The old movie thread: ratings and discussion' or some shiz

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by steve_dave (old account), Mar 21, 2007.

1. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Star Wars Episode VII - The Horizon Spectre

9/10

2. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    "Star Wars Episode VIII - Breaking Vader, This Is Not Star Trek, Bitch"

10/10

I know, I know, a little wordy.

3. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I'm checking that one out tonight.

4. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Akira (1988) Classic scifi Anime that was a milestone upon its release in the 80's. Still visually striking and interesting depiction of future Neo Tokyo society post nuclear war, but its plot is muddy at times and rises more questions than the answers it provides. The characters remain two dimensional at best. Still can't deny the importance of this film in influencing many movies and animes after it. 7/10

[​IMG]

5. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Prisoners - With Jake Gyllenhaal & Hugh Jackman. I really wanted to like this one, but it's a big clumsy mess, with the biggest cop-out of an ending, and more logical over-sights in a film of this type then I've ever seen.

If you want to see this story done better, using all the exact same tropes, watch a bunch of episodes of "The Killing". You might not like that either, but it was still 100 times better then this garbled mess.

4/10

6. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    i saw a horror called "13 sins"

its alright

7. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    What's alright? Compare it to something.

8. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Rare Exports - Weird Finnish Dark Comedy / Horror movie about Santa Claus and his elves being excavated from burial mound by stupid Americans.

Was it a Horror? A Comedy? Ultimately an R rated kids movie? I don't know, but it was weird and absurd. It was filmed pretty impressively, for what was probably a pretty low budget film.

Not a whole lot really happens and most of the action is actually alluded to off-screen, but I was fairly entertained.

6/10

[​IMG]

9. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Hate to shit on somebody's reviews but I seriously doubt this was a better movie than Prisoner's which I also recently just saw. Sure it had it's bad moments but a 4/10? I think you got that one and this one's scores mixed up. You can't just bitch about 1 problem in a pretty decent movie and then slap a 4 on it. There has to be more bad than just being cluttered. What about the great directing, acting, and atmosphere?

10. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

I broke down "Prisoners" much more in it's separate thread. No point in re-hashing it here. Bottom line, I really wanted to like it, and it pretty much angered me how disappointed I was in it.

I enjoyed this weirdo Finnish movie much more then I did "Prisoners", that's why the higher rating. Nothing any more complicated then that. Neither is a classic of any sort.

11. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I also think comedies have a different rating scale than dramas. There are not that many good comedies out there. So sometimes people look for a round to give. There is no excuse for a poor drama.

12. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Watched 2 movies over the weekend. Slap Shot, no review needed as it's universally recognized as a classic, and A Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia.

While most 'haunted house' movies tend to be pretty much the same movie with the same cliches over and over again, I liked this one. I liked the 1st one too, but this one was a little better, although the ending was a little over the top. Another movie 'based on a true story', and they even show the real people at the end. Definitely worth watching if you're into the genre. I watched it on Netflix.

[video=youtube;hcoR4S-E8b4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcoR4S-E8b4[/video]

TFK

13. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Slap Shot is fantastic

14. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    what about those that swing both ways, Dramedies???

15. Anthony

Motherfucker
    i consider those dramas.

16. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:

a guy gets a call to play a game where there are 13 tasks
    Task 1: kill a fly for $1000
    Task 2: eat the fly for $2000

the tasks get worse and prizes much bigger....if he fails or quits then he ends up with zero

:bears: interesting

17. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I saw the Asian original movie. It was okay, but nothing spectacular.

18. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    ah i didn't even know there was an Asian original

horrors are never spectacular..you either enjoy the genre or you don't...no horror buff expects to ever see a top movie...there are only a few horrors ever that i'd rate over 6/10...but so long as they're entertaining

19. Anthony

Motherfucker
    it's called 13 games of death

20. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Godzilla 4/10
    Neighbors 6/10 (Although I was WUI (watching under influence) and left the theater at one point to get a pint across the street)
    Xmen days of future past. 8.5/10

21. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    The Leopard - 5/10. A film set during Italian Unification in the mid 19th century where the film's hero is a badly dubbed-into-Italian Burt Lancastar playing a Sicilian Aristocrat who's offensively racist against Sicilians fighting to keep defacto feudalism in place. Aye. I was way too tired to keep up with this. Allot of catholics crossing themselves and Burt Lancaster slowly smoking cigars and walking around rooms slowly and slowly looking at paintings before sighing and explaining how all of Sicilian culture is a reification of the longing for death and that's why all attempts at political reform will fail. It's better than it sounds, but that sounds pretty fucking bad, right?

22. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

LOL I remember watching this movie late at night when I was a boy thinking wrongly that it was a horror movie, so I kept waiting for Burt Lancaster to transform into a leopard and start killing people! I was very disappointed when the movie ended with no horror angle. :lol:
    [​IMG]

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    just watched this based on your recommendation. No bad at all. Not really scary, but still an enjoyable movie. More of a fast paced horror like poltergeist. Not sure why it's called Haunting in Connecticut tho.

24. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Eyes Wide Shut - 8/10. i think in my mind that both the (laughably petty) surface level story about jealousy in a marriage, the (completely unsexy) sexual aspects/marketing and the casting of Cruise and Kidman and everything that went with that were foils for the real theme of the movie - power; the abuse of power that stems from the instrumentalist way those with power come to relate to those beneath them; & how easily we will turn a blind eye to & are distracted from all of it by our own petty desires & titillations. Casting the holywood it-couple, getting them naked & watching that become what the movie was about was like Kubrick's meta-joke on the world.

Also in its favour, I'm also not sure I've ever seen a film where every single scene was quite so lusciously beautiful to look at. All reds and golds, incredibly soft light & perfectly framed shots. The whole thing is like looking at a beautiful photograph that moves for you, for two hours.

On the downside, something about it didn't quite hit its mark for me. The ending felt rushed or like it was trying to get something across that it didn't quite find concise words for. Maybe the editting wasn't quite right. Or, like, something. I don't know. It's almost absolutely great, but....not quite.

25. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Life of Pi - Good movie, nice visuals, Loved the way they portrayed the Tiger. The kid playing PI held his own, and Irrfan Khan was excellent in his scenes as the older Pi.

8/10

26. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hated that movie. It tried so hard to be something that it wasn't even close to being, and it all came off as silly.

TFK

27. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I'm disagREED

28. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Quiz Show - 6/10.

29. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Oblivian - I'm a bit confused by the shitty reviews this movie got. I thought it was a highly competent, slow burn, hard sci-fi movie. The opposite of Cruise's "Edge of Tomorrow", probably closer to something like "Solaris" or "Moon"...but if they had to throw in a few obligatory action scenes just because Tom Cruise is in it.

A few cleverly composed reveals, that I don't think they came by cheaply. Several jumps in logic, but it all kind of made sense in the way the story unfolded.

On the negative side, I would say, the other humans in the movie outside of the core 3 main characters, were woefully under-developed, along with any actual explanation of the enemy force, which seemed more A.I., then an actual flesh & blood invading army...though that may actually be fitting, given the sterility much of the story was set in.

7/10

30. Anthony

Motherfucker
    yup. Been saying this was really good for a while. I have no clue what people are thinking when they bash it. But whatever.