The old movie thread: ratings and discussion' or some shiz

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by steve_dave (old account), Mar 21, 2007.

1. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

[​IMG]

3/10 Thought it would be better than the previous movies because it had Marky Mark......but no this is just as bad as the other. I think females just ruin this movie...they always have to saved...and in this movie the father...daughter plus boyfriend relationship...is exhausting. The last one had a few memorable scenes like the collapsing building...this one is just shit...but just like the others I had a difficult time seating thru it...and will never punish myself by seating thru it again....ever!....hopefully Snowpiercer is better...

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    anyone that watched any of these movies after the first one deserves to have a fucked up night.

3. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    The Aviator - Don't know why it took me 10 years to finally see this. I found it pretty damn fascinating and it's gotta be one of DiCaprio's absolute top performances. Dragged a bit in the 2nd half when Hughes began to really lose his mind, and I wish they went into a little bit more detail on the business side of things, but it was a good flick that got me a lot more curious about the real Howard Hughes.

8/10

4. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    John Wick 7/10. Violent film but pretty good.

5. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

Life After Beth (2014) Horror comedy about a young guy so obsessed with his girlfriend that the fact that she died and came back as a zombie is not an obstacle for him continue dating her. All the main actors are good here, but it is too bad that the direction and screenplay is weak since the premise was more interesting than similar romantic zombie movies like 'Warm Bodies'. Dark humor is hit or miss and here is mostly miss. I liked the fact that Beth (Aubrey Plaza) wasn't an instant George Romero-like zombie and her descend to zombification was gradual as her body slowly decomposed. By the time zombie apocalypse materializes the film turns incredibly gross in comparison to its first two acts. Not very good movie, but keeps you interested in watching til the end how our hero resolves his girlfriend/zombie issue. 5/10

6. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Rushmore - 6/10. I'd just worked a very long day so i was basically zombified but i think i liked it. Weird for weird's sake, yes, but original enough in its weirdness that it worked for me. Not great but it made me genuinely lolz a few times and anything with Bill Murray deserves at least 6/10.

7. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]

Halloween (1978) rewatched this classic on Halloween night with my teenager daughter who had never watched it before and truly scared her. Still very effective even if it has been ripped-off a million times since. John Carpenter at his directorial best. The long uncut opening shot is a technical masterpiece. Per Carpenter he never wanted sequels, but the studio went ahead with them anyway. Also we watched half of Rob Zombie's remake, but it wasn't scary, just too gross for our taste so we turned it off.

8. Panchyprsss

The Judge Tony Stark as a lawyer in a lachrymose forced predictable plot that leaves a lot to be desired. One the most boring films of the year. It has a few moments of sparkling movie magic, but not enough to lift it from mediocrity. 5/10

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  9. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I wanted to like that film but Wes Anderson turns my stomach wallowing in "quirkiness"

10. Panchyprsss

The Captive Interesting drama about a kidnaped preteen girl and the ordeal she and her parents go through for eight years. The film could have been better if it had a chronological sequence of events to keep you guessing, but director Atom Egoyan tried to do a head-scratching pulp fiction-like editing job that just blows away all the major plot surprises within the first 30 minutes. At least the climax is exciting enough to keep you glued to the edge of your seat. Ryan Reynolds was decent here as well as Rosario Dawson. 7/10

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5z3_vcRbi7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Reign over me 10/10
    Malcolm X 7/10

12. Panchyprsss

You got those scores inverted: no Adam Sandler film can be a masterpiece of 10 out of 10.

13. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I think thats the 4th film i've ever given 10/10 to, i thought it was pretty flawless

14. Panchyprsss

Rottentomatoes disagree with you. :nono:

15. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Into the wild - 2/10. Shit casting, shit scoring, shit dialogue. Book was much better

16. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    On most things no doubt.

17. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

I thought this film was pretty great.

Silly hipster contrarian scoring method, quantified by the phrase "Book was much better". :nono:

I hate that phrase. It's like eating a banana, and complaining that it doesn't taste like an orange.

Either the movie was good or it wasn't. The source material has nothing to do with nothing.

Yeah, I'm butthurt, Fuck You! :flip:

18. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    It has something to do with adding a recommendation for the book if anybody might be interested in the subject matter and was gonna go one way or the other. Film is pish. Couldnt even make it to the end.

19. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

That movie's a fucking 10 all day.

20. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Panchy probably gave it a 7 or 8. He saves his 9's & 10's only for the most classic Oscar worthy stuff. Films like Snowpiercer, Captain America the Winter Soldier, or X-Men Days of Future Past just to name a few.

21. lb 4 lb

Got 3 new films to review...well sorta.

Life Of A King - Cuba Gooding Jr is an excon who tries to stear some troubled high school teens away from a life of crime and or prison by teaching them the game of chess while also repairing his relationship with his own son and daughter. Based on a true story. This was a pretty good drama film with a strong performance by Gooding who for some reason seems to be black balled by the industry and is in straight to video hell. It's nothing you haven't seen before with similarities to Stand By Me or Dangerous Minds but still a good film in it's own right. 7/10.

Tried to watch 2 other films but aborted viewing them for different reasons without even going 30 minutes in.

Six Degrees of Seperation - Heard this was good and thought the premise sounded interesting. While watching it I didn't like the way the story was going and the way the dialogue was done it seemed to come off more like the play the film was based on. The film didn't look to be done very well, and didn't seem very interesting at all. I fast forwarded a bit to see if it looked like it would get better and it didn't so I aborted it.

The Monuments Men - I was expecting this to be a serious straight forward drama but after watching only a few minutes into it, this didn't seem like the kind of film I thought it was going to be. I stopped watching for a second to read some IMDB reviews and they pretty much confirmed what I was seeing early on, that the film wasn't the type of serious drama I was expecting so I continued to not watch it.

22. Panchyprsss

You must judge a film by its own merits and not by your expectations.

23. lb 4 lb

Yeah, maybe, but deciding if I actually want to watch it or not is something I can absolutely do based on my expectations.

24. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    The Purge:Anarchy 6.5/10. Better than the first one. It was what I thought the first one should have been. Worth watching.

25. Panchyprsss

I have watched quite a few films lately so I will gives give them briefs reviews:

Jersey Boys Clint Eastwood directed this mildly entertaining film about the rise of Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons based on the Broadway musical. Instead of delivering a movie musical, Eastwood opted for biopic drama, but its lack of accuracy, since is based on the stage play and not on strict actual events, makes the film feeling superfluous at times. Best scene? The ending credits with all the cast singing and dancing in the street Bollywood style. Too bad Eastwood didn't filmed that movie...could have been more fun. 6.5/10

The Notebook My teenager daughter forced me to watch this again since she had never watched it before. This time I found it more entertaining than the first time ten years ago. I still couldn't swallow that Ryan Gosling's character grew old to look like James Garner in one of cinema's biggest WTF moments. Still the sight of babelicious Rachel McAdams is always a treat. My daughter cried like for 10 minutes after the movie was over. I'll cry if I have to watch this again. 7.5/10

If I Stay
    I know, I know! Another chick flick. What can I do? Only me and my cat are the only males in the house with 4 females. This GHOST-wannabe had a good premise and solid acting by its main star, Chloe Grace Moretz, but unfortunately the direction and editing job was far from enjoyable. Instead of a straight line narrative the film plays in flashbacks and stays too long on dumb sequences. Like for example, the girl's boyfriend is the singer of an aspiring rock band. That's fine, but do we need to listen to entire songs while he performs with the band three or four times? Strictly for teenager girls. 5/10

The Paw Project powerful documentary about what really happens to domestic cats when they are declawed: they are mutilated and crippled. I always thought vets merely removed the claws. Far from it. They chop the kittens toes to the bone! It is just plain cruel. These cats are in PAIN for the rest of their lives, start presenting behavioral problems like biting and most often than not ends being turned at the Animal Shelter were most likely they will be euthanized. The documentary showcases the crusade of one veterinary trying to make declawing illegal in the USA, one of the few countries in the world where declawing is legal. 8/10

Miss Representation
    another eye-opening documentary that educates the viewer how the Media is shaping the mind of society in its distorted images of women as sex objects and how the 'skinny look' ideal is creating mental health problems among young girls who don't view themselves as 'hot'. Recommended to all parents and teenagers. 8/10

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  26. Panchyprsss

agREED. It was better.

27. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Wall street: Money never sleeps - 4/10. It wasn't bad but pretty forgettable.

28. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1: 3/10.....it was TWO hours of Katniss overacting and crying....2 hours of the people in charge(Haymitch, Plutarch, President Alma, etc) trying to get Katniss to do the right thing to throw gasoline on the revolution....and that bitch just crying like a 14 year old girl every time she saw Peete on screen....it was sickening...a 2 hour movie that could have been condense into 1 hr and that additional hour could've been use to show how the revolution fighting went from district to district....

29. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :atu:

30. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Lost in translation - 9/10.