How badly will Mayweather-McGregor hurt Canelo-GGG?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Us hardcore fans can NEVER win. Here we are, with a true hardcore fight fan superfight which mainstream fans are ALSO dying to see in Canelo-Golov.... which would have generated AT LEAST a million PPV buys.... and Mayfaggot has to ruin it all with this sideshow.

Mainstreamers aren't gonna spend money on two big PPV's in three weeks, and of the two, you KNOW they're ordering May-McGregor.

Add to the fact that this sideshow will almost certainly be a let down, and yeah, Canelo-Golov numbers are gonna take a huge hit.

How much will Canelo-Golov do now?

Prior to this joke of a "fight" being signed, I was thinking it would do 1.5 mil.

I highly doubt it breaks a million now.

Maybe 700 somethin thousand. 800k if we're lucky.

900k I'd be very pleased.

FUCK FLOYD!

2. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

It'll hurt it tremendously which is a damned shame. Canelo-GGG and Ward-Kov 2 are two of the best matchups in recent memory and will not get the attention they deserve.

I guess that's the price to pay when you have a contender for the G.O.A.T. still fighting.....

what Xplosive suffer an immediate heart attack...

3. Xplosive

Ward-Kov 2 isn't in the same discussion. That's not a fight mainstream fans give a shit about, with or without Mayweather-McGregor.

Canelo-Golov is different, soooooooo many casuals were excited for it and talking about buying it.

That talk is gone now.

They're not gonna pay for Golov-Canelo three weeks after buying this garbage.

4. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Yeah but presumably it will hurt mayweather's show too. That is consolation.

5. Xplosive

As the face of boxing (sadly) anything that hurts Floyd hurts the sport.

Until this week, I wasn't worried about Mayweather-McGregor hurting Golov-Canelo, because I was sure that if it even got made, it'd be in late fall.

6. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    golovkin alvarez will still break a million buys. kovalev ward will suffer more

7. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I don't think Ward-Kovalev II will suffer from the ''Money fight''. It will bomb no matter what

8. Xplosive

As if Kovalev-Ward was ever gonna do well...

At no point was it discussed by the mainstream because as you said, it's been horribly promoted.

There was a lot more buzz surrounding the first fight.

The fate of Golov-Canelo's numbers depend upon Floyd.

He should show the world that McGregor has NO place in a boxing ring, toy with him for a few rounds, then brutally stop him. That will actually help the sport.

But I'm POSITIVE he won't. The fix is in. Floyd will pot shot him for 12 rounds and the fight will be a bore. Fans will be turned off, and Golov-Canelo numbers will suffer.

9. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    kovalev ward wasnt ever gonna do well, but now the pre fight buzz it would normally have gotten is overshadowed by the mayweather jr - mcgregor fiasco. so it will do even worse

i dont think the outcome of the fight will have any bearing on alvarez-golovkin numbers. the proximity will for some people unwilling to buy both $100 ppvs.

10. Xplosive

But Neil, it's not SOME who are unwilling to dish out $100 for two ppvs... it's MOST PEOPLE. Minus of course, the hardcore fans, who will dish out the money for May-McGregor just to see the circus, and still order Canelo-Golov. But hardcore fans are the minority.

You think a casual will dish out an extra $100 for Canelo-Golov three weeks after May-McGregor? I don't. Cable bills aren't cheap AS IT IS, and the economy ain't exactly booming. The average American has no interest in dishing out that kind of bread twice in less than a month.

11. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Face of boxing? Give me a break. Not even sure what you're saying. You're saying it will hurt boxing if people order the Canelo fight instead of the rip-off mismatch where a guy makes his pro debut?

12. Xplosive

I misunderstood what you were saying. But no, Canelo-Golovkin will not hurt Mayweather-McGregor. It'll be the opposite.

13. Destruction and Mayhem

Truth. No one knows these cats anyway. Only us boxing fans know these guys and what this fight means. It shouldn't even be PPV to be honest.

14. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Floyd- McCregor should help Ward-Kovalev because Ward is the new super nigga boxer the Floyd fans with red dreadlocks and undersized denim worship, and that's the only accessible block to target. It should get them in the mood to hopefully watch Ward be slick and boring.

Mainstream buzz wasn't going to sell this fight. The first fight sucked and the only people who will buy are hardcore fans and casual black fans.

15. Bordon

Yeah, I can't quite grasp that. It won't happen but if Canelo-GGG comes anywhere near Floyd-Mma guy it would be an astronomical victory for boxing.

16. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

That's quite an interesting take on the matter lol

17. Bordon

I'll be watching Floyd-Mma guy on fire stick and I won't really care if the stream works. I might buy Canelo-GGG to make sure I can watch it.

18. Xplosive

That's incorrect. Ward has no fans, not even Floyd fans.

Actually, mainstream Floyd fans tend to follow Broner, if anything. They're too ignorant to realize Broner's a scrub, a lot of them still adopt the myth that he's the next Floyd.

A LOT of mainstream friends I have are saying "AB boutta do work on this Garcia!"

All I could do was chuckle...

Of course, I do also have friends who actually follow the sport, and they correctly state that Garcia will fuck Broner up.

19. Bordon

Go over to "the Scene" and read around the main section for a bit. You'll see what I mean. Wards only real marketability is as "the latest slick black boxer". He's not a big celebrity in the black community but there's a subculture for him to take advantage of. If hes lucky this ppv might sell more than the last one. Lol

20. Xplosive

I might just watch May-McGregor at a fight party. Fight parties are something I'm STRONGLY opposed to for a serious fight, because I can't stand being around casuals talk serious boxing. But this isn't a serious fight, so I might make an exception.

OR, like you said, I might watch it on a Firestick stream.

But I refuse to order it. It will NOT get my goddamn money.

Canelo-Golovkin I am ordering. No doubt about it.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

Mainstream Floyd fans follow Broner? Please....no one's ever heard of broner...

22. Destruction and Mayhem

Why do people order this shit? I just go to Bars and pay cover. Shiiiiiiiiiiiit

By the way...we're all dissing May-Mcg but every man women and child is going to watch that spectacle, just because.

23. Xplosive

I just explained in the second sentence of that post why I don't go to bars and pay cover for big fights.

Big fights are an intimate thing for a lot of us.

So in the case of Golov-Canelo, yes, I'd rather pay extra on my bill in the privacy of my home, than pay a much cheaper cover in a bar surrounded by loud, ignorant casuals who fuck up the experience for me.

24. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I think even Floyd will find great difficulty not KO'ing McGregor...

25. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Let's take the Mayweather v McGregor fight out of tge equation for a moment and think: 'What % of people interested in Golovkin v Canelo are casual fans against those that are hardcore'?

Now apply the same logic to Mayweather v McGregor....

26. Destruction and Mayhem

Canelo vs GGG is somewhat of a crossover appeal type fight particularly for Mexicans so it'll attract a large percentage of casual fans. Most of the May mcgrgor audience would be UFC people I'd presume...but hardcore boxing fans will be curious to see it regardless of what they say publicly (like trump supporters). Hardcore fans will ( many begrudgingly ) unite behind mayweather against the common enemy which are the UFC fans

27. Double L

Double L Book Reader

See. You might be under-estimating the number of actual boxing fans, such as yourself, and including hispanics, who will undoubtedly order the canelo fight and not the mayweather fight. A good deal of them, unlike you, might otherwise have held their nose and ordered the may fight. But given the canelo fight is happening, they will not have to. I think i personally fall into that category although i've been bracing myself, hoping to resist the may fight if it happened. But realistically, had it not been for the canelo fight, i might have caved. Not it is not even a temptation to order the rip-off may fight since i can watch the canelo fight. And that is why i think there will be cannibalization on both sides

28. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

As Looooooooooooong as Canelo-Golovkin Gets Love from ESPN, the Numbers Shouldn't Be Affected All that Much...

REED:cool:

29. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED's Feeling The Impact TONIGHT...

REED's Established a Pattern w/his Extended Family, Ordering Mainstream PPV Fights, Boxing and/or MMA...As Such, The EXPECTATION is for REED to Host Mayweather-McGregor @ the Crib...This has ALREADY Been Discussed w/the Fam and Everything...Cookout, Grill, the Whole Works...

This Time Last Week, the Plan was to Order Ward-Kovalev II and Canelo-Golovkin, of Course...

What to Do, What to Do???!!!...

Hopefully, a Kind Fightbeater Has a Ward-Kovalev Stream this Evening...

REED:emoji_pray:

30. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

It's Oscars fault. He could have made the fight last year but wanted to marinate it instead.

31. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Canelo GGG will be a let down too.