Batista’s a ‘Natural Athlete,’ Says Gracie

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Anthony, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Batistas-a-Natural-Athlete-Says-Gracie-25522

Former World Wrestling Entertainment star Dave Batista started a two-day training stint with the Cesar Gracie camp Wednesday after Strikeforce helped facilitate the connection with the potential signee and the noted California gym.

Gracie told Sherdog.com that Batista arrived this afternoon and worked out with former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and rolled with welterweight champion Nick Diaz at the Cesar Gracie gym in Lodi, Calif.

Gracie said that his initial read of the 41-year-old pro wrestler was that he is a “natural athlete.â€￾

“He’s got a lot to learn but his strength alone is impressive,â€￾ Gracie told Sherdog.com Wednesday evening. “Obviously he’s a beginner at jiu-jitsu but we can take a guy like that that’s already a strong athlete like that and teach him what to not get caught in.â€￾

Gracie said Batista, who grew up in Washington D.C., wrestled in high school and has some background in traditional martial arts standup fighting.

“He’s a pretty good kicker,â€￾ said Gracie. “He hits very hard.â€￾

Gracie said he, Batista, training partner Imani Lee and Strikeforce matchmaker Rich Chou were to meet Wednesday evening to discuss a game plan to get Batista ready for a pro MMA fight.

Strikeforce is negotiating with the multi-time Wrestlemania headliner to try his hand in MMA. A long-time fan of the sport, who has reportedly trained at the Affliction training facility in Los Angeles, Batista began talks with Strikeforce last month after ending a lucrative eight-year run with the WWE. Batista said in interviews that he had become disillusioned with the industry and has recently pursued film acting.

“I did discuss it with him and he told me he was definitely interested in doing an MMA fight, so that’s the game plan and I think what we’re going to discuss is a training schedule and some serious hardcore training,â€￾ said Gracie. “I think they realized when they were training with my guys today, they were amazed.â€￾

Gracie said the connection started with Lee, who fought on the same Dream 14 card as Nick Diaz in May.

“Nick and Imani, they started working, talking and working technique and then Imani expressed his desire to come up,â€￾ Gracie said.

Batista and Lee tried to contact Diaz for several days after the event, Gracie said, but were unsuccessful. They went to Strikeforce for help reaching Gracie, and the promotion facilitated the connection.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has said he would be interested to see Batista tested in the MMA cage, and is particularly interested in matching him with another WWE alumnus in Bobby Lashley.

Gracie said he can see where promoters would be interested in Batista because he is “very charismatic, very self confident . . . definitely a presence.â€￾

Asked when he thinks Batista would be ready for a pro fight, Gracie said it would depend on who his opponent is.

“You’re talking about a guy who is very powerful, very strong and an extremely hard worker, and if he can put it all together he could be a very formidable force,â€￾ he said. “And he’s at the right camp for that… Our camp is known for bringing people with nothing and making them into something. We like to make champs.â€￾

2. TLC

TLC "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Nothing natural about Batista...

Also, they say he's a hard worker, but a lot of guys in the WWE said that Batista was a premadonna and a bitch to work with, which is why Booker T kicked his ass.

Batista is a joke, even shitty ass Lashley will amount to more. At least Lashley is a stud athlete with a wrestling background. Batista can barely sell a back body drop.

3. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I find it amazing that Hanzy was banned for starting a thread of Batista training MMA yet it's very possible he's gonna sign with SF

4. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    I realize that English is your second language, but don't use it as an excuse to lie. He was banned for the spamming and trolling incidents.

5. Anthony

Motherfucker
    He wasnt banned for making a thread about Batista joining MMA, but he was trolling when he did it. His source was a few posts from different posters on a different forum 3 years ago. :lol: When asked him to prove his statement with something credible, he couldnt. BTW, most of these talks with Strikeforce and Bautista, occurred after Hanzy was banned from this forum.

6. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

If you miss Hanzy in the MMA forum, you can catch his popular MMA thread in the Open Topics section wherein he and LOK have free reign to discuss covering themselves in chocolate and rolling with Brock Lesnar.

Yes, I'm certain we don't need that in here.

7. James68

James68 WBC Champion

To old... to much to learn. His only noise would be a sideshow like kimbo. JMHO.

8. TLC

Kimbo would KO Batista in 1.

9. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

That, and video of Batista training for MMA.

10. Anthony

Motherfucker
    There was no such video, since as you can see Batista just did a MMA trial with the Gracie's for the first time. Its not like they are officially training him yet. He has never trained MMA. He has trained Traditional Martial arts, but not MMA. THe video was of Batista punching a bag and using sticks correct?

11. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager

Yep, I remember the video and told Hanzy that has nothing to do with "training MMA". It looked more like some hy-brid Karate class. I told him also that it looked like a video for a WWE match, you know the kind, backstage with Mean Jean.:lol: Hanz said it was from Thailand, but did not know the school, nor the instructor. :doh:

12. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

It's ridiculous that Coker would even consider brining in Batista.

It looks like Strike Force may be nearing the end. They lose Shields. Fedor loses and probably won't be back after his 3rd and final fight of his contract. Overeem defends the title once in 3 years. And now they're considering Batista. What a joke.

If Batista wants to fight, let him sign up for Dream's next Super Hulk tournament.

TFK

13. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

The worst part of them losing Shields was the way it happened. They had just paid a shit load of money to sign Hendo and they attempted to feed Shields to him in the last fight on his contact. Boy did that backfire big time.

14. TLC

The easiest opponent they can find for Batista in that particular tounament is Bob Sapp. And although he may be a joke, he has YEARS of K1 experince at this point. His best bet would be to sign to fight Gary Goodridge, train nothing but takedowns, and force Goodridge to quit by securing one.

15. Gh77

Gh77 Leap-Amateur

Batista is as natural as Royce was the second time he fought Sakuraba.

16. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I heard Fedor might be looking to extend his contract with SF. And Minowa man would kill Bautista

17. TFK

From what I've heard, Fedor wants an immediate rematch with Werdum, and M-1 has stated that if he doesn't get it, it will negatively effect their chances of Strike Force resigning him.

I just have a feeling that Fedor doesn't like fighting in America, and doesn't like fighting in a cage. I think he'd rather go back to Japan and fight there when his deal with SF expires.

TFK

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    And sign with who?

Dream? There is comp there

19. TFK

He can fight for Dream, Sengoku, I'm sure K-1 would put on some MMA fights if they had Fedor. And it's not like there's nobody for him to fight. He can fight Barnett. He can fight Overeem.

TFK

20. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Natural athlete? That's the best compliment they could give him ? LOL that shows how much he sucks. Cmon guys buddy is 41 years old with no combat background. He's just trying to cash in on his popularity among 12 year old kinds and 35 year old virgins (hanz) He will get killed by any bum out there

21. TFK

Speaking of bums and signings that make you wonder what the hell they were thinking, the UFC just signed Mark Hunt.

??????

TFK

22. TLC

Cro Cop rematch.

23. adamiw

adamiw Undisputed Champion

above everything else, he's too old to get started

24. TFK

The point that's being missed is, Coker said the same exact thing with another Gracie 'student', Jose Canseco, and look what happened there. Canseco is now scheduled to fight some 60 year old man in a boxing match.

I think Coker may just be trying to keep Strike Force in the headlines when he talks about guys like Batista and Canseco.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmajunkie-Strikeforce_boss_on_Canseco

TFK

25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Walker is 45

26. TLC

Walker is awful.

27. Anthony

Motherfucker
    My point is that Batista isnt too old for strikeforce

28. TLC

Thats because Strikeforce continues to make itself a joke of an org. Bellator has more credibility than this POS.

29. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You gonna watch dream Tonight?

30. TLC

Do I breathe oxygen and drink water? :kidcool:

It's tommorow though..