SEE YOU! A brand spanking new modern fitba thread 2022/23

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame/Shame' started by Xplosive, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    FyN9EBRWwAcW_Dj.jpeg.jpg

Irish likes this.
  2. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Good. Fuck em. Send somebody round the house now, Sky.

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Mandatory viewing..

4. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Mad watching so many Celtic fans turn on a dime this week, Rodgers transforming from snake to prodigal son in days. Im gonna be stood up in my back row perch grumbling throughout.... watching a bunch of overpriced signings from england create a horseshoe of futility with sideways passes for two years

5. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Sorry guys. I couldn't handle the collapse. It's the closest Arsenal has been to winning the league in the 11 years I've been following. Bright future but this still stings.

Irish likes this.
  6. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
  7. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Celtic get the announcement in 13 minutes before Brentford announce they're looking for a new manager. Phew

Fy-0-xFWcAEDLKU.jpeg.jpg

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Pity that.

9. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Ps i dont think Brentford want a new manager its Bournemouth.

10. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Oh aye i knew that too, sorry....im getting my overachieving clubs starting with B mixed up

Irish likes this.
  11. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Random American observation I made yesterday: Was walking around my block, and saw a group of kids playing a lil soccah kick about. This is something you just didn't use to see in the States. You'd see kids in the street playing baseball, but you just don't anymore. Now you see em outside playing basketball, throwing around an American football, and kicking around a world football.

Baseball fans are pretty terrified about the prospect of fitba coming for its spot in the U.S. I think it has about 10-15 years before it gets overtaken as the US's third biggest sport.

12. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Probably explained by demographics and exposure to foreign sports and sports-stars which is enabled by the internet etc.

I think football/soccer will eventually rival Gridiron. Just not yet.

Baseball really is a niche sport. It's called"Americas Game" and that's just about right.

Soccer is Universal and financially rewarding and offers opportunities and levels at which you can make decent money even if you're only the 250th best player in the World etc

13. Xplosive

Soccer won't overcome Gridiron in the U.S. anytime soon. Not in our lifetimes, anyway. The NFL and college football is too much of a religion and a mass business over here for that to happen.

It could pose a threat to baseball though. Still pretty far off from baseball in the U.S., but it's not as big a gap as it used to be.

14. Joe King

Player
    I still remember when Baseball wast the #1 sport. Crazy how the NBA and NFL overtook them.World football should take them over by default within 10 years. MLS isn't strong enough to do that.

15. Xplosive

The NFL overtook baseball in the 70s. It isn't super recent.

16. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I'm not sure how you can measure popularity but baseball is at a major disadvantage because of weather and stadium design. An American football field is the same size everywhere and the players play "Rain sleet or snow." Professional basketball and hockey are indoor sports that can be performed in any arena at pretty much any time. Major cities can host one sport one night and the other the next. You can sort of do that in a stadium meant for baseball, but from football to soccer is a much easier job for the venue.

17. Joe King

Player
    No it didn't. Baseball was number 1 until the mid 80's. NBA was #1 for a bit with Bird/Magic and Jordan. NFL came on strong in the late 80's/early 90s and hasn't looked back. Early 2000s fantasy football solidified it.

What's crazy is that the WWF did 33 million for Hogan/Andre on Saturday Night's Main Event. That destroyed a lot of sports ratings.

18. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Pulled my hamstring for the first time today playing padel, fucking kills. Anyone know how long the pain/soreness lasts? Seems like differing information all over the net.

19. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

The reason is it varies by person and severity of the pull. I don't think you can put a time on it, only a range. There's probably not too much a doctor can do about it but if it doesn't improve at all within a week or gets worse you should see one.

Slice N Dice likes this.
  20. Slice N Dice

Cheers mate. Yeah it's not so bad that I can't walk (although is very sore), but I can't run at all without intense pain. Stupidly I kept on playing.

21. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I saw a couple of things online that said they're classified 'grades 1 to 3' with three being most severe. Grade one takes a week or two, grade two about double that and grade 3 can be up to 12 weeks. So i guess that's about the range. That was a sports context where recovery means back playing games, going full pelt so if its grade one or two hopefully that at least means you'll be walking pain free toot sweet

Fwiw i strained my hamstring a couple of months ago (totally inoccuously, old-man style) and was hobbling a bit and pretty worried on the day itself. But as far walking went it cleared up totally within two or three days. Sounds like yours is worse than mine was but hopefully its not as bad as it immediately seems either

22. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Slice is paddle the one thats like a blend of tennis and squash where you can bounce it off the walls? We've started playing pickleball once a week which is pretty fun.... according to the guy at the sports centre we're pretty much the only people in town under 60 who play it, but fuck it:Jest:

Slice N Dice likes this.
  23. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

That means when you reach 60 you'll have a shitload of experience and can turn pro!

24. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Haha i honestly thought the same thing

25. Slice N Dice

Cheers mate, yeah I think mine seems like a grade one, least severe case etc. If I'm good enough to walk then it can't be too bad, just need to rest up and keep some ice on it. Was due to play a tournament tomorrow and start muay thai on Wednesday but cancelled both of those to heal.

26. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

A couple of months ago i woke up with lower back pain, then when i got out of bed i think i moved too quickly or something and the pain shot right from my back/ass all down my leg. There was a massive strain and i could only alleviate it if i sat an angle or if i bent my knee and lifted my leg. It was like that for about 24 hours. Then after that i didn't need to sit at an angle, but I still felt a strain and one foot on that side was partially numb and tingling. I could walk reasonably normally but it made things worse, especially if it was a long walk. After about a week or so of no improvement i went to a walk-in clinic and they weren't of much help. Told me i should go for physio therapy. As i just started a new job that wasn't possible. Not even much of a diagnosis other than figuring it might be sciatica which i guess it was, but i had never had it before and not sure what brought it one. It lingered for well over two months.

All this from feeling fine the night before and then just waking up like that. Fucken sucks getting old. When i was young i could fall down a flight of stairs, get up, dust myself off and not feel a thing. Now somehow i hurt myself while fucken sleeping. :mad:

27. Slice N Dice

It is indeed! This is padel:

I've really wanted to try pickleball for ages too, looks like great fun. Need to find somewhere in London where they play it.

28. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Good that you did even if you can play through the pain. You're not a pro athlete playing in the championship game where you suck it up to get the job done. Rest and heal otherwise you'll aggravate things and risk a more severe injury.

Slice N Dice likes this.
  29. Slice N Dice

Precisely mate, yeah it sucks to pull out but better to let it heal than fuck it up even worse.

30. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I wonder if its inherent to getting old or if our muscles just shorten up because they're not getting used across their full range any more. But aye, i can feel the process starting to kick in the last two or three years :(