Marvellous Marvin Hagler v Gerald McClellan

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

160lb

Hagler: 1980-84 version
    McClellan: pre-Benn version

2. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

McClellan hurts Hagler a few times (but Hagler is never close to being stopped) and Hagler never hurts him with any one punch, but the accumulation of punishment over the period of the fight (which would be an absolute war) would lead to the ref stopping the fight in around the 11th...with the fight being dead even on the cards. McClellan's lack of defense in the end would be his undoing.

3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Dead even on the cards my ass. That's borderline comical to say.

The early-to-mid 80s Hagler would take McClellan apart in a one sided fight, tbh.

Just a MUCH better technician with a MUCH higher ring IQ, and the chin to neautralize the only weapon Gerald had... power.

McClellan had a HORRIBLE defense, which Hagler would exploit big time.

Marvin would start out boxing smartly, using lateral movement, and pumping that piston jab, which he wouldn't be able to miss with on McClellan. Gerald would land some bombs early, Marvin would feel them, but would come back with a vengeance, letting the bully G-man know right then and there that he's fucked.

By the mid rounds, Hagler would be starting to open with combos more and more, which would all land on McClellan's horrible defense.

By the late rounds, it turns ugly. Gerald would be tired, and hurt from the accumulation, and that's when Hagler would switch from boxing mode, to going in for the kill.

The ref would eventually have to intervene, as Hagler would be teeing off on a defenseless McClellan.

LOL @ even on the cards.

Fortunato likes this.
  4. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Hagler would outbox McClellan and stop him in the late rounds. He might have to shake off some big right hands early, but Hagler had a solid defense to go with his iron chin, so I don't think he would have to take that many.

5. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

So, McClellan who was a bigger puncher at 160 and 168 than Hearns was....doesnt even get to shake Hagler more than he was in Rd1 vs Hearns in 1985?

6. Xplosive

There's no evidence at all of McClellan being a bigger puncher than Hearns.

The man is absurdly overrated sometimes. Hagler would outclass him big time.

7. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hagler was barely shook by hearn. He's a terrible matchup for Mcclellan. Gman would land a few bombs, but Hagler would absorb them and just land punches after punches on him amd stop him mid late rounds.

Unless he decide to dance around jabbing like he did against Briscoe, in this case he wins an uneventful UD

8. Xplosive

I wouldn't say "barely shook". Hagler was definitely hurt by Hearns, but he recovered extremely quickly.

In any case, Hagler wouldn't fight G-man the same way he fought Hearns.

Hagler jumped on Hearns because he knew full well how difficult it is to outbox Hearns.

McClellan was not the same technician as Hearns. Marvin would pick him apart from the outside, then turn up the heat on the inside once McClellan tires.

9. Xplosive

Hagler is THE WORST possible matchup for McClellan at 160.

I think McClellan matches up better with Hopkins.

Not saying he beats Hopkins, because he wouldn't, but B-Hop wouldn't beat him up as badly as Hagler would.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

McClellan is unlike previous Hagler opponents:

He's a BIG middleweight, who is also tall, who also has a solid chin and who has frightening one punch power. The only other two fighters Hagler fought that possessed one punch power were blown up Jnr Middles with relatively soft chins.This is NOT a routine defense for Hagler and don't act like it is. Hagler has his hands full with this one.

11. Xplosive

What good is power ALONE when you're facing the best chin of all time?

And on top of chin, prime Hagler had a very solid defense.

For a Floyd fanatic, you should be able to understand the saying "skills pays the bills."

McClellan didn't have the SKILL LEVEL to push Hagler.

People seem to forget this but, Julian Jackson was actually OUTBOXING McClellan in their first fight before running into that right hand bomb in the 5th round.

McClellan was a limited fighter with a bad defense, questionable stamina, and fairly low ring IQ.

I think G-man does very well in MM's against CERTAIN fighters, but goddamn sure not Marvin Hagler.

12. Destruction and Mayhem

Gman didn't just have power, he also had a chin and size. I agree that his poor defense and questionable stamina leads to his demise in this one....but it's not like Hagler, who was a fairly average to small middleweight, regularly took on huge solid-chinned devastating punchers. I mean Hagler went the distance with tiny older Duran for GAAAAAD sakes!

13. Xplosive

I knew you'd bring up the Duran fight, but the FACT is, even an old, middleweight Duran had FORGOTTTEN more boxing skill than Gerald ever knew.

Gerald's size only means he'd be a big target. Hagler had a freakish reach for his height and would have no difficulty at all landing on McClellan, just like had no difficulty landing on Fulgencio Obelmejias, who like G-man, was 6'1.

Best case scenario for Gerald, he lasts the distance, but that only means that he takes a 12-15 round ass whuppin.

But given his shit stamina, I don't think he lasts the distance.

14. Destruction and Mayhem

Maybe, yet Gman would have wiped his ass with Duran at 160lbs in less than 3 rounds.

15. Xplosive

Yeah, I would pick G-man to stop Duran at 160. Styles. I think Duran would make Gerald look bad for a few rounds, but eventually I think he gets caught and stopped.

But that means nothing when discussing Hagler-McClellan. Hagler would take the dog killer apart in clinical fashion.

16. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

You're probably right - McClellan tended to swarm guys very early, Hearns had better technique that allowed his power to carry up to 175-190 which I doubt McClellan would.

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Hagler had a great chin but that does not mean utter immunity. If/when he is hit with hard shots it will impact his punch output, etc. Point is, even if you rule out a kncockout for mcclellan, his power is still a factor in the fight.

I still pick hagler but i agree with sly it is far from a routine defense.

18. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Also, didnt McClellan tend to telegraph his punches somewhat?
    Hearns was pretty destructive at in-fighting which is how he tagged Hagler in the first 30 seconds of Rd1...

19. Xplosive

Hearns also had one of the best jabs ever, whereas G-man primarily used his jab as a range finder for the right hand. Definitely didn't have the piston jab that Tommy had.

20. Destruction and Mayhem

Tommy didn't exactly use his jab against Hagler, lol.

21. Xplosive

My point being Gerald didn't have a stiff enough jab to deter or counter Hagler's own jab.

He had one thing.... a huge right hand. And Hagler, on top of having an iron chin, was a solid defender, and wouldn't be getting hit with everything McClellan throws. The opposite is not true. Gerald would be getting hit with everything Hagler throws.

I swear, you must be thinking about the 87 Hagler. That version of Hagler would have a difficult time with G-man.

I'm talking about the 80-83 Hagler.

This fight would be more one sided than you and Double think.

There's PLENTY of middleweights in history who would give Hagler a tougher fight than G-man would.

Gerald is basically tailor made for a prime Hagler.