One myth about Canelo that needs to die asap...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

He's not a big puncher. If us "haters" have to concede that he's better overall than given credit for, then his nuthuggers must also concede that he's not the puncher they give him credit for.

Kell Brook buzzed Golov moreso than Canelo ever did. And Golov wasn't laughing when Jacobs hit him the way he laughed off Canelo's shots. He couldn't stop, or seriously hurt punching bag Chumpez Junior. He couldn't stop, or seriously hurt mediocre chinned Cotto.

Stop calling the Ginger a devastating puncher.

2. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I can't recall many calling it devastating? I think the popular perception has always been that its very solid, not devastating. I think it's clear GGg - like alvarez himself - has a very good chin

3. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Id need to watch it in slowmo but I thought alvarez hurt ggg in the 10th, about 30s in, which was the only time in the fight either appeared wobbled. He also visibly backed him up with body shot combos a few times. If ggg was derisive of canelos power the converse was at least as true...and that hardly leads to the conclusion ggg can't punch

4. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

If that's the case you could say the same thing about GGG's power. He never actually seemed to hurt Canelo either.

Don't forget Canelo came up in weight, was able to keep GGG honest, back him up at times and also marked up his face more so than I recall it ever being. So I think a more honest assessment is that both guys just have outstanding granite chins.

Also doesn't Cotto have a pretty granite chin himself. I don't recall him being stopped or put down so much as the ref having to save him with a TKO but I could be mismembering that.

5. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Cotto was decked and beaten badly by Pacquiao.

6. mexican wedding shirt

Xman, I'd say Canelo's power was sort of as expected. He can obviously punch, but he's not the devastating puncher he is made out to be. Golovkin did respect his power to an extent, but less than both LeMook and Jacobs.

His power is weird - despite his build, I'd say his power is more down to speed and snappiness than raw power and torque. Golovkin is more the opposite. Golovkin just has natural power in his shots, and doesn't need to load up.

Although it looked like Golovkin's power was overrated in this fight, I think it's down to Canelo's admittedly excellent chin, and ability to roll with punches.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

He's like Vitali or Froch. He's heavy handed and strong but not really fluid enough to land in the sort of fashion required to routinely score the sort of stoppages that are fully representative of his strength and heavy handedness. He's obviously not as good as Froch or Vitali, both of whom could do a much higher output.

He keeps guys honest, tires them out, tries to be stronger and more resilient than they are. He's a sort of glorified, well-managed average pressure fighter who throws in a few combos to make people think he's something different.

He reminds me of George Chuvalo, a strong boy with heavy hands but not really having the overall fleetness required.

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Golovkin doesn't have one-shot power but he's like Julio César Chávez: every shot he throws is heavy and he knows where to punch.

9. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Cotto was 1 punch away from being stopped by Ricardo Torres at 140.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

You're creating straw men here. NO ONE has said that Canelo is a devastating puncher. What is clear from this fight though is that his power is equivalent to GGGs.

11. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Nah I still think ggg is a bigger puncher. Or at least, as mex says, a more effortless and consistently hard hitter.

I think pretty much everyone here would have about the same actual assessment of alvarez' power. I think X just keeps projecting the opinion of youtube commenters he's read onto other fightbeat posters

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  12. Baron

Baron "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I don't remember thinking GGG was hurt at any point during the fight but I felt Canelo was hurt by a left hook at the end of the 9th. I was expecting GGG to stop him the next round but he started the round very well and if I'm not mistaken, even won it.

13. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Nah you're right - ive since seen the replay and it was just a balance thing. When I watched it 'live' it looked like he'd been wobbled momentarily by a counter punch but he wasnt

I'm getting a new tv this week so hopefully i'll talk less shite after the next big fight!

14. lb 4 lb

That was my point. Pac beat him up with an accumulation of punches but I don't recall him being hurt by any single shot. It was the same with Margarito and his loaded gloves, so why should anyone criticize Canelo because he never stopped Cotto.

If anything I'd say it's Canelo's lack of a high punch output as the reason he fails to stop more fighters like Cotto. Against GGG I thought Canelo was running around so much to avoid GGG's power but I realized he was doing it so he wouldn't have to throw punches.

15. mexican wedding shirt

Cotto was floored with single punches by Pacquiao.

I agree though that he's hardly chinny. His rep as being "fragile" seems more based on not being able to take sustained punishment as well as many elite boxers.

You're exactly right btw. Canelo does have potentially formidable offense, he simply doesn't throw enough.

16. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

GGG was defending a lot more vs Canelo then he was vs Brook. Against Brook he was literally trying to headbutt Brooks fists. He didn't care about Brooks power at all.

17. mexican wedding shirt

Yeah, he clearly respected Canelo's power more. He walked through Brook like nothing.

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Alvarez is a strong man. Big thick neck and shoulders. Strong boy. Good boy. Drama fight he did not want, however.

19. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

He's also not as slick on defense as a lot of his groupies made him out to be. He's not that mobile either.

And it all comes in spurts. When he tires, his only answer is to lay on the ropes and collect his wind.

I never saw him as a big puncher. So that wasn't surprising.

20. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Not surprising to me, I've said for awhile he is a decent puncher. He has some highlight reel KOs over chinny boxers, but that hardly makes him a big puncher. He hit Mosley with everything in the kitchen sink and Mosley didn't go into a shell like he did against Floyd, Manny, Forrest, Winky, etc...And this was a shot 40+ something Shane.

GGG respected Canelo's power though, at least for the first few rounds. Later on, he lost respect for Canelo's power.

Cotto was definitely hurt by the Pacquiao uppercut that dropped him in the 2nd knockdown of the fight. The Corley & Torres fights made people question Cotto's punch resistance, as well as whether or not he was being weakened by making 140.

I think Cotto's chin is okay. To call him "chinny" would be too critical IMO. Out of 10, I'd give his chin maybe a 7?

cdogg187 likes this.
  21. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

nobody on fightbeat ever said he was a great puncher. A solid puncher yes, but not more. seems like it would be more interesting to debate this with people who actually think he's a great puncher lol

22. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Ricardo Torres was a Vicious Puncher.

23. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

This..

REED's Referred to Canelo as an "Even Handed Puncher", Which he Is...

Never Rated Him Amongst TBE Hardest Punchers of his Era, However...

Good Handspeed, Good Shot Selection/Placement of Shots + Even Handed Power is What Enables Canelo to Get KO's....

REED

24. mexican wedding shirt

Some of his KO's are admittedly brutal, but it's a bit of a red herring - Kirkland is big but chinny, and Khan is a chinny 135 pounder ffs. It's amazing he even went 6 rounds.

25. lb 4 lb

Yep, any average fight fan who only saw those two Canelo fights would come away thinking he was the 154lb version of Iron Mike.

26. mexican wedding shirt

You know it's funny, I was going to post the same thing but forgot. Canelo is the darling of the casual fan. On sherdog for example, they do kind of act like he's a 154 pound Tyson, and atg puncher.

27. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Canelo being the "darling on the casual fan" is why so many guys on this website of boxing snobs...refuse to give the guy a break. You fellas here always OVERcompensate for whoever the casuals like.

28. mexican wedding shirt

Hut will testify, I've never rated the guy, long before he became properly famous. Never rated him, never liked his style.

So I doubt it's that tbh. He's just boring and overrated.

29. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Based on what? Guy was an absolute nobody

30. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    he was certainly no luis primera