Vernon Forrest vs. Floyd Mayweather @ 147

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Erratic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    How does this go?

2. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Vernon is not doing to Floyd what he did to Shane. Let's get that straight first. Floyd is a boxer whereas Shane wasn't.

Vernon is a tricky fight for Floyd given his height reach and jab...and textbook boxing craft. Floyd though is faster and smarter. I think it's a close fight and Floyd wins a very close split decision

3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I actually agree with the first sentence. Floyd matches up better with Forrest than Shane did.

I don't think as highly of Forrest as some on this forum, so I wouldn't put it past Floyd winning. But Forrest would be by far the best welter he faced, and his jab and length would be very problematic for Floyd.

4. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Would be close, but I think forrest edge him

5. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    One of those floyd fights that's very close after 8 or 9 but that he wins pretty clear in the end as he finds the solution in the middle rounds then sweeps the last few. Floyd 116-113

6. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I'd take Floyd in a very close nap and tuck affair. Floyd would have a lot of problems with the height and reach, and jab of Forrest.

But I think Floyd would eek it out with his superior speed. Vernon also doesn't have a 2nd gear. He likes to fight in his envelope, and stay there. I think Floyd could take advantage of that. But it's not a prediction I make with a lot of confidence. Forrest would easily be the best 147 pounder Floyd has fought and Floyd never even entertained fighting guys who were big welterweights back then. Would be curious to see how Floyd handles himself against a guy who has the ability of Forrest.

7. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Forrest would have a real chance of winning via stink

8. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Forrest

9. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    :D:D

10. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I've always believed this is a fight Forrest would win. Sly's comparison to how Mosley typically fights in comparison to Floyd is correct...

"HOWEVER"

Forrest would have a significant height and reach advantage which is obvious. The difference being, Floyd is such a negative/defensive fighter I can't fathom him trying to get close to Forrest to land anything of merit. Vernon fought with his height and reach. Because of styles, I don't forsee Floyd fighting any different than how Mosley fought after he got caught.

Most of Floyd's ability is based upon countering then getting you to go defensive...his opportunities to counter Vernon would be very limited even when Vernon missed.

So while stylistically Mayweather and Mosley are different fighters, their tactics against Forrest wouldn't differ. Mosley got the fight beaten out of him, Floyd wouldn't enter the ring attempting to fight.

It would have been awful to watch.