The 100-Day Challenge

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Buddy Rydell, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

I went to Trinidad weighing 185 lbs.

sad sad sad. I didn't look particularly cut in my pics although my chest and arms size is legendary. I'm going to keep up the routine because I want to look RIPPED for a possible Vegas trip later in the year!

Destruction and Mayhem is still motivated!!

2. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Day 27: Hanging around 193-195, I still have work to do, but it's Day 27. I had to cancel my trip with the lads, but I haven't been in this kind of shape in almost 10 years cardiowise. I can jog 5-8km at the drop of a hat and still have the strength to do my circuits. climb rope with just my arms, and chop lots of wood.:lol:

I just have to lower my expectations of how much weight I'll lose per month now. I made it down to 191 at one point, but it probably helped make me sick. 25lbs in a month was just too much for me.

Below 200lbs to stay, my goal is around 175, but healthy and hale.

3. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 28 which was yesterday. I did 5km and weighed 195.

Day 29 is today.

4. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I'll be doing another 5-8km today, depending on how I feel.

5. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Well, I wasn't able to do 5km yesterday and that made me mad. However I was able to climb rope using just my arms. MAN, does that make the tendons in your bis and tris sting.

So I'm doing an extra-long jog today. :Lok:

I changed the title to 100-Day Challenge today. I want to see where I'll be in 3 months. I'm not going to fixate on weight as much since I've lost over 20lbs and there's only so much you can lose before you get sick. What I AM going to do is have my bodyfat percentage measured at the end of the 100 days using a bioelectrical impedance analysis scale.

So this is kind of my blog for keeping track. Today is Day 30, and I'll weigh myself when I get back from my jog, in keeping with what I have done up until now.

Peace.

6. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 30: Weigh 196lbs and I feel pretty good. I did a 12km run and didn't push the pace at any one point. My left hip flexor near my waist is sore, but my knee and ankle---both of which I was worried about---were fine and the running actually got the kinks and soreness out of them.

In 70 days, I'll take the plunge and do the Bioelectric impedance bodyfat testing, and I'll post my shame or triumph on the forum for all to marvel at and laugh. Long distance running is here to stay as it helps me whittle away at the weight while not injuring me. Good thing I did it in high school.

Well, I'll tape Irish's photo to my heavybag today in preparation for the bout he challenges me to when I tease him about his pink Vespa. :lol:

7. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 38: I'm 194. I didn't do much at all to lose weight. I lost weight over the weekend by eating bbq and going fishing. Weird. I guess my metabolism is staying up there. I actually had to take 5 days off because I hurt my hip flexor a bit.

8. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    However, during Day 38 today, I climbed rope using just my arms (hands actually). Tomorrow might be a good day to jog.

9. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 40: 194.6lbs. Good thing I am maintaining for now or I'd be concerned. Regardless, I am still over 20lbs lighter than I was when I started. I don't run as often and I make sure to eat more. With this much muscle on me, it'll take awhile to go lower, I imagine. I have to jog less as I irritated my hip flexor a little while back and I want to make sure it doesn't become a recurring injury. Still, I jogged 5km today and feel pretty good.

10. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 42: Just got back from jogging 5km. 195.4lbs is holding. My guess is that I have managed to just about maintain my 20lbs of weight-loss and now I'll have to take away a little bit at a time. I did, however, eat half a pizza and drink beer last night as part of my cheat day. Maybe I'll be 193.4lbs this coming Friday.

I also made sure to do at least 4 rounds of punching while jogging forwards and backwards. It really helps with the definition in the arms and in developing that snap to your punches. I feel pretty good.

11. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Weird. Weighed myself again: 194lbs. I guess I sweated out a bit more. There's got be other factors including the tensile strength of the springs in the scale, body momentum on the scales, etc. There's no way I just lost 1.4lbs in an hour.

12. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Good work Buddy!
    I'm down to 190 but broke my finger training! Kinda sucks

13. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Sorry to hear it, LOK. I'm in ok shape physically, but my bicep tendons are sore from climbing rope last week and then doing chinups the next day. I've got to do one or the other.

I really like the rope-climbing though as it just strengthens the whole upper body. I was doing 6 climbs of about 20ft total each time straight up. It makes my arms like tree trunks.

14. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 44: 194lbs. I'm happy about this as I am maintaining my weight-loss of last month, and with a bit of good luck and proper nutrition, I'll lose another 15 or so in the coming months and get down to about 180, which I'd like to maintain. I jogged 5km, and shadowboxed for 5 rounds, throwing an average of 150 punches per round.

15. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 52: 195.2 lbs. I slacked off the last little while, but I felt that if I just kept doing the same thing, I wouldn't get anywhere. I was right. I have, however, stayed at 194-195 this whole time, so it looks like I'll be here for awhile. Still climbing rope and feeling pretty good. I have more energy and just plain feel better. If I push it, I could be 190lbs in a month.

I just might. We'll see where I am on Day 100.

16. LOK

Good work Buddy!

I'm continually suprised at what age does

I sparred 12 rounds on Monday and I'm STILL sore!!

17. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I hear you, dude. When I was 20, it took 2 days for my arms to recover after climbing up and down the rope 15-20 times using just my arms. I'm 39 now, and I'd kill to have that kind of recuperation. Nowadays, it takes at least 4 days, and that's only climbing up and down 10 times.

Of course, I'm 30lbs heavier, but just to be able to climb up and down that rope with my arms is a great feeling. I guess I just appreciate what I still have. <label for="rb_iconid_11">[​IMG]</label>

18. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 53: 195.0lbs. I just finished 8km jogging at a decent clip.

Yesterday, while jogging, I held 1 lb weights in my hands and threw one punch with each step I jogged for 180 steps. Then I jogged 60 steps with no punching to simulate the time off between rounds (likely less than 60 seconds). I did 5 "rounds" of three minutes apiece or thereabouts (I'm not exactly sure how much time each round took as it's impossible to do that and keep an eye on my watch, but I was really snapping my punches and pulling them back quick).

I found it a bit difficult and my lungs and shoulders burned, but it's a change of pace from simply jogging. Today I just jogged 8km and snapped off a few punches here and there with no handweights.

It's getting some speed and snap back in the old 1-2. Almost like Kung Fu straight-blasting, but it breaks up the monotony. Between the punching and the ropeclimbing I did yesterday, my arms are feeling it today.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  19. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Sparring as in grappling, LOK? How long were the rounds? I know you started training again, but I wasn't sure if you were doing any boxing.

20. LOK

this was stand up
    full contact, kicks, and hands... only 2 minute rounds but very short rest, only enough to get another partner.. it was great!

i've been doing jujitsu as well as some stand up...

21. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Full contact? Man...I'm kinda jealous. If the rounds are only 2 minutes, you must have to move pretty fast. That could make a person gas pretty quickly.

22. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 55: The good news, I just finished jogging 15km---the farthest I've jogged since my knee injury 7 years ago. The bad news is that it took me just under two hours. I really sucked after the 10km point and didn't want to injure myself as I felt some weirdness in my hip and lower back.

I've gotten my wife to start running with me, which means I'll be doing another 3km tonight when it's time to jog with her. I could probably go farther right now, but what I ran was what I chose. So I will have done 18km today when all is said and done. I guess I'll weigh myself tomorrow, but today is cheat day, so it won't be too good. <label for="rb_iconid_11">[​IMG]</label>

23. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 57 and Day 58:
    Yesterday on Day 57, I jogged 5km, and did 6 rounds of shadowboxing, throwing an average of 180 punches per round.

Day 58:
    Thus far, 2 circuits of my usual stuff combined with 10 minutes on the elliptical. I have gone back to eating some carbs because I experienced some adrenal gland fatigue. I've also regained weight, as expected. We'll see where I'm at after my run tonight!

24. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

I got as far as 7km, 4x a week then the shin-splints start to kick-in.
    I dropped 25lb in 3 months - got down to 185lb, but cos I'm 6'3", people were saying I looked 'gaunt'.
    So, back to lifting weights for me...

Have you tried Interval-Running/HIIT?
    The weight/fat melts away when you get into a routine doing that for a month...

25. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    No shin splints for me, but I hit a bit of a wall in terms of progress. Today is Day 67. I'm gonna amp it up for the final month and a bit. I've been hitting the weights and climbing rope more, and I have a lot of firewood to saw and chop up.

I'll give the day's results after I finish with my run.

26. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 73: 197.2lbs. I'm hanging roughly steady in terms of the weightloss, but I've been hitting the weights with regularity and the arms are about the same size they were before I dropped the lbs.

So it's looking more and more like 190-195 may be my optimum weight range. We'll see come the summertime, but there's still 27 days to go in this experiment.

27. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 100: I got back into lifting heavy weights, but I'm still 201 with the added muscle. I know I could lose 10lbs or so easily, so I'm gonna do another one of these for December and see what I weigh on New Year's Eve. It'll stop me from gorging on holiday sweets and drinks too much. My guess is I'll be 190-195lbs. That sets the stage for a gradual lean down for my birthday in March. I'm getting too frigging old, guys! :lol: