So how to improve my bench press result?

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Ugotabe Kidding, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    This is getting silly. I have gone to the gym 2 - 3 times a week for last couple of years and all my other results increase pretty nicely, but bench press hasn't developed in like year and a half. I can still only press about 210 lbs. Meanwhile, I have added tens of lbs the bench press where the bench is 45 degrees (I don't know the term in English), I can do pull-ups much better, everything. But the bench, it doesn't change.

So, lets say I want to lift ten pounds more in 3rd of June (which is when my summer vacation begins). How should I train? How many times a week, which exercises, how many repeats, with what kind of weights? All help apart from LOK's will be appreciated.

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Well, I always find that pushups help me a lot. How many of those can you do in 2 minutes? Im up to 60.

At the gym, I used to see guys benching ridiculous weights and Id think 'HTF?'
    The I just resigned myself to the fact that not everyone adapts as fast...I just add 5kg / 12lb to my weight-increases on all bodyparts every 4 weeks.

Hey, Im in my 40s and didnt start weight-training until 2009....if I can make subtle increases...anyone can.

3. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Wtf???

Why can't I suggest anything ?

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Because you'll come out with something like, "I can bench-press 5 Hanzys for 30 reps" :nono:

5. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Texas method is pretty tried and true

Start with

170 for 5x5 on monday (aka 80%)
    125 for 2x5 on wednesday (sub overhead press if you prefer) (aka 60%)
    200 for 3x1 on friday (aka 95%)

add 2.5lb to monday and friday every week. Bring wednesday along a bit slower (make sure it stays super easy, basically). Add some dips on monday & friday if you like and some push ups on wednesday

On 3rd junetest an all out 1rm

6. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Thanks!

Two questions: 1) how about other training during this time, can I work out my chest or arms with other moves or is this program too heavy for that? 2) Is it possible to retain the level I get this way or does this give you a single peak?

7. Bep_Van_Klaveren

Bep_Van_Klaveren Leap-Amateur

Benching is(for a big part) mostly triceps, so, isolate your triceps, build em up, then your bench will come up to.

Best way to build em up: French press, and weighted dips, do these 2 excersises after your done with your benching routine(for example the one Hut*Hut suggested), go heavy on both French Press and Weighted dips, till your so fatiqued you cannot go on. Your triceps have no choice but to grow. And with that, you bench will go up to...

Example on how to perform the French Press:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38GRp-dd8ic

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  8. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Thanks for this tip too! Is it a good idea to train til the end three times a week though?

9. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    1) The general advice would be to lay off other pressing movements, on the whole. Maybe pick one other exercise you enjoy and do it on monday and friday. Dips would probably be the ideal choice but it's not make or break, obviously, so just do what you like. Some push ups now and then won't hurt as long as you don't do hundreds

if you only wanna focus on bench, do as like with the rest of the body except the pressing muscles

2) Texas method gets run for years if you like, with resets when you stall. It isn't a peaking program or anything.

10. LOK

Even though I did this (training) for years for a living..l you bitches think Im not good for advice so I'll keep it to myself!!!!!!

11. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    The observation that bench is mainly about triceps is kinda specific to geared powerlifting, I think. The bench shirt makes the bottom part much easier, so the triceps become the weak link. For most ungeared guys, things like french press, board press, close grip etc might not be the best way to go, unless you've got a sticking point at the top. You might end up overtraining the tricips and not strenghening your chest and shoulders. I definitely agree with the parallel dips recommendation - plenty chest and shoulders work at the same time

12. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Ask LOKs advice! :nono:

13. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

How many reps of 210 can you do? If it's less than a full set - eg, 3 reps - I would try upping the reps on that, which will in the end help your 1rm.

14. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    I never said LOK can't give an advice, just that I don't appreciate it:mj:

15. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Incline.

Anyway 3 times a week making sure to eat a hearty meal at least 2 hours before the training session. Say you do Monday, Wednesday, Friday....the 2 full day break between friday and monday will increase your strength (through the rest) and on Monday's you should find yourself being able to bench a little more. I suggest 15 reps in each set should and that way you can increase you weight and only achieve 5 reps until that increases to 15 and then increase the weight again.

Works for me.

16. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

How much do you weigh?

17. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Too much for these results but less than Joe King

Btw I started the routine HutHut suggested and I have been able to up the weights some, yesterday I did 5x5 with 80 kg (175 lbs) and this Friday I'll try 3x1 with 203 lbs (92,5 kg). So far so good but there is still work to be done.

Also at the same time I started to exercise chin-ups. I have been doing 3x5 sets with 15 kg (33 lbs) extra weight. It has been fun

18. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I'm sure you know, but just to be sure, 3x1 = 3 singles. 1 rep then rest however long you need then another 1 rep, etc.

19. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    yep, that is how I have been doing it.

Tomorrow is the easy day, also I need it, the monday workout was a tough one

20. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Making every 4th or 5th week all easy sessions is a pretty standard recommendation, you might wanna do that if your deadline allows

21. mikE

I haven't heard of the Texas method, but it makes sense that it would work. However, the reason I asked how much you weigh is because following something like that will make more sense if you are already doing a semi-respectable bench press (say 1.25x body weight). Then it makes sense that you could plateau.

On the other hand, I think most people never get to the point where working out every day is detrimental. To increase your max, you should be working out somewhere near your max. Doing pushups won't help shit for your max unless you are very weak to begin with. At 210 lbs, you don't need to worry about the types of injuries that can start happening if you get up over 250 lbs or maybe a little higher. So if you can do 195 lbs twice. I would say you should be doing 195 lbs almost every workout. When you can do it 3x, your max bench will probably be 215-220, when you can do it 4x, probably 220-225. Then it's probably time to switch to 200 or 205 and start over. And anytime you want to check your max, just do it.

Things get different when you start getting over 1.5x bodyweight, but up to that point, I think you can be hitting the 80 to 95% bench presses pretty much every day if you want to. Only when you stop seeing improvement or especially if you start declining do you need to worry about taking days off or changing things up. Most people don't lift hard enough to get there, though.

22. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    So training with maximum weights in every workout should work? Do you think I should only train these 3x1 sets or what? It feels to me that your muscles get a better workout from these bit longer series with 80 %

23. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    The numbers are kinda arbitrary tho. The fact he's stalled suggests he needs the variety now, not when he gets to 250. Some of us will need it at 175, some at 400

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  24. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I think what mikE's referring to is similar to whats usually described in training circles as 'bulgarian style' training. Working to a 'training max' (ie a relaxed, non hyped max) everyday. It can definitely work but its reportedly really fucking hard and you dont really see the benefits of it until you adapt to the volume & frequency which involves going thru a period of heavy overtraining to get to the other side. Its maybe not the best option. for a June deadline

I agree with mikE that when you're a straight up novice we can (and should) train a lift heavier and heavier every time you train for as long as you can. But if you've been stalled out for ages probably you probably cant do that any more without going thru the 'overtraining' wall which would take time/be kinda brutal.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  25. mikE

Agree with all.

I asked his weight to begin with to try to determine if he has hit the wall due to his body adapting to the workout or because he's just at a range where it is really hard to improve. I assumed the former, but maybe it's the latter. Either way, it's probably better to do it the way you suggest if he is on a short timeline.

26. LOK

what i wanna know is why do you have a deadline of June ? lol

27. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Because that's when my summer vacation starts and since I have plenty of time to do whatever I wanna be able to beat people up and pick up all chicks by then and I am sure the ten pounds would make a world of difference to both

28. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
  29. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think 210 for a dorky teacher from finland is impressive - I dunno what u complaining about... :lol:

30. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Yeah 210 is pretty good outside internet land