Pacquiao vs Quartey

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by puerto rock, May 12, 2017.

1. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Primes at 147.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Ike kicks his ass.

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Pacquiao is so underrated it's not funny. Pacquiao beats quartey, sorry. Too much speed, stamina, southpawedness, volume punching etc. Only a master counterpuncher or someone much taller could have nullified Pacquiao's style

4. puerto rock

I see Quartey dominating Manny, honestly. Too big, too strong, too good a jabber, and his right hand would be the perfect kryponite to Manny's aggression. Manny would look tiny in there and even though he may last the 12 round distance, I don't see him being strong enough to push Quartey back.

5. Xplosive

Many welters in history would beat Manny. Sly wants to convince us only Floyd could do it. Mid 90s Quartey could very well stop Manny's tiny ass.

6. Destruction and Mayhem

Manny is prejudiced by the era he's fighting in. In any other era he'd be considered on Duran level. Yes, I said it. Pacquiao is a phenomenon. This is not a Floyd agenda, I'm equally Pacquiao fan as I am Mayweather fan (unusual I know....it's like someone being both a DC and Marvel fan). Pacquiao, once he perfected his game by ceasing to be just a one trick pony, had such an unpredictable attack, with such fast hands and so much volume that he just become a nightmare. I don't think Quartey was good enough to solve that puzzle.

I'd pick guys like Leonard and Hearns to do it (Hearns far easier than Leonard) but many other guys would be overwhelmed by the activity and speed.

7. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    This

8. Xplosive

Ugo and Sly... the two most infamous Duran haters of all time.

Listen, Manny is rightfully considered an all time great... but Duran was a better fighter. Duran was more skilled, with a longer reign of dominance and he beat better fighters.

You two are the opposite of guys who are nostalgic. You're both known for recency bias.

This isn't a chump that we're picking over Manny in this thread. Quartey was a very good welterweight and figures to have been too big/stronger for Pac.

It's not we're saying Quartey was better or greater. But he was a better WELTERWEIGHT.

9. Xplosive

Hearns beats Manny far easier than Leonard? LOL. You can pretend that Leonard would struggle with Pac if it makes you feel better. In reality, Leonard would have knocked out Pac within 6-7 rounds. Too big, too many offensive weapons, and the speed advantage Manny usually has goes out the window with Leonard.

But unlike Quartey, it's not JUST a case of Leonard being too big. Leonard was a better fighter than Pac, P4P or otherwise.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

So manny doesn't fair any better than Dave boy Greene or Floyd senior?

Come on X, u better dan dis!

11. Xplosive

That doesn't equate to Manny being a similar level to Dave Boy Green, but no, I don't think he lasts much longer.

I don't think his chin was good enough to handle very much of Leonard's arsenal. And when Manny gets hurt, he's not the hold type... he fights back when he's hurt... which would expedite the stoppage.

12. puerto rock

Manny wouldn't last long with Leonard. Ray was too big, too fast (Yes, faster than Manny), too strong, too smart, and too powerful. There's no way he doesn't spot the openings with counters as Manny comes at him, and Manny would oblige. Leonard KO 5

Hearns vs Pac is a mismatch of equally epic proportions. Probably worse. Unless Manny holds and cowers away from confrontation (Again, Manny doesn't do that), he's getting KO'd early and often.

Quartey may not be on the same level as Leonard and Hearns, but he still has more than enough tools to handle Pac. Ike is a legit 5'8. 72 inch reach, with a ramrod jab, a solid right cross, and the strength to back Manny up all night, who is not effective going backwards. Quartey is not Clottey. He would pile up rounds and any late rally that Pac may make wouldn't be enough.

13. Destruction and Mayhem

Pac is seriously under appreciated.

14. puerto rock

I honestly think the opposite. He's become OVERRATED from where I stand. His opposition at 147 is very suspect.

An all time great at the lower weights, though.

15. Xplosive

He's extremely overrated at 147.

16. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Pacquiao is a lot more fluid than Quartey but with VADA testing at welterweight against the guy who won the title from espana and was still an active fighter you have to favor Quartey here.

17. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

I was going to post but you said exactly what I was going to say.

MTF

puerto rock likes this.