Justice League - Trailer/Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Anthony, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Rotten Tomatoes 39% from critics...users 89%...biased bullshit

2. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Are you another one of these DC fanboy conspiracy theorists?

3. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Don't forget, comic-book fanboys are notoriously subjective and / or stupid.
    Basically in their eyes neither Marvel or DC have or will have released an average movie: they'e all 'amazing'...

4. Joe King

Player
    Just saw it. 8.5/10. Not perfect but far from terrible. The critics had their scores and reviews done months ago. Fuck them.

All the complaints I've seen were unjustified. Sure it could have used a longer running time but that was the studio mandate for a 2 hour run time,not the directors. It's a fun movie. A little humor goes a long way.

My one complaint is the weak music score. That is why Marvel movies do well. They pony up and pay for established songs and milk it to death in marketing and in the movie.

Justice League is better than Ragnarok and Guardians 2 and Wonder Woman. Even the complaints about Steppenwolf were unjustified. He was much better than Ego or Aires.

5. Joe King

Player
    No but I do see an obvious pattern.

6. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I wish is good, honestly. I was so disappointed with the BvS: DOJ, but did enjoyed Wonder Woman a lot.

7. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Watched last night.
    To say it was an endurance test is putting it mildly: id heard someone say it was like watching the Director's Cut of 'Heaven's Gate' and more...and they aren't wrong.
    It was excruciating.

The plot (if you can call it that) makes one of the pre-Dark Knight Batman movies seem like a masterclass with regards to characters and coherent plot.
    Too many characters with nothing to do.

The movie is one long fight, interspersed with some vague interactions between the characters (who all seem either indestructible or can fly) with comic-quotes that sound like they were added post-production.
    The best thing in this movie is Gal Gadot which now makes you see why Wonder Woman is by far, the best DC movie.

Shoddy, ill-conceived, stupendously boring, massively over-the-top Transformers -style CGI-orgasm mess of a movie.
    DC just seem hell-bent on applying 'more is less' to all their movies...and here, once again the result speaks for itself.

5/10

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Oh, one more thing:

[​IMG]

9. Panchyprsss

I think audiences agree with you, Magus, as its projected weekend opening continues shrinking by the day. It is now almost certain that 'Justice League' will have a $93 million opening which is a far cry from 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' $166 million opening. Heck it is even lower than 'Wonder Woman' $103 million opening (and that film cost less than half of the budget for 'Justice League'). The DCEU future is now in BIG TROUBLE as this film, which had a reported $300 million pricetag without counting over $100 million more on marketing, has to earn at least $1 billion just to recoup its investment. WB has to rethink everything now as the only profitable franchise seems to be Wonder Woman.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Furthermore:
    * why leave put one of the iconic members of Justice League of America, Green Latern and include their version of 'Robocop'?
    * why replace established Grant Gustin as The Flash? Because Ezra Miller was bought in to play the 'fast-man-who's-funnier' role (see, Quicksilver in X-Men)
    * Aquaman - just comes out with "yo, brah" comments throughout and was always a character to poke fun at in the 1960s
    * Ben Affleck looks throughout the movie like Jennifer Lawrence did in the last X-Men movie: "I'd rather be anywhere...but here"
    * US$300 million budget. Fuckin really???

11. Destruction and Mayhem

Just watched it. Critics are crazy....it wasn’t just good is was very good. Better than Wonder Woman.

8.5 / 10

12. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Great, informative review.

13. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

IMO that’s not saying much. I easily expect it to be better than WW.

14. Destruction and Mayhem

Ok, here's my review...

I'll start with the weaknesses first.

Steppenwolf was a poor villain. His character wasn't developed at all. You didn't see any real evil or malice from him and you didn't see him demonstrate any significant power. Sure he was a tough son of a bitch who hit hard and had a huge weapon..but that was about it. Nothing much to him and a missed opportunity.

Aquaman was virtually useless. I never understood what his purpose was in the first place and after this film I understand it even less. Unless you're fighting in water what good is he?

Those are the only weaknesses.

Now to the rest....

I liked the flashback scene to the beginning of time when the armies of the Earth were fighting against Steppenwolf and his para-demons. Reminiscent of the beginning of Lord of the Rings and the unity of elves and men in the fight against Sauron (also the beginning of Thor with the Frost Giants against the Asgardians). That was good shit...and I like the not-so-subtle shout out to the green lantern corps.

Wonder woman was EXCELLENT as usual. Her scene foiling the terrorist plot at the bank was absolutely excellent. Probably the best action sequence in the film.

Batfleck is great, what can I say. Batman's gadgetry was utilized well in this one.

Flash had some good moments. Yes, Ezra Miller is annoying as fuck...in similar vein to Jesse Eisenberg, but the character was utilized well. I also liked the two moments that he had with Superman (I wont spoil it for those who haven't watched it)

I thought the story line behind why and how to bring back Superman was well handled and wasn't a cluster fuck of nonsense like it could have been. When Superman returned, I enjoyed the initial confrontation. It's always fun in a superhero film when the heroes are fighting each other (think Thor vs Iron Man/Hulk etc).

There were also some funny moments that were enjoyable like When Diana used the lasso on Aquaman, or when the heroes disappeared from Gordon with Flash to stay behind only to disappear too. The humour worked well but was kept to a minimum, which I liked.

All in all it obviously wasn't the perfect film, definitely not in the league of Avengers or Civil War in terms of Superhero ensembles, but it was by far the best DCEU offering to date and both entertaining and rewatchable..

15. Destruction and Mayhem

I agree with you and give it the same score. I also rate it over Thor Ragnarok. The only thing I disagree with you is steppenwolf. I thought he was a poor villain.

16. Joe King

Player
    I agree with your review. I don't think Steppenwolf was great or anything but it was more of the norm across the board because they are all CGI fest villains and under developed. I just meant it wasn't worse than what we've gotten recently.

17. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

How were Aqua Man's WATER Scenes???...REED's VERY Interested in How That Aspect Comes Across on Screen...

REED:cool:

18. Joe King

Player
    They were nothing special to be honest. It was very quick and CGI heavy. Amber Heard looked hot as fuck though!

19. Destruction and Mayhem

I will say though that caville is growing on me as Superman. I didn’t think he fit the role initially but with every successive film he’s looking and acting more and more the part

20. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Cavill was fine in Man Of Steel - and has the potential to play the role well, but he is limited by the complete 'Snyder-shit' direction and scripts of DC films, which try and fail to straddle the line between glorifying and dehumanizing Superman.

In attempting to portray Superman as a benevolent 'god', the movies instead conveys the image of an increasingly detached and unstable hero, who simultaneously loses touch with the public and the audience of the films.

As someone mentioned above, Zak Snyder being removed totally from the DC Universe will totally level the playing field with Marvel.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

Cavill still doesn’t have reeves gravitas but he’s getting better. I thought he was terrible in man of steel. I found him to have a weak personality

22. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

[​IMG]

23. Destruction and Mayhem

Yes his face did look heavily CGI'd at times and I didn't understand why at the time. Then I read about the fact he had to re-shoot with a mustache and they needed to CGI that shit out. I would have thought that it would have been easier for the other film to put a fake mustache on him than force WB to graphic it out.

It didn't have much impact on the film though.

I have to talk about Gal Gadot again though....amazing as wonder woman. Beautiful almost beyond belief. Most actresses cannot live up to their comic book characters in terms of beauty (think Mary Jane in the original Spider-Man films) but Gadot is just as beautiful, plus she's a great actress.

24. Panchyprsss

She is pretty (and skinny), but great actress? Come on, that is a stretch! She can play the part of WW definitely, but I don't see her pulling a 'Sophie's Choice' performance.

25. Joe King

Player
    Yeah she's stunning. Looks better as Wonder Woman each time.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

No one but Meryl Streep is pulling a Sophie's choice performance....let's be real.

Ok..."great" may be too strong a word right now, but she's a good actress.

27. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Not Surprising for an Ensemble Piece, In Hindsight...Play it SAFE Since he's Just Being Intro'ed....Can't Blame 'em...

That Said, for Aqua Man to RESONATE as a Stand Alone Character, the Cinematography of his WATER Scenes Will Need to Be Ground Breaking...& Yes, Marvel's Paying CLOSE Attention to the WAY Aqua Man Will Be Filmed, in Regards to Possible Sub-Mariner Films - Feel FREE to Interject NOW Panchy, w/51 "current" Sub-Mariner links, photos, rumors, etc. -

Anything LESS Than Charles XavierESQUE Mind Control of Any and All SEA Creatures Will Be a LETDOWN to REED...Whales, Sharks, Octopus, Minnows, Sting Rays, Eels, You Name it....REED Wants to See Aqua Man MANIPULATE Them All, Fully SUBMERGED In Water...He Needs to LOOK Like he's COMFORTABLE Under Water, NOT Like a Guy Holding His Breath While Under Water...

Otherwise, Aqua Man Stands NO Chance of Being a Sustainable DC Character...

28. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED "Felt" Caville IMMEDIATELY...

Superman was a Fairly UNDERSTATED Character, Vocally...Even as Clark Kent, he Certainly Wasn't VERBOSE...More than ANY DC Character, Superman is about his LOOK and Caville Conveys a Modern Day Superman VERY Well...

29. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Honestly I think Cavill is fine but what has been missing is just ONE FUCKING SCENE of him with the Superman theme. Lighten up and hit his music. That'll get the fans going.

30. Joe King

Player

I think it will be fine. I'm really happy they cast a Hawaiian to play Aquaman. Aquaman SHOULD be an islander. Momoa has the charisma to carry a standalone film IMO.