Black Panther initial reactions from World Premier...

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Like Live And Let Die ?
    Excellent!!
    Unfortunately I've been forced to go and watch the latest '50 Shades' movie tomorrow - the missus has gotten into it bigtme. ...

2. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    It was good. Not very good and definitely not the best comic book movie ever made. Solid acting and action and a good story.

3. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    D&M
    How likely are you to recommend this movie to someone you know between 0-10?

4. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

It’s not appropriate for kids under 10

5. Joe King

Player
    The one on one fights were very disappointing. Everything else was solid.

6. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Lol I mean on a scale from 0-10.

7. Destruction and Mayhem

Ah. Then it’ll be a 10. Loved it

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

So, ´very good´ translates into a 10/10....

9. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Basically, Sly is lying.
    He rates it as an 8.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

I was addressing Rainmaker's specific question: How likely are you to recommend it? I've recommended it to everyone I've spoken to. So 10 out of 10.

I don't rate the film as 10 out of 10.

11. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

Black Panther (2018 Marvel Studios) Amid a hoopla of feverish media hype that many times has bordered in plain insanity, Marvel Studios finally released what once was considered a risky movie based on a practically unknown character for most audiences that got its first cinematic exposure in the box office blockbuster Captain America: Civil War. As it stands now, Black Panther is already a household name even before the movie opened and all points out that the once risky venture can have one of the biggest openings of all time of over $200 million. Disney has done an amazing job in selling this film like an event that everybody MUST watch. The question remains, is 'Black Panther' as great as the over-the-top media fanfare proclaims it to be? Actually...no, but it is pretty good, thank you for asking. The film delivers with excellent cinematography (one of the most gorgeous looking movie in years), engaging characters, interesting plot and amazing musical arrangements with African vibes (got to get that soundtrack which amazingly was NOT featured in the trailers). Considering all this, why, you might ask, the movie is not great. Well, while it looks innovative it still sticks very close to the same overused formula Marvel has repeated ad nauseum in all its origin films: Iron-Man fought another armored villain, Hulk battled another gamma ray giant, Ant-man fought another villain similar to him, and on and on and on. That plus many times the action was too fast and too CGI. Reminded me of Transformers at times. All that said, the film is entertaining and fun to watch. The after credits first scene was extremely preachy, too much PC globalist bullcrap for my taste and the second scene, while better, wasn't surprising at all since we have already seen the trailer for The Avengers: Infinity War. Good movie, but don't expect the Second Coming. 8/10

12. Destruction and Mayhem

It’s true that the MCU loves to pit the heroes against someone just like themselves. Most action flicks do that though if you think about it. Your point is valid though. Good review. Well balanced

13. Panchyprsss

The marketing for this film has been extremely effective. Most of Marvel films core audiences are white males, however this film has connected incredibly with black audiences of all genders and ages (the theater where I watched it the audience was predominantly African American and there were even many geriatric people that could barely walk who came maybe for the first time in many years to a movie theater to watch this film). This film will make over $200 million this weekend. Mark my words!

14. Destruction and Mayhem

It has a very good cast too which helps. Also many people love the lion king and this film being set in Africa about a king reminds people of that

15. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I never understood that uproar about the need for a female superhero for the sake of having a female superhero. Wonder Woman wasn’t the first female superhero film at all. There’s been Supergirl, Red Sonja and Aeon Flux. Let’s not even get into all the recent action films that had female leads like Haywire, Atomic Blonde and all the Angelina Jolie heroine led action films like Salt, Taking Lives and 2 Tomb Raider films which has its on reboot dropping any day now.

Well MBJ has led his own films, also most films-including most of the Marvel movies-have actors in complimentary roles who can carry their own movie.

16. Joe King

Player

First point, it's all marketing and the sheep fall in to the trap and shell out their cash. It's fine. It's their choice.
    That said, there have been many movies lead by females obviously, but DC used the agenda hardcore and gladly ignored the past to make money.

I'd love to see MBJ and Wesley Snipes in a BLADE reboot.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

I wouldn't rank it as the best MCU film (MCU has has a very high standard to date) ....but it's in the top 5. Killmonger was a good villain although a tad overrated. He wasn't as good a villain as Loki, Iron Monger or even Yellowjacket. However I loved the more serious tone of this film (after that slapstick comedy, Ragnarok) and the acting was superb as well as the character development.

I love how traditional African garb and culture was woven into high tech superhero 21st century espionage. Very well done. I like the world of the ancestors, the mythology around the heart shaped herb, the back story, the deposed King who returns to claim back his throne. All great themes. I like the fact that while they touched on race, it wasn't overt and wasn't central to the film.

As I said before, I liked how they handled conflicting loyalties etc. It was a mature film.

18. Destruction and Mayhem

The top 5 MCU in no particular order for me are

Avengers
    Civil War
    Winter Soldier
    Black Panther
    Guardians of the Galaxy (Original)

But I also loved

Thor, Ant Man, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Ultron, Incredible Hulk, Guardians 2,

19. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

Initial reaction... who turned oot the lights?

20. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

lololololol

21. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

This is my top-5 with Spider-Man II to make up the 5.

22. Panchyprsss

Here we go again...

23. Panchyprsss

Black Panther has broken all sorts of box office records this weekend. It ranks as the fifth highest opening of all time, best February opening of all time, highest grossing opening for a Black cast/director of all time, it almost broke 'Marvel's the Avengers' opening numbers so it ranks a second close to Marvel's best among all the 18 films of the studio. It also gathered the record biggest attendance of African American audiences among all superhero films ever made. But lets listen to my gal Grace give you all the details in her box office report.

24. Joe King

Player
    February is such a good month to release a big movie. January-February is dry as hell of good movies. That's why Deadpool did huge numbers too. Deadpool and Black Panther are minor characters and look at how well they did.

25. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

It Speaks to the IMPORTANCE of This Film...

For All the Talk of it Being OVERHYPED and PC Police Being Afraid to CRITIQUE it, This Film Couldn't Possibly Be Overhyped to BLACKS...

Growing Up, REED Would've Given a LIMB to See a BLACK Superhero Depicted On Screen in a Mainstream Motion Picture...REED Heard of "Black Panther" Back then, but NEVER Had Access to his Comics...By Process of Elimination, "Iron Man" became REED's Favorite Super-Hero On the Strength of James Rhodey Rhodes...

The Geriatric People You Spoke Of Likely Thought They'd NEVER See the Day...A BLACK Superhero Movie Replete w/Predominantly BLACK Cast, Intentionally Marketed to BLACK Audiences (Legitimately, Not in a Pandering or Condescending Fashion), Touching on the Ever DICEY Relationship btwn Africans and African-Americans...

No, "Black Panther" ISN'T the Best Comic Book Flick REED's Ever Seen, but as a Black Man, it's Undeniably the Most IMPORTANT One...There was a RELEVANT Message...REED Could RELATE to Kill Monger's ANGST, Though his METHODS were Misguided...

REED Beams w/PRIDE that Young Black Children Can Now See STRONG, SOPHISTICATED, INTELLIGENT and REGAL Men and Women On Screen, THEIR Color...Kings, Queens, Scientists, etc...

Black Panther ISN'T a Courtesy, Peripheral, 2nd Class Super Hero...And the Positive Imagery the Flick Puts Forth, Particularly to Black Youth, Can't Be Overstated...

REED:cool:

26. Panchyprsss

I demand an equally important Latino SuperHero film!!!
    (No, El Chapulin Colorado doesn't count!)

[​IMG]

27. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

There Absolutely Should Be MORE Latin Superhero’s...

As REED Types, He Can’t Think of Even 1...

REED

28. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Good testimony ... well stated, REED

REEDsART likes this.
  29. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Does Zorro count or is he more like a cowboy hero a la The Lone Ranger?

30. Destruction and Mayhem

There’s no such thing as Latino as a race though. The average Colombian looks nothing like the average Mexican. Brazilians can be white, black and other. So it doesn’t make sense to say there should be a Latino superhero.