training revamp

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by LOK, Aug 16, 2012.

1. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I am buckling down again.. i have stepped up my cardio like crazy. I'm going to keep track of my training here

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Let's hear it LOK - what routine are you doing, each week?

I've stopped cardio totally cos I dont want it to mess with my weight-training...

3. LOK

so... so far I have not stepped up weights or callisthenics that much but i'm into my 2nd week of 6 days a week cardio

i mainly use my elliptical at home at night after i put the kids down, two nights ago i kept it on a level 6 and ran for 65 minutes, last night i did 45 minutes.

I'm watching my diet and going to continue the 6 days/week cardio and step up my callisthenics as well.

i haven't been to martial arts in over a month. I was on vacation and since coming back have just been busy
    I hope to get back into it next week, on Mondays we spar so i liked to at least go on Mondays

i'm down 11 lbs since i really started stepping it up so looks like im on a good track

4. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    This may come as a surprise, but I don't believe some cardio will impact your weight training and in fact I believe it has some benefit. I used to be very anti-cardio because I had always thought that it would starve my body of precious nutrients that were needed for rebuilding muscle, but over the last 5-6 years, I started walking on an incline treadmill for 20-30 minutes after every workout except leg day obviously and I noticed within a week or two, I was recovering quicker, had less muscle soreness and I had more stamina and less fatigue during really brutal leg and back workouts allowing me to push harder and longer.

While I'm not advocating that you do marathons, I think some cardio every day or at least the days you're in the gym is very beneficial to recovery and won't impact your muscle growth or weight training at all. In fact, I was in the best shape I had ever been 2 years ago doing cardio every day, stronger than I had ever been and the biggest I had ever been with the lowest bodyfat. I'm a full-on advocate of doing cardio with weight training now, just don't overdo it.

My son was born 1 1/2 years ago and I had to give up the gym during that time to spend time with him, I've only recently started back in the gym again, about 8 weeks ago and I've already seen great progress and I'm back on my weight training and cardio routine agian. I do however recommend you do the cardio AFTER your weight training since you don't want to burn up carbs and glycogen levels before weight training when you'll need them.

5. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Agreed. You don't want to drain yourself at all before hitting the weights.

6. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    The added benefit is that you will burn more fat also when doing cardio after your weight training as opposed to before since your body is already low on carbs.

7. LOK

i've been using "my fitness pal" to track my progress... so haven't been putting it here every day.

basically i'm on 6 days a week cardio, 3-4 days a week strength and watching my cals

8. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Not far off of what I do. I train with weights 4 days per week, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I do cardio on three of those days as well.

9. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Here's my current training split:
    1. Shoulders, Biceps, Abs
    2. Off
    3. Chest, Quads, Calves
    4. Triceps, Abs
    5. Hamstrings, Lower Back
    6. Off

Shoulders, particularly the medial and posterior heads, are a weak link for me as are biceps surprisingly. I do them first.

10. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    My current training days are nothing like what I've done in the past. The muscle groups are the same as they've always been, but the days in which I train them is nothing like I've done before and this has been mostly dictated by my work schedule and my son. I thought when I had to use these days to train that it would certainly not give me the results I wanted because its very different than my old Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri training days but so far its been very effective.

Tuesday: Back, traps and rear delts
    Thursday: Biceps and triceps
    Saturday: Calves, quads and hams
    Sunday, Chest and side delts

Cardio on Tue, Thurs, and Sun after my workout. I'll throw abs in once or twice per week before doing my cardio, no set day though, just whenever I feel like it.

I don't do any front delt work anymore since they tend to get so strong that it takes away from my chest workouts where they tend to dominate the pressing movements.

The order in which you see them is the the order in which I train them also.

11. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Completely changed-up my routine. hardly any isolation excersises and am concentrating on compound movements.
    The following, four times a week:
    Upper Body:
    Bench-press (flat/incline): 4 sets x 8 reps
    Close-grip pulldowns or chin-ups: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts: 4 sets x 8 reps
    Dips: 4 sets x 10 reps
    Seated dumbbell-press: 4 x 8 reps
    Trap 3 raises: 3 sets x 12 (great excersise for strengthening delts)
    EZ barbell curls: 3 sets x 21 reps (split into 3 sets of lower, upper and full curls - massive pump/burn)
    Hanging leg raises - 4 sets x 25 reps
    Plank - 4 sets x 45 seconds

Lower-Body:
    Squats: 4 sets x 8 reps
    Quadricep extensions: 4 sets x 8 reps
    Hamstring curls: 4 sets x 8 reps
    Quadricep press: 4 sets x 8 reps
    Calf-raises: 3 sets x 25 reps

Each session I get done in anywhere between 45-60s mins...no more than 45 seconds between sets and 90 seconds between excersises....I feel like my entire body is done 2 days after each.

Going to stick with this for the next 2-3 weeks then a complete change-up again, concentrating more on isolation work.

12. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Do you do all of that in one day or is it somehow split up?

13. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

One of either upper or lower per day, which takes no more than 1 hour at a steady pace.
    Day 1: Upper body
    Day 2: Cardio (15km cycle ride taking anywhere between 38-42 minutes)
    Day 3: Lower-body
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Upper body
    Day 6: Cardio (usually 6.5km taking 33-35 mins run or 4.5km interval-running over 20-25 mins)
    Day 7: Lower body
    (this routine is really improving my overall strength and I'm finding is very good to motivate myself - the only sticking point right now is wide-grip pullups and chins....damn they are SO hard for me to do)

Anyway, I'll do this for another 3-4 weeks by which time its my vacation and I'll focus totally on cardio when I'm away that week.

When I return, I'll revert back to more isolation-weights and hit just 2-muscle-groups per training day: Chest/Back - Biceps/Triceps - Legs / Shoulders...and then mix all that up again after 3 weeks.

14. LOK

Last night I missed out... I started with some vodk and then felt like not running.

Tonight it's 6:40 pm here and I've only had several shots... I think I'll still do 10 miles later

Debating watching Ateam movie or just tv

15. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Well, I was doing reps with 225lbs in the standing push press today. I did 6, but it felt like I could have done 10. I wouldn't be surprised if I press 315 over my head this autumn. When I work up to doing it regularly, I will make a tiny vid, LOK.

16. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I squatted 365 for 5 reps yesterday after having squatted 350 for 6 reps. The main thing I've realized is that I could have been squatting a lot more, but there's that little bit of trepidation involved in trying to go for the really heavy weight. You might fail, you might not get the result you want, or you might find you just aren't motivated enough anymore to go after the really big poundages. Those aren't the only possible sticking points on the road to success, but they are the big ones facing my particular outlook.

I can see myself hitting some big numbers within the next two months. I've got the bit between my teeth now, and I'm focused like I haven't been in some time. The byproducts are muscle, greater strength, better circulation, more sleep, and more attention to details like training and food intake regularity.

17. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Buddy I do hope you're going down until the hamstrings are parallell to the floor or even further down, otherwise, that's not a true squat. I see too many people in the gym squatting 315-495 for what they think its a squat and only bending their legs far enough to call them 1/4 or 1/2 squats, and they usually have toothpicks for legs to show for it. The squat is one of the few exercises that I absolutely believe you're wasting your time if you aren't going ass to the ground or close to it.

If you are, then kudos because that's quite an accomplishment.

18. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

So, LOK...how many shots did you top-out on?
    How many miles did you do?
    Did you watch A-Team or just TV in the end?

:popcorn:

19. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Oh I know what you're talking about, Orion. I've been guilty of that in the past myself---particularly when I was in my early 20s and trying to impress myself. The tops of my thighs now go down to parallel or slightly below. It looks like I'm about to sit on the ground. Those last few inches have always been my sticking point. I've been focused on getting down there (Not too difficult as I am short. LOL).

The only issue is I probably bend too far forwards. I can do half-squats and quarter squats with easily a hundred pounds more weight, but that's not really going to be anything other than an ego boost. My quads AND HAMS are thickening up like I've never seen before from squats although the deadlifts also help the hams. I jump right away from squats to 45 degree angled leg presses and finish off my quads there. I also make sure I go all the way down with that exercise as I saw a guy doing half-reps with 495 on the leg press yesterday---and the gym's personal trainer was coaching him and not making him get full reps out of it!!!

Tomorrow is deadlift day. Today I worked chest, and had a decent day. My right clavicle was a bit sore (Old injury), but I still benched 235lbs for 8 reps and 240lbs for 4. I usually do 6 reps per set nowadays as I'm trying to build strength, so I know if I had just done 6 reps with 235, I probably would have gotten 240 for 6 reps as well.

Everything's looking good. I'm frying my muscles because I know I won't be hitting the weights over the long weekend. I'll be cutting up all the timber for this winter's firewood.

I swear I should change my name to Grizzly Adams except he never used a chainsaw. LOL.

20. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Christ, I must have really caused a muscle or tendon to swell up near my right elbow. I have a weird little pain in my forearm flexor that's causing a throbbing ache all the way down my right forearm to my baby finger. Also the inner tricep head---where it attaches to the elbow, is sore and throbbing. I guess I really am pushing hard in my workouts.

21. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    LOK is this you?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xoCKHx8Yyj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

22. LOK

lol

no

23. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Well 365 for 5 again, and 385 for 3. I didn't get down quite as low as I should, but that'll come as I get more and more comfortable with the weight. I can now do a one-legged squat down to almost parallel. The legs are thickening up, which is good because I don't want them dominated by my upper body.

24. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    It must have been a tendon expanding or something. I didn't get this today. What I did get was 240lbs for 6 reps and 245lbs for 4 reps in the bench press. It looks like I will be doing some partial reps tonight with massive weight for reps. The partial reps seem to have gotten me over a sticking point, and I'm looking forward to each workout now. It sounds crazy, but I feel like a kid again, going after massive weights (at least, they seem massive to me), nailing them, and then finishing off later on at night in the power rack with heavy partials. This is what weight-training should feel like.

25. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Goddamn, I pushpressed 245lbs for 5 reps and then jerked 275lbs. I didn't lock it out, but that's mainly because it was my fifth set and I was a bit worn down. It was unplanned to even try the 275lbs, but I just decided to go for it. I could have pushpressed 250lbs for 5 reps and I'm gonna go for it next week. My overhead pressing strength is at its best all-time right now, and I'm experiencing similar success in all my other lifts. Not too shabby for a guy who, according to MWS, looks like a slightly tipsy Polish farmer. LOL.

26. LOK

i have always done lots of exercise..now i'm really watching my calories as well.. and i'm flippin hungry! LOL
    what i sometimes do is drink lots of water to help..

27. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I'm on a heck of a streak. Today I push pressed 250lbs for 4.5 reps over my head (I say 4.5 because I gassed on the last one). I've never done that weight for that many reps before, so it's cool because it means there are more mountains to climb. I'm having a good time of it. I recently started taking GNC's Amplified Creatine and GNC's Re-Power. Both are making sure I go to the gym pumped and ready to go. This is a pretty long streak of improvement for me, but I think it's because I am not focussing on any one area but going for overall body strength. I plan on gaining as much strength as I can before the eventual slide, and that thought is keeping me going day by day and week to week.

28. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    And today I bench pressed 250lbs for 9 reps. I built up to that with 4 warmup sets and finished off with a drop set of 8 reps with 225lbs. Damn I was pumped after that. Then I did some inclines: 135, 185, and 205 for reps and that was that. My chest workout was done because I had nothing left.

I think I pulled my groin yesterday, squatting 405 for reps. Looks like I'll need to take it easy for a week or two and gradually build back up to it. I don't need a permanent injury. I am starting to increase my reps and I'm not focusing so much on going up in weight with each workout---with the possible exception of pushpresses because I've been making great gains there. I wanna make sure my tendons and connective tissue keep pace with my strength because I went up pretty fast for awhile there. I'm done my strength cycle for the most part and want to increase reps for mass and cuts, so we'll see how it goes.

29. LOK

Orion, years back when I worked in the gym we would have guys put 4 plates on each side and just squat an inch or two down..lol

30. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I spoke too soon. My vagina is fine, and I was lifting the usual weights like it was nothing today. I'm still increasing my reps, but I'm ok for doing regular legwork.