around on his toes and had what was the best footwork ever demonstrated by a heavyweight boxer. When he faced George Foreman, Ali knew that moving around too much was not a good strategy as it would tire him out in the fight, so he opted for the ‘rope-a-dope’ approach which he pioneered specifically to win that fight. The rope-a-dope was a very risky strategy that involved Ali laying on the ropes and absorbing a huge amount of punishment in order to tire his unsuspecting opponent out, before knocking him out in one of the greatest upset of our century. This is a perfect example of when a boxer changes up his footwork strategy in order to adapt to an opponent, and despite Ali laying on the ropes most of the fight there still was plenty of footwork going on.

Why You Need Good Footwork
    Now that you know the meaning and function of good footwork you will likely begin to understand why you need to practice and improve your footwork in order to improve your boxing skills. Just in case you are not convinced, here is a list of the benefits that come with having good footwork:

• Improved rhythm which allows you pace yourself better and avoid fatigue
    • Efficient movement which helps you conserve energy and make less mistakes
    • Increased power in your punches as you will establish better range control
    • Increased confidence as you make your opponent miss more punches and you land more punches
    • Improved agility, coordination and balance as your leg muscles get stronger

6. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    you can act all sarcastic and try to discount mcGregors obvious ability but true ELITE pros realize he is legit and are willing to adopt his techniques.

BoxingTipster on Twitter

7. Destruction and Mayhem

So based on the definition how is it that Ali doesn't belong on the list?

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Wlad had epic footwork, he had his flaws, but he had great feet. Old man Vitali got around too for such a lump.

Ricky Hatton, underratedly good feet.

Ali had fast feet but I don't know if he had great footwork, he laid on the ropes a lot and got hit a lot.

Mike had great feet in his prime. Really perfected for his style.

KaukipRrr likes this.
  9. Destruction and Mayhem

Mayweather, Lomachenko, Hopkins, Calzaghe (YES..Calzaghe) should be included in any credible list about best footwork.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

At the end of the day, footwork is about balance and positioning is it not? The guys that are always in the best position to avoid or land punches have the best footwork. Period. What other definition can there be?

11. BOSS

BOSS TBD

McGregor does have great footwork. Just close your eyes pretend he's black and accept it.

12. Destruction and Mayhem

Or perhaps if you close your eyes and pretend that he's black, you'll realize that perhaps he doesn't.

Don't be mad at me though bro....I still want to be your favourite black.

13. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Listen my favorite black...how would you even know about his footwork when you don't watch mma? I'm not saying he has great boxing footwork since that is yet to be seen..i was talking about mma

14. Destruction and Mayhem

Yeah, but this thread is about boxing!

15. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Well he brought him up first

16. Destruction and Mayhem

Fair point. These non-sly blacks can be IGNANT!

17. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Perfectly worded.

18. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Who do you rate higher - Calazaghe or RJJ?

19. Destruction and Mayhem

RJJ

20. Xplosive

Indeed. 80s Tyson had great footwork and balance.

Post-prison, Mike forgot everything he everything knew about footwork and balance.

And for SLY, who's going into cardiac arrest at the mere suggestion that Ali didn't have legendary footwork... my point was casusals would assume he had THE BEST footwork ever because of how fast he was and how gracefully he danced around in his younger years.

Great footwork is more about positioning, utlizing angles, while always remaining in proper range to implement both offense and defense using as little wasted foot motion as possible.

That's why I listed Jose Napoles. The guy had textbook, BEAUTIFUL footwork that was perfect for integrating both defense and offense. Same with Carlos Ortiz.

If you're giving boxing lessons to some beginner in the gym, I assure you it's better to show them film of Napoles, Chavez, or Chocolatito than Ali.

And I say that as probably the biggest Ali fan on the forum. But Ali often moved back in a straight line, which is a footwork NO-NO that prime Ali got away with because his speed and athleticism was aburdly good.

If it makes Sly happy, Floyd has better footwork than Ali had. Floyd has beautiful footwork.

21. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Sweet Pea
    Benitez
    Tyson
    Pep
    Tommy Loughran

22. Xplosive

Amir Khan is the perfect example of a fighter with fast feet, yet bad footwork.

Not in ANYWAY equating Ali's footwork with Khan's... just pointing out that casuals think fast feet means great footwork.

23. puerto rock

Gamboa is in that same light, in that his feet were fast but he was always sloppy, off balance, and out of position.

24. Xplosive

Mikey Garcia has beautiful footwork.

The Broner fight was a textbook display of a faster fighter getting totally embarrassed by a more skilled fighter, due in large part to footwork.

25. Xplosive

Yup. Very good example.

26. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    But the thing is, Ali didn't get hit even though he moved straight back. So it was NOT a mistake by him. You can't compare fighters directly like this, because different things work for different fighters and you should use the moves that suit you. Thus, Ali did have an all-time great footwork, right up there with the very best

27. Xplosive

If you were a training a kid off the street who wanted to learn how to box, would you show him Ali footage when teaching footwork?

I think we ALLLL know how well Ali's style worked for him, my ONLY point is he's the not the textbook example of great footwork.

Just like Roy's not the TEXTBOOK example of technique, but his unique technique sure as Hell worked for him.

But what percentage of fighters are born with the gifts of Jones and Ali?

28. Xplosive

Young Camacho had beautiful footwork, and not JUST because his feet were fast.

The Limon fight might be the textbook example of how I'd teach a southpaw footwork.

29. puerto rock

Today, Lomachenko has the best footwork. And yes, I agree that Mikey Garcia is up there as well.

Speaking of Mikey, it doesn't look like his power is there at the higher weight, but I would favor him over guys like Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter at 147.

30. Destruction and Mayhem

Thank you