Marquez vs Arguello @ 130

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Xplosive, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Who wins? Both with beautiful technique, and unreal accuracy. Both great intelligence, and an understanding of how to place punches to maximize damage. However, I gotta favor Arguello because he had the bigger firepower, and the better chin. Marquez's chin isnt bad per say... but its not good enough to hold up to Arguello's power all night.

Arguello KO 11 in a classic war of extreme skills.

2. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

Have to agree, I could even see JMM ahead on the cards by a slim margin at the time of the stoppage. JMM has the better legs and the better handspeed, but Arguello was a similiarly intellectual fighter, and he studied his opponents to find his opening and place those devastating shots. This would have been a beauty

3. BoxFan

BoxFan WBC Champion

Guys that know me, know I am a HUGE!!!! Arguello fan, but in all honesty, no one in the sport is as smart as JMM or has the arsenal that he can pull out of his ass.
    JMM by TKO in the 10th, after getting dropped in the early rounds.
    But honestly if they fought ten times, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out even.
    Seriously a great matchup right here, probably one of the best fights to be posted here, good job X.

4. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    to me they are the same calibur. Absolute toss up

5. Double L

Double L Book Reader

JMM's combination counter-punching would've really befuddled Arguello. And Arguello had slow azz feet. I don't think Marquez would've been stupid enough to stand in front of Arguello to be measured.

And given JMM's commitment to going to the body, I see him winning.

I know Arguello had a powerful left-hook but it was slow as hell - I don't think it would be much of a factor. And even Arguello's right hand I think would be too slow to land with any frequency.

I mean by the third round, Pacquiao with his fast hands could barely land his left hand. How's Arguello gonna land that log of a right hand he has?

6. BoxFan

BoxFan WBC Champion

Arguello might not have been incredibly fast but to call his punches slow, is a very big stretch

7. Xplosive

Yup. Makes me wonder if Double's ever seen his fights with Escalera. Arguello WOULD land on Marquez. JM is no defensive genius, and has good, but hardly great legs.

8. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    I'm gonna say "probably not". Hell...he once picked Corrales to KO Cervantes with ease and then later 'fessed up that he had never even seen Cervantes fight.

9. Xplosive

Woooowww... please tell me your not serious. Ive seen a good number of Cervantes' fights.... he woulda fucked Corrales up BADLY, and I was a big Chico fan.

10. Double L

Double L Book Reader

when we're talking about JMM, Arguello's hands were relatively slow. Especially at featherweight and 130 when almost every opponent he faced had faster hands than him. It's a testament to his patience, accuracy and timing that he managed 99% of the time to overcome his hand-speed deficit and win. But relatively speaking, especially when he was fighting the small guys, he was not a quick handed fighter.

11. Double L

Double L Book Reader

that's absolutely a lie. i've seen Cervantes fight. and i probably would pick Corrales to beat him.

and to X, I happen to have Arguello's first fight with Escalera on DVD - probably in better condition than yours. So go fuck yourself.

12. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    It's not a lie. You said it. So keep your anger issues to yourself.

13. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Arguello's incredible punching skill, timing and accuracy are being VASTLY underrated by Trouble Mel:nono:

as is his POWER

14. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    Yep. And not just him. Quite a few folks seem to underrate Arguello. I don't get it myself. During his career he was the best fighter in 3 different weight classes, defeated quite a few quality fighters and came close to adding the 140 lb title to his belt collection against Pryor, who eventually became considered one of the best fighters in that division's history.

And somehow now he has become a plodding, slow-handed, overrated puncher.

Arguello was an excellent boxer with great power whose punching accuracy more than made up for any lack of speed.

15. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    well said, he was also superb at parrying opponent's punches, and he was a study in craft and patience

without hesitation, Arguello is certainly among the top 25 fighters p4p in the history of the sport, in my opinion

16. Xplosive

:laughing::laughing::laughing: @ the thought of Corrales beating Kim Pambele.

Thats almost as laughable as the time you said Castillo would have beaten Aaron Pryor.

17. BoxFan

BoxFan WBC Champion

I agree with you and Broadway Joe, good posts guys

18. BoxFan

BoxFan WBC Champion

Ouch....I mean ouch...

19. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

Thanks, Pun

20. BoxFan

BoxFan WBC Champion

:partie:

21. Double L

Double L Book Reader

yeah patience is the key to beting JMM. i swear the so called historians have filled so many respectable fight fans with exaggerations and distortions of reality.

example: benitez schooled duran - hardly -he on but it was a close fight

22. BoxFan

BoxFan WBC Champion

In the true sense, sure Benitez didn't "school" Duran, but he clearly beat Duran, and the fact that some clearly beat Duran in his prime...I don't care what ya call it, an ass whoopin, or a schooling...
    Ya just don't do that to Duran...
    So ya can call it what ya want...but don't downgrade it.

23. Double L

Double L Book Reader

i'll downgrade it alli want - it happened at 154 and benitez was allowed to hol everytime duran got close (illagal).

24. BoxFan

BoxFan WBC Champion

Why do I even try?
    I would comeback with a response but honestly, it just all seems like a broken record.

25. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    ok this is getting out of hand.

Benitez absolutely embarassed Duran.

26. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :bears::bears:

27. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

Dude, he hammered Duran to the body in that fight and outfought him on the inside

28. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

Dude, you are an idiot. Alexis Arguello is a legend for a reason -- he EARNED that reputation by being a dominant featherweight champion, a dominant Junior Lightweight champion, and a helluva lightweight champion as well

you so underestimate him

look at the list of some of the good guys he beat cleanly: Ruben Olivares (a motivated, well trained Olivares no less) Royal Kobayashi, Alfredo Escalera (2x), Rolando Navarette, Bazooka Limon, Bobby Chacon, Cornelius Boza Edwards, Ray Mancini, Jim Watt, Ruben Castillo, Art Hafey, Vilomar Fernandez, Andy Ganigan

what most impresses me about his wins over the quartet of Limon/Chacon/Boza/Navarette is how all four were FAR MORE cautious fighting him than was customary for them regularly... they were all clearly respectful of his skills and his punch and they boxed far more cautiously than usual... yet he broke all of them down, stopped all of them... he punched the fight out of them with sharp precise blows

you seem to have an idea that Marquez will just dance circles around Arguello and counter him into oblivion... who did that? Ernesto Marcel managed to win a close decision over a 20 year old Arguello, and Vilomar Fernandez ran from him in a non-title 10 rounder at 135 in the middle of Arguello's 130 reign, but those losses aren't anymore relevant than Marquez's loss to Freddie Norwood... who countered Arguello with such ease? Marquez wouldn't do it either and his chin would be tested severely

29. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    I'm starting to think we need to change ESKVision(tm) to DoubleVision(tm) or at least make it a separate channel. I think Double might even be worse than Esk when it comes to distorted versions of fights he has supposedly seen.

30. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    Hater. :lol:

I think Jaws is exaggerating (who would've thought??) a bit...but Benitez was the clear winner against Duran.