GGG vs Kell Brook - Sep 10th at the O2

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Slice N Dice, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

AgREED........Khan had carefully picked fights to position himself for a fat payday vs Mayweather or Pac.

2. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Turpin was from the Fiddies, so you know, he actually LACED them up at some point.

3. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I have heard that Brook struggles to make 147. But I was expecting Brook vs Smith, honestly.

I'm still shocked this fight got signed. It's not even a major cash out.

4. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

As crazy as it might sound, is Brook a step up in class for triple G?

5. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    No. Brook wouldn't beat LeMoo

6. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    You know what it was, I came home from work and around 7 I was suddenly kind of sleepy so I went to the bedroom to take what I thought would be a nap... I woke up at 3 AM and decided to have a cig and see what was up on Fightbeat:lol:

7. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    maybe so... good on him for trying if that's the case

8. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    his fights weren't filmed in HD so therefore he was awful ...boxers only became good when TV cameras became better

9. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

cdogg, do you think if we heavily increase double L's taxes we'd not only have GGG-Canelo but a lot of other high quality fights?

10. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    definitely... I also think if we make Double L pay for school lunches for poor kids, their folks will have extra money to buy PPVs which will incentivize promoters and networks to make better matches

11. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

:lol::bears:

12. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Poor matchup. Probably meant to set up a fight with Saunders. Not comparable to Khan though, who wasn't a top 5 welter, was past prime and Brook was a huge welter. Better matchup than Eubank to be honest and outside of Jacobs who was he really going to fight?

13. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    :mj:

14. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I just got done listening to how Thurman vs Porter was the two best welterweights. Brook was just as impressive against Porter as Thurman.

Obvious ploy? Whatever. Jumping two divisions to face a p4p monster is commendable and nothing else. What a sneaky ducker Otis Grant was for facing Roy, right?

Brook could have fought Canelo if he wanted an easier path to the same money. He could have fought Thurman for less. Still can.

15. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

When Brook loses and fights no worthwhile welters for the remainder of his career, you'll accept that this was a cash-out, though, aye? :dunno:

Brook's team had a ton of options and jumped at this one. I wonder why. His career hardly points to a man who fancies his shot against the best in his division. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my crow. I don't think I am, though.

MTF

16. meetthefeebles

Brook is not a name in the UK. He's about 10% as well know as even Khan is. He doesn't make the kind of money that you would think he might. This is a massive payday for him - they'll PPV it and he'll probably be on a majority of UK PPV sales. The name is GGG - even among casual fans he's a name to conjoure with here as the middleweight best.

There is no welterweight fight that makes Brook the kind of money this makes. It's a perfect cashout for him. All he has to do is not get KTFO so badly that he can't run back to 147 afterwards and fight a few more coke-fuelled lightweights.

MTF

17. meetthefeebles

Let me put it this way. Brook has won 36 fights. How many of his fights have been against even top-10 ranked opposition? Porter, sure. Then what?

MTF

18. meetthefeebles

Kell Brook's second best career win is against a guy who lost to a Paulie Malinaggi four years past a hiding from Ricky Hatton. His third best win is a rematch against a guy who got jobbed in their first fight and who busted him up pretty badly. That's Brook's resume, in a nutshell. His three defenses are against two blokes no-one had heard of and a cocaine-addicted lightweight. If he's the best 147lber in the world, the rest must be beyond shite.

MTF

19. puerto rock

Even if Brook gets KO'd (Which he probably will in all seriousness), I don't see him going back to 147.

He'll campaign at 154. He can always build for a domestic showdown with Liam Smith once he himself gets iced by Canelo. There's also the possibility of facing a Miguel Cotto since it seems that Cotto-Marquez is having a few road blocks to getting signed.

That is of course, if he doesn't just flat out RETIRE, altogether. If this is indeed his cash out fight, I could see him easily gone from the sport in that case, especially if he goes out Khan style.

Speaking of Khan, I think he's done for good, essentially. Maybe he goes the David Haye route of popping up here and there for some non-descript fight and if the chance to make money comes up, he'll run his mouth until he gets a big fight again.

20. meetthefeebles

Our back and forths on Khan are well documented and not worth repeating. All I'll say is this - for all that Khan was a limited, chinless boxbot, he went to the US and fought proper contenders. Some he won, some he got bambi-on-iced in hilarious fashion, but at least he had the balls to step up.

Khan's resume absolutely pisses all over Brook's from a great height. Khan's fifth best opponent is better than anything on Brook's resume bar Porter, and even then, we are talking about a bloke who has lost the two biggest fights he's had.

Brook will either get iced here and retire, or he'll get iced and run for the hills. I'll eat my crow if necessary but this is EXACTLY the thing I've been saying about Brook for years. 36 fights in and he's fought ONE top-level welterweight. His resume is an absolute disgrace.

MTF

21. Double L

Double L Book Reader

thurman did not fight like a bitch against porter.

22. Bordon

I think Brook was ready to leave 147 and he figured he might as well go for the gusto and try tonnage himself a star at 160 rather than just gain some respect against someone like the Charlos or Andrade.

23. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

This officially means Thurman vs Spence will decide who's the best at 147. Step up, Keith!

24. puerto rock

Thurman won't fight Spence.

25. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    Pacquiao-Brook in either London or the Phillipines??

Okay, Pac says he's retired. Whatever, he'll be back.

26. Wiser 1878

Management/Health Care
    Funny, I just checked the news on Pac and they're considering Jessie Vargas (who was supposed to fight Brook in Sheffield) as their next opponent.

27. Wiser 1878

Management/Health Care
    :bravo: I've been saying these things for a while. There are a couple of guys here that are always mentioning Brook as possibly the best current WW. I always wondered what in the hell they're basing that on. He has one of the most embarrassingly bad resumes of any champion now.

28. Bordon

Khan is at the end of his career so comparing his resume to Brooks is silly. Khan was decent but he never really achieved much.

29. meetthefeebles

Oh dear. Brook has had THIRTY SIX fights (one more than Khan) and is actually a year older than Khan.

MTF :lol:

30. Wiser 1878

Management/Health Care
    Brook has had 36 professional fights. He's no spring chicken. He's fought Shawn Porter. Since he won his belt he's fought Jo Dan, Frankie Gavin, and Kevin Bizier. What a fucking joke!

Khan beat Maidana, Judah, Collazo, Malignaggi, Alexander, Algieri, Barrera, Diaz and lost to Peterson and Garcia. There really is no comparison here.