The 100-Day Challenge

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Buddy Rydell, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    I'm meeting up with some old friends in about 31 days. I'm gonna chart my weight-loss over the next month, day by day. Today the scale said 205.4, so we'll see where I'm at in 31 days.

All insults, scorn, and jokes should follow this post in 3...2...1!:Lok:

2. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I'm going to pull out all the stops, and be back in the 180s by this time in September. No beer, no takeout food, no stone left unturned. If I start to feel pressure, I'll dig down and start pushing harder.

Today's tip: 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of getting up. Let's work this shit!

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Nice. Similar to my situation.

Trust me it's hard. Obviously diet is most important but the real trick is doing consistent cardio.

That's where I've been lacking. I just can't find the time (or motivation) to put in 30 mins cardio a day.

If I did that I would have reached goal already because everything else has been stellar.

4. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I run as soon as I get home. Natasha goes and picks up the little lad and lets me be on my way. It's looking kind of murky out at the moment however. I might be doing it on the treadmill tonight as opposite to the country road.

5. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Buddy I have made huge progress doing cardio 6 days a week

i put the kids to bed between 7:30-8 and i'm on the eliptical by 8:30 at the latest and do it until 9:30 it had become routine.

this is in addition to normal working out

6. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Well, I'm gonna try 31 straight days of running. If my legs hold out, I'll make it 2 months of running. I would be in wicked shape at the end of that. Yesterday I thought about doing 8km, but I then thought I should just focus my efforts on making sure I go everyday. I did another 5km and I'm gonna do it tonight even if I have to wear a rain jacket.

I weighed myself yesterday on the scale after running, and it said 201.8. I know that we tend to lose or gain water through exertion, but if I keep this up for 31 days, I'm going to run 10km on the last day to see how low I get before my camping/fishing trip.

Tip of the day:
    Stay off the white carbs: bread, pasta, bleached rice. Apparently chlorine dioxide, one of the chemicals used to bleach flour (even if later made brown again, a common trick), combines with residual protein in most of these foods to form alloxan. Researchers use alloxan in lab rats to induce diabetes. That’s right—it’s used to produce diabetes. This is bad news if you eat anything white or “enriched.”

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  7. Destruction and Mayhem

Good tip.

8. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    One thing that I found out is that red wine, on its own, will do nothing in terms of weight gain if you have just one or two standard 4oz glasses per day. That's good news because I know it is also very good for antioxidants. So even though I haven't had red wine for quite some time, tonight I have a glass or two! :)

9. Destruction and Mayhem

antioxidants?

blueberry, Acai, pomegranite

Whenever I'm not drinking water (which is never at the moment) those are my juices of choice (pure Cranberry also).

10. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Well, getting ready for my daily 5km run. I did 5km on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and now I'm doing 5km today. I want to see if I can run all 31 days. If need be, I'll use my treadmill, but I'd prefer to run outside. On Saturdays and Sundays, I'll probably run a bit more as Saturday is my cheat day.

I'll note my weight when I get back from the run. My guess is it is around the same as yesterday, but I might get a bit lower.

11. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    And sly, fruit can really interrupt fat-loss.

12. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Well, it was the same weight today. I shouldn't be weighing myself after running though. I should weigh myself first thing in the morning. I'm actually 203.8 without sweating the weight off.

The important thing is to keep the progress going. By progress, I mean sticking to the plan and not getting discouraged. In time, it'll come off, but I just gotta be patient.

13. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    its good to have motivation and all but it seems odd to me to get in shape for some situation whether it be yours, rydell, or the snooty trini-canuck wanting to look right in vacation pictures. seems like you should want to maintain yourself day in-day out, rather than merely cutting some weight to fool strangers or old acquaintances into thinking you are something other than what you really are.

14. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    There's the thing though, Neil. This will be something I stay within 5lbs of. I have too much bodyweight and I want more endurance to play with my kids. The office life has made me soft, so I need to get back to basics.

I will be maintaining the day-in, day-out. I'm planning to get to 170-175 and always stay within 5lbs of my optimum weight, which is around 170. As soon as I get to 175, I'll be going back down to 170. I've always been big, but not as lean as I should be. That's gonna change.

Plus, these friends of mine know what I normally weigh. They're longtime friends.

15. Destruction and Mayhem

:giggle:

The ideal situation is to maintain yourself constantly, but that's not easy to do for everyone. I, for one, always add 10-15lbs over the winter. When it's cold outside a man just wants to eat tons of carbs, dessert, drink Hot Chocolate etc.

But don't criticize the motivation, whatever it is, to lose weight and get in shape. Not many people have that discipline. It's very hard to do.

16. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Occasionally I get an urge to do more than 5km, but I know I haven't done this everyday thing on running since I was a young teen, so I stick to the 5km and no more. I will be doing it for October and November as well. In fact, throughout the winter months, I'll be doing it outdoors with my treadmill in my garage if I'm able.

17. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    And when it comes time to run in the half-marathon or full-marathon a month and a bit after my birthday in March, I'll be good to go.

18. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Well, today I switched it up and did 8km. Then I weighed myself: 199.8lbs. This weight is coming off bigtime! I feel like running another 8km. <label for="rb_iconid_10">[​IMG]</label>

19. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 6: another 8km, and another pound lost. Buddy is 198.9 today. :)

20. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I'm off for my next run.

Tip of the Day
    After 6 days or so of strictly controlled healthy eating, your body's insulin level is going to be low. Your body tries to conserve what it has, so a cheat day of eating whatever you want may give you some temporary weight bloat, but that'll come off in 24-48 hours and you'll wind up losing more weight than before because your insulin levels are spiked and higher than they were prior to the cheat day.

I may change it from 5km to 8km as that seems to keep the weight-loss consistent.

21. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 7: Another day, another 8k. Just got back and the good news continues.

Lads, it's safe to say that calories in do not necessarily equal calories out. Your metabolism determines how much is stored and how much is burned. I had beer, 5 danishes, Rev, and peach cider yesterday. I weighed myself just now and I am 197.2. The 8km runs are here to stay for the time being. They're not fast runs by any means---more of a regular paced jog, but the weight is just pouring off now.

It's all about stimulating your metabolism and not letting your insulin level fall low from strict dieting. Give yourself a break once in awhile.

22. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

lol

I read things like this on this forum and it just makes me shake my head. I can't believe people still believe that kind of thing

23. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I'm not sure what you're talking about here. What do you mean?

24. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I think I see what you mean. Insulin causes you to store fat---so I got it mixed up, I'm doing the opposite, causing it to dip on a cheat day, not rise. I'm doing the opposite, but the idea still holds true. Having a cheat day helps to mobilize fat stores. I guess we'll see if I'm right this week.

25. Destruction and Mayhem

It's true.

One cheat day (usually on a weekend)...and the following week has the weight dropping rapidily. Works for me everytime.

My one cheat day was yesterday where I indulged in Pizza and Ice cream. I still did some cardio after but watch how the weight will fly off this week.

26. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Yeah, even on my cheat days, I'm running first thing in the morning. I had lots of pizza and danishes. Then I lost a pound and a half. LOL.

So we'll see how it goes this week as to whether or not my insulin has been lowered, allowing great fat mobilization.

27. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Tip of the Day
    30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking will help stimulate your metabolism for the day. Author Tim Ferriss swears to the efficacy of this premise in his book The Four-Hour Body. Timed protein will enhance your body's ability to mobilize fat stores.

And don't forget to drink a LOT of water.

28. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I'm retaining a bit of water because I turned my cheat day into basically 2 cheat days. I'm 200.2 due to water retention. Now the weight is coming to shoot off, and I know not to stall my progression by having 2 off days.

Thank goodness I jogged 11km and turned up the pace for the second half. That oughta get me back down to where I was. In the meantime, it's woodcutting time. :clapagain:

29. Destruction and Mayhem

eliminate water retention by drinking a hell of alot of water. The body then rejects the overdose of water...

You'd be urinating all day long but at the end of he day you'll see a noticeable difference.

30. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I must have drunk 4 litres yesterday.