Golovkin Vs Canelo - who wins?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by mexican wedding shirt, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Who wins - Alvarez or Golovkin?

1. Golovkin

78.4%
  2. Alvarez

21.6%
  1. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Hi doods, I know there is another thread, but I just wanted to set this one up as a poll to see who Fightbeat favours.

Honestly ever since this fight was talked about I've considered nothing but an easy win for Golovkin over the fat legged little Ginger Mexican. I still feel that way despite two not great Gennady performances, but so many people are picking Canelo I started to second guess myself a bit.

I'm sticking to my guns though and saying Golovkin TKO 9 in a fairly easy fight.

Funny enough I see it going a similar way to Floyd Vs Conor, despite the fighters being completely different.

Canelo will get off to a fast start, use his handspeed and accuracy to win some early rounds. Golovkin won't do much, but once he gets comfortable and realises Canelo can't hurt him, he'll just walk him down behind the power jab and beat the fuck out of him like Floyd just did. I don't think Canelo has the size or the stamina to prevent said beating.

Another thing is their recent competition. Golovkin has fought two legit fighters recently, and in Canelo's recent 3 fights he's fought chinny little Khan, "Liam Smith", and an absolute walking punchbag in Chavez Jr. And that's going to prepare him for the best middleweight since Hopkins? I really don't see it. Canelo is completely unproven at 160, smaller, yet it's seen as an even money fight.

And while Canelo can undoubtedly punch at welter, and to some degree 154, I'm not convinced he'll have the power to hurt or deter Golovkin at 160 - who is not only a natural middle, but has a fucking cast iron chin that punches just seem to bounce off.

2. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I think people are going to be shocked at how one-sided this will end up being. Golovkin fucks him up.

3. mexican wedding shirt

My sentiments exactly Slice, which is why I'm so damn surprised at so many people (including lots of pro fighters, like Spence etc) thinking Canelo wins.

What the hell are they seeing/thinking that we're not?

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I don't think it'll be one sided anymore, because Golov is slipping. But I think he'll take over circa round 8 and Canelo gets stopped in 11.

If it's one sided, I'll be impressed with Golov, cause I do expect Canelo to win rounds.

5. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Good time for Canelo to face GGG as Triple G has looked more human in recent fights. I'm picking Golovkin to win but it will not be a one-sided beatdown.

6. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

GGG is overrated and slipping, but still good enough to win this. Tt will be competitive though

7. Xplosive

MWS is on the money in saying that Canelo beating up palookas like Smith and Chavez Junior in no way prepares him for Golov and gives people a false inpression of his ability.

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  8. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

Not only that, but I think GGG has been underrated a bit since the Jacobs fight, who is a very good fighter that I think can beat Canelo himself.

9. mexican wedding shirt

Jeffy, I've said the exact same thing. To me that was a solid win. Jacobs is a fucking BIG solid middleweight with power and skill. Good win, it wasn't a domination, but Golovkin won clearly IMO. I would also pick Jacobs over Canelo.

I think people who scored it for Jacobs got underdog syndromed. Jacobs did WAY better than I expected and my feeling watching it live was damn Jacobs might get this decision, thought it could go either way. When I rewatched it and scored it properly, it was a clear win for Gennady.

10. Baron

Baron "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I'm picking Golovkin but I believe Alvarez has a legit chance in this one. While not a master boxer, he is a fairly competent boxer and there's no doubt he can crack. Golovkin might be a little bit faster but Alvarez has pretty good timing and is able to read his opponent well enough to time them if they're faster.

Golovkin has a better skillset and is naturally bigger but he's isn't getting any younger and that's why I can't dismiss a possible Alvarez victory. I see that as a 60/40 fight.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  11. Baron

Home Page:
    MWS, I was wondering if you were dead! Glad to see you back!

12. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I think Golovkin will win but not easily and Canelo gets helped out by the officials and referee.

13. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

Gaybox for sure.

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    10-0 so far. That's wide.

15. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

10-1 now.

Mine is the sole voice of reason as usual. ;)

16. Xplosive

Sly has an agenda for being so high on Canelo, and we all know what it is.

17. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think Canelo wins this, probably contreversially. GGG looked awful vs Brooks and barely better vs Jacobs. I think he lost a step (and his peak level is hard to gauge considering he never fought an elite fighter). I watched Canelo-Floyd again the other days and Alvarez did much, much better than I orginally thought (even though he did lose clearly). He's better and more mature now. He'll have trouble with Golovkin jab but I think he's gonna throw the flashier shot as he's more explosive and that will carry the day.

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Because he beat the totally awesome Khan.

19. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Golovkin via late stoppage sounds right. The height and reach, jab, two handed power. Just too much for Canelo.

Welcome back, MWS.

20. mexican wedding shirt

Cheers Baron and Puerto :D

And damn, this poll is way more 1 sided than I thought. I would have said it's casual fans that have made this fight almost even money, but "like I said before" a surprising amount of fighters are picking Canelo too for some weird reason.

21. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED's Going with Canelo...

There's a Very Good Chance he OUTJABS Triple G and REED Expects Canelo's Body Work to Be a Factor as Well...

REED:cool:

22. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

I'm not high on Canelo....and it's not my fault that he fought Mayweather. Mayweather is a different style to GGG. Even if It turns out that Floyd had an easier time with him that GGG does this doesn't mean that Floyd beats GGG.

23. Xplosive

I'm fucking with you.

I can imagine a Canelo win. I can imagine a Canelo win for three reasons. One, Golov is indeed on the decline. Two, I'll admit, Golov was a bit overrated. He's not this top 5 all time middleweight great God that he was hyped to be. And three, yes, an offensive fighter like Golov suits Canelo better than a slickster like Floyd does.

But still, I believe Golovkin is a better fighter and will break lil Ginger down.

24. mexican wedding shirt

Can't see Canelo outjabbing Golovkin for a round, let alone the whole fight. Golovkin has one of the best jabs in boxing, it's hard and accurate and he has more reach than Canelo.

The only way I could possibly see Canelo winning is by simply outworking an aging Golovkin, using his handspeed, combos and counters to win exchanges. He has pretty good defence too.

But I gotta admit I'm struggling to even envisage that, as Golovkin even has better stamina than Canelo. Canelo's stamina looked improved against Chavez Jr, but it's quite easy to hit a heavy bag for 12 rounds. Golvkin's pressure is going to wear him down and make him gas, and as soon as he does it'a going to become a brutal TKO win for Gennady.

25. mexican wedding shirt

Hey Baron, gotta admit I'm surprised at your take on the speed. Do you mean footspeed and reflexes? As handspeed and defence I'd say are the only advantages Canelo has. Golovkin is a brilliant fighter, but his handspeed is merely average, he's not a fast fighter. He reminds me a bit of JMM in that respect, their timing and accuracy more than compensate for their lack of handspeed.

26. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

There's no way Canelo outjabs GGG.

I think people are being a bit premature in saying Golovkin is on the slide. Brook was something of an unknown quantity, even on this side of the pond, as the only name he'd fought up to that point was Porter. I think he's proved in his last couple of outings that he is a world class fighter, even in defeat. Besides, whilst he landed some good shots against Golovkin, he only won one round and had his face broken like a Digestive biscuit.

Jacobs I think was better than most gave him credit for, I'll hold my hands up and include myself in that. He's good, he proved to be a stylistic nightmare for GGG but Golovkin still found a way to win. Canelo fights absolutely nothing like Jacobs.

27. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I got Canelo in this fight now. I think the uppercut will be extremely effective for him as well as the speed advantage.

I really wasn't impressed with GGG vs Jacobs. IMO Canelo is a lot better than Jacobs.

28. Xplosive

There's no guarantee that Canelo that would beat Jacobs. None at all.

What is guaranteed is that Golov would wipe his ass with Smith and Chavez Junior.

And does anybody HONESTLY think that faded Cotto goes 12 with Golov?

29. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think Canelo knocks Jacobs out.

30. Baron

Home Page:
    Well, I could be mistaken, but I feel his combination of better footspeed and good handspeed allows him to get into good offensive positions faster than Canelo. I said a little bit faster because I know Canelo has good handspeed but I feel he needs to have his feet firmly planted in the ring to show that speed. Golovkin is a more dynamic fighter than Canelo and because of that, I think he'll look faster moving in and out (he has pretty good gap control too). He could be caught coming in though (Jacobs did that) and that's why I pointed out Canelo's timing. As the fight advance, the fight will probably be fought in close quarters and Canelo's handspeed advantage will probably be reduced by his tendency to tire as the fight progress. I still think it's a close fight though. Golovkin is getting long in the tooth....