Fights You Watched Today

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Randall v Chavez 1. I had it 115-111 to Randall. First point deduction was firm (no warning) but fair - it was pretty low. The second point deduction seemed harsh and looked to be made more based on Randall's reaction and because Chavez had gone low once before.

But the right guy won and the punch for the knockdown was a beauty.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I rewatched Vic Darchinyan vs Irene Pacheco last night.

Rat face beat the Hell outta Pacheco.

3. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

My wife was watching The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills so I felt compelled to watch a violent brawl and put Boza-Limon on. And balance to the universe was restored.

4. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Josh Kelly vs. the man who retired Shane Mosley, David Avenesyan.

Needless to say, Kelly's career is in tatters

5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

lol

Did you see Warrington lose last week, Jel?

Lara made Bazooka Limon look like Alexis Arguello, he was that wise.

Jel likes this.
  6. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

I caught the knockout and some highlights but didn't watch it live. Doesn't say much for Warrington by the sound of it?

7. George Crowcroft

No he did not.

8. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Leap-Amateur

Hiroshi Kawashima vs Boy Aruan

Title defense for Kawashima. 115lbs. From the start, it is immediately apparent that Kawashima is a skilled operator. Well schooled movement, sharp and practised. However, he's in against another southpaw here, and he's an aggressive one. Kawashima struggles to adapt to the streams of aggressive southpaw leads from Aruan, and land his own, but they are much too infrequent in this short bout. Multiple protestations from Kawashima about head clashing. Not justified in my opinion, as he frequently look to hold or swerve Aruan's head when he is in the danger zone. There is more controversy over a punch after the break which knocks Kawashima down, in which Aruan is not deducted a point, with commentators complaining. Justified, in my opinion, as Kawashima had again been holding the head down. Aruan could not see what he was occurring and throws a left inside as was his game plan. In any case, Kawashima seems to recover pretty quickly. Aruan also lands some good body shots early, but the flash comes when Kawashima, angered, starts laying out flurries of hard shots, which accurately find the mark. Repeatedly Aruan is hurt and staggered by fast screw shots and uppercuts, until an especially energetic pounding is stopped by referee Padilla in the 3rd round. A decent showcase for Kawashima.

9. roughdiamond

We all know it was really the opposite way round.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  10. George Crowcroft

I love posts like this. Written so beautifully. Extremely easy to read.

roughdiamond likes this.
  11. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Damn - busted.

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Canelo vs. Yildirum...

REED:Facepalm:

13. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Watched Donald Curry v Milton McCrory this morning. What a left hook. The right hand follow up wasn't bad either!

14. roughdiamond

I actually prefer doing it like this instead of scoring, so I'll keep at it.

15. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Didn't even watched it. Yildrim is a first order bum

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED Never Saw Him Fight Previously and Never Plans on Watching Him Fight Again.

REED:Dan1:

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Watched Coetzee vs. Dokes. Amazing how few answers Dokes had for Coetzee. Cocaine is a hell of a drug!

Jel likes this.
  18. roughdiamond

Hiroshi Kawashima vs Cecilio Espino

Title defence for Kawashima. 115lbs. 12 rounds. The action starts immediately, with Espino, orthodox, going at it with bullish enthusiasm. Kawashima, southpaw, is slow on the uptake, taking his time to adjust to Espino's rhythm and pace. Even still, I gave him the first two, with a beautiful slide-cum-left hand counter being the highlight. Espino, for his nasty intent, is well schooled, and approaches the third round with clever dips and some thudding body shots. Despite his style, Kawashima is spiteful when struck, and an exchange is initiated. Even round in my book, but only because of Kawashima's early work, so it could easily go to the rugged Mexican. The fourth comes in a similar fashion, with Espino trying to bait with dips and throwing lead bombs to head and body, taking everything thrown at him, which earns him the round in my view. This man is tough.
    The fifth round, however, is where the man known as 'Untouchable' starts to shine. Slipping, sliding, baiting and expertly aggressive counters suddenly shift the rhythm for the Japanese. A little doubt creeps in on Espino, and his Boxing shows it ever so slightly. The sixth round, however, is where this bout turns into what can only be classed as a beautiful exhibition of the sweet science. Boxing expertly, Kawashima lands a left which staggers Espino, which shifts the momentum for the Japanese, a momentum which lasts until the end of the fight. Highlight reel displays of slippery, sliding defence and left handed counters ensue, with major moments being seen in the eighth and tenth rounds, with exchanges coming out entirely in favour of Kawashima. There is a practised, hard earned edge to Kawashima's skill and capability, and I found it very entertaining to watch. Even still, the Mexican Espino never stops trying through the pounding he is receiving, and is gutsy enough to still keep rounds close and try to give as good as he is getting. The eleventh and twelfth see a lull for Kawashima, who correctly assumes he has it in the bag. Only his flurries and sharp footwork are enough to give these to him.
    All in all, this was an excellent display of Boxing and defensive flair, with both providing spirit and entertainment, though with one proving much better than the other. Another bout to add to the underrated 'Mexico vs Japan' rivalry.

Kawashima - Espino

1: 10 - 9
    2: 10 - 9
    3: 10 - 10 (Top round!)
    4: 9 - 10 (Close)
    5: 10 - 9 (Sharp from K)
    6: 10 - 9 (E staggered)
    7: 10 - 9
    8: 10 - 9 (E hurt)
    9: 10 - 9
    10: 10 - 9 (Exchange!)
    11: 10 - 9 (Slow)
    12: 10 - 9

TOTAL: 119 - 110 KAWASHIMA

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Jel, Double L and George Crowcroft like this.
  19. George Crowcroft

Watching Estrada vs Rungvisai II for the first time, and my God. DAZN commentators are fucking tragic. He's fought the whole first round in the wrong stance and literally not a single word about it.

roughdiamond likes this.
  20. roughdiamond

They need to start offering PPVs without commentators imo.

21. George Crowcroft

"Hey now Rungvisai goes southpaw, I wonder why he did that Sergio" lol

roughdiamond likes this.
  22. roughdiamond

lol

23. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Stupendous breakdown, RD! I've watched Kawashima vs Espino twice now.

Do you think it would be fair to say that Kawashima was just a lesser Watanabe?

roughdiamond likes this.
  24. George Crowcroft

We just got to the end of the fifth and Mora says "he's been fighting all of this round in the orthodox stance. Guys, he's a southpaw. This says to me he's frustrated"

Like, what the fuck have you been watching???

roughdiamond likes this.
  25. George Crowcroft

They're also talking about Rungvisai like he's fresh out of Muay Thai. Talking about how his stance is wrong and that a wide stance might work in MT but how in boxing you need to more side on. While they might be right (debatable, anyway) but they're treating him like he wasn't top ten P4P at the time.

26. roughdiamond

Well they share similarities (for obvious reasons), but I don't think it's that fair to say. Kawashima was slicker in upperbody movement and tried to box with flair, whilst being less offensively varied, but refined in what he threw. Jiro was just a standout with brilliant offense (which his Kenpo background had big influence on) and ring sense, alongside positioning. He was also just a much bigger talent imo. He avoided situations with clever instinct and spite that Kawashima had to train hard in his career to adapt to (which he did very well to be fair). I think Jiro is better to compare to Gushiken style wise. Kawashima to me seems a Japanese interpretation of slick American styles.

Xplosive likes this.
  27. George Crowcroft

I just finished the second Rungvisai fight - and my God - what a fuck up that was. Why on earth did he not switch earlier? It was embarrassing from him. His balance was all over the place, he couldn't land anything of note which was powerful because not only could he not get in range, it looked like he didn't even kno how to generate power from that stance. Why the fuck wasn't his team telling him to sort his shit out?

Estrada looked absolutely fantastic for the first eight rounds. Best I ever saw him, but as soon as Rungvisai started getting into his own rhythm - and stance :lol: - he made it like the first. Estrada's defence, hand-speed, footwork and counters looked great. He was dazzling SSR, and he genuinely looked like one of the very best in the world. This was a great win, and a great performance from JFE. But for me, it's a little tainted by the sheer stupidity of Rungvisai. It's SSR's fault - no doubt - but had he not been a retard, he'd have won IMO.

Jel likes this.
  28. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Ill get flack for that, but.i don't think rung is that good.of a fighter. Sure he has.power, but hes rather slow and crude for such a small guy

Xplosive likes this.
  29. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Yeah. I got a similar impression watching it. It seemed like something was wrong with SSR. My very first thought was, "why did he throw the fight? Is he hoping for a rubber match?"

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  30. George Crowcroft

I might be getting my wires crossed but I'm pretty sure his dad died shortly before. I know he definitely split up with his wife not long before as well.

I think he was in the wrong place mentally, and his team were fucking diabolical.

Jel likes this.