MMA Perspective of Mayweather-McGregor???

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by REEDsART, Jun 15, 2017.

1. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

By Now, Everybody Knows the Fight Has Been Signed for August 26th...

Is There ANY Downside to this, from the MMA Side of the Coin???...

REED:cool:

2. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Well after hitting a jackpot payout Conor may want to retire from combat sports, meaning their two biggest stars (McGregor and Rousey) have retired. The other draw Jon Jones is a coke head

3. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Heard the interview with Jon Jones on Joe Rogan: clearly still got problems and/or an addictive personality...

4. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

No Doubt...

ADMISSION is the 1st Part of Recovery, yet Jones is Still Very Much in DENIAL...Until Jones Fully SUBMITS to his Addiction/Personality, he's Doomed to Replicate his Failures...

Getting KICKED OFF UFC 200, the Eve Of, is BIGGER Than Anything Jon Jones has Actually ACCOMPLISHED...REED Will Still ROOT for Dude, but REED's LOST Faith that he'll STAY on the Straight and Narrow...

And Who Knows, w/Rousey Being EXPOSED and Jones Undermining his OWN Career, Maybe that PROPELLED Dana White into Making Mayweather-McGregor???...It's NOT Like he Can TRUST Jon Jones Anymore...

From REED's Perspective, there's Really NO Downside to McGregor Challenging Floyd in a BOXING Match, Unless Floyd Wiped his Ass w/Conor EARLY, Which Hasn't Been in Floyd's Fighter DNA for Probably 15 Years Now...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  5. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

I think it's a win/win for MMA. Even if Conor gets the shit kicked out of him, he was in with one of the best boxers of his era. It's kind of expected to happen.

If he actually wins, he wipes his ass with boxing in one swipe.

Not to mention, he has brass balls to fight someone of Floyds caliber on his own playing field. Something Floyd would never even close to consider.

6. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

The downside is that Conor has the potential to be one of the greatest of all time in MMA. I don't know if he'll fight for 3 million again in the UFC after this kind of payday.

He has a puncher's chance if Floyd has gotten slower since his last fight. Odds are he'll get embarrassed the same way Floyd would get embarrassed fighting in the UFC.

7. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I think this is Dana White's 'last big score' before he leaves the UFC.

Unless Conor does the impossible, this can only hurt MMA in the eyes of the casual fans.

TFK

8. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed. And it won't help him in his negotiation with other fighters that he allowed McGregor to make millions of dollars in a boxing fight.

9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Like REED Said on the Boxing Thread, he Thinks Conor ENJOYS Fighting...He Obviously ISN'T Fighting for Free, but he Strikes REED as the Kind of Dude that WOULD...

w/That Mentality, he's Not Hanging Up his 4oz. Gloves Anytime Soon...

This Fight will SET Him for Life, but REED Can't See Him Retiring...Conor KNOWS the Landscape of UFC Payouts, Which is WHY This Bout is Happening...

Win, Lose or Draw, he'll Segue Back to the Sport that Made him Famous and Continue to Dominate...Dude is Only What, 27-28???...REED Thinks we'll Get @ LEAST 3-5 More Fighting Years Out of McGregor...

10. Jesus of montreal

well, for what it's worth, Connor said numerous times that he want to quit the fight game early, and that the plan is to get rich fast and bolt afterward.

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

You REALLY Think So???...

Even Casual Fans HAVE to Realize the Deck is Stacked AGAINST McGregor in a Boxing Ring...

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

We'll Eventually See What Happens, but McGregor HASN'T Been a Household Name for Tooooo Terribly Looooooong...

REED Thinks Conor LIKES the Spot he's Currently In and Won't WILLINGLY Give it Up Anytime Soooooon...

13. Jesus of montreal

well, seeing Mcgregor getting humiliated sure won't be good for MMA (I don't think it will be too detrimental, but it will have an impact)

14. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

As much as I hate the boxing vs MMA feud, it exists to a lot of people.

And it's gonna be a hard sell in the future if the 'best' fighter in MMA gets humiliated against a retired 40 year old boxer, no matter how great he was of a fighter and how much the deck is stacked against Conor. If there were a guaranteed rematch in the UFC under MMA rules, that would go a long way toward evening up the score, but I don't see that happening in a thousand lifetimes.

This whole thing is a business arrangement. The fight is secondary. Conor knows he's not winning. The UFC knows he's not winning. Everyone involved knows he's not winning. All of the inevitable trash talk that will happen leading up to the fight, the pushing and shoving at the weigh ins and press conferences, it will all be a big show. This is two guys about to make a boatload of money who are willing to go along with the theatrics that goes with it to make that money. But any animosity between the two is completely made up.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a premeditated scuffle breaks out between the two at a press conference, where Conor tries to choke out Floyd, or roundhouse kick him, or take him down.....anything MMA related, to plant the 'What if he tries that during the fight????' seed, as a way of promoting the fight and bumping up the buy rate.

TFK

15. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

That's how I see it too. And I wouldn't even be surprised if Floyd agreed to carry Connor and make it look a bit competitive so that it's a ''win-win'' for everyone involved. Pure sham

16. Jeffy

No it won't. Has nothing to do with MMA. It's a boxing match. Completely out of his element.

17. Jesus of montreal

it will break the illusion of a lot of the causual that thinks that Mcgregor could cut it in boxing and that MMA fighters hands are as good as the one of top boxers. Hell, the reason this fight got made is a good proof that a lot of persons overrate the boxing skills of MMA guys. Thinking that Mcgregor getting humiliated wouldn't reflect badly on MMA for these guys is ridiculous, since a lot of them think he will win this fight.

Personally, I agree that it shouldn't have an impact, but most causuals won't see it this way.

18. Jeffy

Most casuals realize that is a boxing match, therefore not having an impact on his success in MMA. This is clearly an exhibition shit show.

19. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

'Casual' fans are exactly that. Casual fans. They read online fansites, they watch PPV's and they talk lots and lots of shit. I've heard a good few of my MMA watching friends who think that UFC fighters are just as good at this boxing lark as boxers. I know one or two who think Floyd will lose this fight.

If Floyd wins early, by KO, it will do some harm to the UFC 'brand' among that type of fan. And there are lots of them, just as there are in boxing. By contrast, for many casual 'boxing/MMA' fans, Mayweather IS boxing today. He is the most recognisable name in the sport, the consensus best of the era. If he doesn;t win early, it will do considerable harm to the reputation of boxing among them (and generally IMO).

MTF

20. Jesus of montreal

you're clearly out of touch with reality. Go take a look on FB and you'll see numerous persons who think that McGregor will KO PBF

21. Jeffy

I'm sorry, I didn't mean casuals. I meant to type that most MMA fans realize that it is a boxing match.

22. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

There is a big MMA component to this fight.

McGregor, if he lasts a few rounds, will gas big time. Boxing is much harder on stamina over 12 rds.
    McGregor will not have the footwork to stop Floyd- he'll be on the backfoot, literally, limiting his movement.

23. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I tend to agree with this but I give him a few more than a few rounds - Im predicting by Rd 6 or 7, his arms are going to drop alarmingly, whatever footwork he has will be like walking through syrup and Floyd will just pick him off and get a stoppage.

24. mw314159

Conor's best chance is to fight aggressively in the early rounds. This is also the strategy that will take his energy away early and lead to a mid round knockout through fatigue if he doesn't land the big shot.

I don't think he has a chance, but he thinks he has a chance. He believes in himself and his potential to win. That's what makes it exciting for casuals, the fact that he believes in himself. He's already done the impossible in MMA. Knocking out Aldo with one punch and winning the lightweight title afterwards.

It will be a "victory" for MMA if he goes the distance with Floyd. I don't expect him to do that well.

I'm more interested in seeing him back in the UFC. A superfight with the Woodley / Maia winner, or a lightweight title defense against Ferguson or whoever.

25. Jeffy

Woodley?? Hell no. Woodley is way to big for Conor.

We need Conor vs. Garbrandt. Fun fight!

26. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

We aso need McGregor v Nurmagomedov: even´funner´ fight!

27. Jeffy

Nah. Nurmagomedov will just look to take him down.

Garbrandt would be an epic stand up war between two elite strikers.

28. mw314159

Woodley is way too big, but Conor has a better chance of beating him than Mayweather. It would be more important in MMA history if a fighter can be the first guy to win the title in 3 weight classes.

He has lots of fun fights at lightweight waiting for him when / if he returns to the UFC.

29. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Point taken.

Still hope we can get McGregor v Diaz III

30. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Bullshit. Stand by it. Khabib flattens McGregor out like a seawater sole, and then does all sorts of balloon animal shit to him. You want this.