Dune (2020) finished principal photography

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

The newest Dune movie supposedly scheduled for release by the end of this year has finished its principal photography and it enters now the post-production phase of special effects, music, etc. This is one of the most anticipated films of the year and there is buzz that a small footage (with no CGI special effects) seen by a handful of industry people, had them very pumped calling the footage 'Epic', 'beautiful and mind blowing' and got comparisons to Peter Jackson's 'Lord of The Rings' (of course it can also be paid bullshit publicity hype). The film it is being helm by French Canadian director Denis Vileneuve who has directed critically acclaimed films like 'Sicario', "The Arrival" and "Blade Runner 2049". It stars Timothee Chalamet (The King, Call Me by your Name) as Paul Atreides, Zendaya (Spider-Man: Far from Home) as Chani, Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides, Rebecca Fergusson (M.I.: Rogue Nation) as Lady Jessica, Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, Stellan Skarsgard as Vlad Harkonen, plus Dave Bautista, Josh Brolin, Javier Barden, Charlotte Rampling, Oliver Ryan and a bunch of others.

A teaser trailer will be released soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Having read the novel one might think it’s pretty obvious this should have been a tv or miniseries.

I’m
    not saying that’s the case though because I never read the novel.

3. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Yes; you're correct, lb.
    I thought it would be difficult to create as a single movie when I first read the novel way back in 1983:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully, they can get a 160-180min cut as well as being faithful to the original material but it's a big ask.

lb 4 lb likes this.
  4. Panchyprsss

ScyFy Channel did a DUNE mini-series long time ago. While it had limited budget it was pretty darn good and with a decent cast too. They even adapted Children of Dune too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Panchyprsss

First images released.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides with James Brolin.

[​IMG]

House Atreides in da house! Is the one in the front a shaved Jason Momoa?
    [​IMG]

To please the SJW PC crowd the leader of the Fremen (played by the late great Max Von Sydow in the original film) was gender swapped into a black woman.

[​IMG]

Zendaya as Chani.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rebecca Fergusson as Lady Jessica
    [​IMG]

6. Panchyprsss

All that said, the article from Vanity Fair and other websites are claiming that the director & producers said that this version will be a WOKE Dune. I am disappointed now.

7. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Epic cast! Didn't know who was attached. I haven't watched the original yet, but have bought it.

8. Panchyprsss

Watch the original, but be aware is long and slow paced.

9. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Yup....

Panchy you pedo fuck is this going to be broken down into 3-4 movies series? If not it won' work....3-4 is not enough....

10. lb 4 lb

I’d imagine it’d need to perform well at the box office to get green lit for sequels and when put on screen this series hasn’t exactly lived up to expectations at any point.

11. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Because it's not a movie-series...

12. Panchyprsss

First book will be divided into two films...if the first doesn't flop.

13. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Should have let Alejandro Jodorowsky complete his 1975 attempt - but a) he's crazy and b) his screenplay would've resulted in a 12-hour movie.

[​IMG]

The consensus now is, if he'd completed it, Star Wars was NOT going to get the 'green light' the folllowing year.

14. Double L

Double L Book Reader

:D

15. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

16. Panchyprsss

Why?

17. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Mainly because George Lucas felt, if Dune was going to get made in 1975-76, his ´core´ theme for Star Wars would be seen as an exact copy and no studio would have given him the budget....albeit at least until the late 70s, early 80s.
    Lucas, amongst other ideas (John Carter, Flash Gordon, etc), ´took´ a large chunk of Herbert´s original novel for use with Star Wars.

Quote:
    ´Actually, the great Dune film did get made. Its name is Star Wars. Lucas used so many references and ideaa from Dune.
    In early drafts, this story of a desert planet, an evil emperor, and a boy with a galactic destiny also included warring noble houses and a princess guarding a shipment of something called “aura spice”. All manner of borrowings from Dune litter the Star Wars universe, from the Bene Gesserit-like mental powers of the Jedi to the mining and “moisture farming” on Tattooine. Frank Herbert knew he’d been ripped off, and thought he saw the ideas of other SF writers in Lucas’s money-spinning franchise. He and a number of colleagues formed a joke organisation called the ´We’re Too Big to Sue George Lucas Society.´

18. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Complaining about a black person cast as someone who lives on a desert planet has to be the worst example of woke recasting ever.

There are times when you can point to pandering in casting. I don’t think this is one of those. Dark skin fits in hot climates. You really think Von Sydows pasty ass is a better fit for that type of character?

19. Panchyprsss

You are totally missing the point here. The character in the book is described as a Caucasian MALE. It is the gender swap that is getting the most criticism as it is just another attempt at SJW PC politics, matriarchy rule and all that jazz. The fact that they also made the character black confirms more about PC politics agenda. It is not about race as no one is making a stinker about Zendaya, who is black, playing Chani.

20. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Why weren't any Puerto Ricans casted, Panchy?

I guess cause they don't work in movies, either.

Steve-Dingo likes this.
  21. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Either?

22. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

Why are there no Celtic saepporters in Star Trek? They dinnae work in the future either.

Anyhoo, Ah don’ care that the leader o’ the Fremen is a black woman. Just go wi’ the flow and and change yer own attitude a wee bit. Ah didnae care fer some o’ the changes made in LOTR’s but Ye’ve always got the books.

STILL looking forward tae new Dune.

23. Panchyprsss

There weren't any Ricans in The Passion of the Christ either, which today will be viewed as racist and xenophobic for its lack of diversity and inclusivity.

24. Joe King

Player
    Just watched the original. It was good, not the classic people make it out to be. I am still looking forward to Villenueve's take on this.

25. lb 4 lb

Uhm, nobody ever said Dune was a classic. It’s a classic shit-sandwich that was universally panned by critics and it’s own fans. In fact you’re the first person I know that even thought it was good.

Panchy warning you it was slow was just a nice way of saying it was boring.

26. Joe King

Player
    I have to judge it by the time period it was released in. It was good for back then.

27. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Agreed.

It comes off even worse when you´ve ploughed through the first three books (the first of which is incredible)...and you watch Dune....and you go: ´WHHHAAAAATTTTTT!!!???´

28. lb 4 lb

Well when exactly do you think the critics and fans panned it, last year? It was a shit-sandwich back then and it’s a shit-sandwich now.

I also know there is no way you actually thought that movie was good. I think you thought it was a classic so you just went along with that mistaken narrative. You saying you didn’t think it was the classic everyone claims it as was your nice way of saying it was boring.

29. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

But you´re asking someone who´s greatest desire in life is to meet Tom Cruise. :pop:

30. Panchyprsss

I do like it and have watched it quite a few times. Yes, it is slow, but then so is The Godfather. Was the Godfather boring because it was slow?