The UK politics and current affairs thread

Discussion in 'Political Disputation' started by Hut*Hut, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

"People you never heard of, resigning from positions you didn't know they held.........why have they done this........172 self inflated........with a sense of entitlement that knows no bounds......decided that they could overthrow a guy who just 9 months ago got 250,000 votes from labour party members. So......what's it all about Alfie......what's it all about........virtually none of whom you could name......there is no labour shadow cabinet in its entire history of 100 years, none, in which any of these people could have found a place. The Labour Shadow Cabinet of 1973........Harold Wilson, James Callaghan, Tony Benn, Michael Foot, I could go on, everyone of them a potential Prime Minister. Look at the political pygmies that are resigning now.......it is farcial. So what's gonna happen when Jeremy Corbyn secures a landslide in the labour leader election, are they going to ask for their petty-fogging jobs back as the parliamentary private-secretary to the under-secretary for paper-clips...are they going to ask for the jobs back"

2. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yes, he should be. Even a borderline Right-Winger like me looks at things like the Railways, Water, Housing etc and knows, and agrees, that they should be the exclusive domain of public ownership and public ownership alone.

If private parties want to rip each other a new one over the cost of sending a photo from one phone the other, then let them have at it.

But a decent roof, clean water in your taps, and the ability to travel from one shit job to the next with a modicum of civility and comfort........no, these are not for private parties.

The sheer irony of it all is that privatization has been proven to fail in these regards.

We've had 30 years of private rail. It hasn't worked. There are fewer carriages. Fewer trains. More standing. Higher prices.

Right to Buy has failed...........it's made millionaires of a tiny minority and saddled a burgeoning underclass with eternal service-charges and major-works contracts that they can barely understand, never mind pay, and made millionaires of fat-cat friends of the Aldermen, people like "Management Companies" who charge £100 for a new letterbox or £100,000 for unnecessary brickwork repointing, all payable by the leaseholders and the tenants who "Benefit" from this.

It's a disgrace.

meetthefeebles likes this.
  3. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

What appalls me (genuinely appalls me) is that it is OBVIOUS that the EVERY SINGLE ONE of the privatisation of these things has failed. The railways I agree with you on every point. There isn't even a 'choice' of provider - if you want a train from Newcastle to London you get on a Virgin Train or you don't get on a train. They are private monopolies in seperate sectors of the country.

Look at the utilities 'market': an absolute cartel of foreign interests working together to hike prices ever upwards for something no-one can do without. The so-called choice the Tories crow about is no choice at all: either you get ripped-off or you live without Electricity and Gas. Thousands of pensioners are dying every year because they are too skint to turn the electric-bar fire on. For people to be too poor to heat their homes in England in 2017 is an absolute disgrace.

It rains non-stop in this country from January to January, every single year, and yet by March in every single year the water board is on the telly, talking about water shortages and bans. It is not enough that these people are charging an extortionate price for something which falls naturally out of the fucking sky; they cannot even properly administer the gazillions of free 'product' they flog. We live in an island, surrounded on all sides by H2O, yet there are constant 'shortages' of water. It is an absolute disgrace.

There are millions of people who cannot afford an actual house to live in. Not one to buy - that is a pipe dream for almost anyone under the age of 30 now - but a decent house to rent. Councils have no stock of social housing and are forbidden by legisation to build any. Even if they could, they wouldn't bother, because they are legally obliged to sell them on to whoever rents one for three years or more, at significantly less than market value. The only people gaining are those shrewd and greedy enough to get their hands on a good few council houses and 'flip' them at a massive profit, taking them out of the equation for those who cannot possibly hope to buy one. We've gone from 'homes fit for heroes' to 'homes only for those whose parents can afford to give their kids tens of thousands of pounds to pay for a deposit' and dilapidated boxes (or actual cardboard boxes) for the rest. The only council lets left available are flats and tenements in crime-ridden highrise blocks in shithole estates no-one sensible thinks they can buy and sell anything in. They are modern day slums. Slums in 2017. A disgrace.

Everyone knows this. EVERYONE. Even the 'aspiring middle class', who turn a blind eye to the poverty and the deprivation in the sink estates know that their gas and electricity costs more and more every year, that their broadband connection has trebled in price in five years but still is slower than every other western nation on earth, that water costs a fortune...but still Labour cannot make any headway. What is wrong with people? Why are they more concerned with a budget deficit which means nothing to them and matters not an iota to their lives than the cost of the train ticket their darling daughter pays to get home from the university they have to borrown near £50k plus interest at RPI +3%pa? It beggars belief, it really does.

MTF

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Slice N Dice likes this.
  4. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    agREED on everything............I don't want to give this the big "I-Am" but I live this shit day in day out in London.

I like London and England, a lot, it's been very kind to me, I make OK money week in week out but by that same token I know I have to run a gauntlet every day on just about every front.

Housing, transport, the necessaries.........the basics.

Today, it was raining. All day, so I left the bicycle in work and tried to get home, I turn into a different animal just using public transport........it is literally running a gauntlet.

I've got it to an art where I know exactly where to stand on the platform to "jump" the minute the train pulls in.

They've got guys prowling the platforms so people can actually get off without being crushed by people trying to get on.

The English have never been very good at Revolution, I can't think of a set of circumstances that are better suited to a revolution, but nobody seems interested.

It's an odd feeling. It's as if provided you get home by 6pm, get a decent bite and a wash, all is forgiven and you can go and do it again the next day.

Slice N Dice likes this.
  5. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Roberto Duran

Both of you guys are spot on. It makes me genuinely angry when I read people posting on Facebook complaining about the costs of these privatised services, then a few hours later they'll call Corbyn's manifesto "a joke", and go on about how they're voting for May because "she seems like she knows what she's doing". It genuinely bends your head.

London costs are FUCKED. Everything is fucking extortionate and it's just getting worse each year. I have resigned myself to the fact I'm just not getting on the property ladder, at least in this city. Even renting as you both said is absolutely absurd now, renters are getting shafted all year round. Just yesterday my sister had her tenancy agreement terminated because she had the nerve to complain about mould in the property. Luckily she can move back to my folks for a bit but what if she didn't have that option? Housing is a necessity, not a commodity, it's fucked up.

6. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Lot of anger out there about housing, it's inhumane, and I rarely say that. It's not fair that a guy who clears £24000 a year after taxes and has £10000 in savings and NO DEBT cannot get a fucking bachelor pad.

I don't doubt others have it far worse, but it's beyond daft.

7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    just up the lane from me, literally, just up Ridding Lane....................£334,000 for a 1 bed, with "Help to Buy".

"Help" is the Govt loaning you 40% and you have to come up with a deposit of 5%, that's 5% of 334,000, which is £16,700

You can buy, own outright, FREEHOLD, a house in Liverpool for £25,000.

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

"Live Dine and Cook" in the same room. :)

9. meetthefeebles

We've just today had a mortgage application approved on a house move. Four bedrooms, three bathrooms, two reception room, double garage, conservatory, front and back gardens: £175K with a 5% deposit required.

I love London. It's a tremendous city and I go four times a year minimum. But I could never live there. The price of living is absolutely obscene.

MTF

10. meetthefeebles

That money would buy you a fucking massive house in an exclusive area up here. Low Fell or Whickham in Gateshead, Jesmond or Gosforth in Newcastle.

MTF

11. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Congratulatons!

I could do that but........work........and buzz..........would be lacking.

12. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
  13. meetthefeebles

That cunt May is being bounced around all over the shop on her proposal to make dead people pay for the cost of their late-life care by taking away all the money they had put aside to give their kids. May has gotten too cocky and tried to use her unassailablelead in the polls to railroad through policies which actually target the most consistent band of Tory voters. Now it's coming back to bite her in the arse and she has shit herself and changed her mind. 'Strong and stable' my fucking hole. The opposition should be all over this like a rash.

MTF

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Her lead has slipped, definitely. They've rolled out Boris and some other cunt to talk about the IRA.

The IRA. You know, that contemporary and immediately-pressing concern.

The same IRA that Tony Blair sold out to, by the way.

My polling card arrived the other day.

I might even take the fucking day off to do it.

15. meetthefeebles

The Tories are desperate to talk about any old irrelevant rubbish, because when the discussion comes around to policies, it turns out they want to tax dead people, remove the annual increases in pensions, tax the self-employed etc: policies which attack the very core of the Tory hearland vote. They want to make this a straight referendum on May over Corbyn, on 'strong and stable' over 'IRA supporting Marxism' etc etc

If the debate actually focused on policies, the Tories would be in absolute shit street. And they know it. Luckily for them, most of their right-wing media friends are keeping most of the really bad shit out of the spotlight - it is only when they come out with an 'uncapped death tax on the infirm' that the press finally take the bastards to task.

MTF

Slice N Dice likes this.