Save Boxing in One Year ...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Double L, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Is there a set of fights that could be made between now and 2011 that could salvage this year? A year that has thus far been one of the worst in 20 years? If so, which fights would you propose? Keep it real!

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Find the fountain of youth and get Tyson to drink from it.

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    And make sure James Douglas, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Danny Williams, Kevin McBride don't get to hear about it.

4. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Nothing is getting made that will happen before december, no. Fights need 4 entire months promotion now.....for some fucking reason.

5. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Has it been a bad year? Floyd fought. Pac fought. Both Klits fought. Titles were defended. Sure the true superfight wasn't made but I'd say this is a standard year for boxing rather than a bad one.

6. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    It's been a poor one. Not as bad as some have made out.

7. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    There's a glimmer of hope, only the problem is that you have to pretend that we go straight from September 30 to November 1 on the calendar.

Once we get through an abysmal October, you have for your stateside viewing pleasure...

Nov 6 - JuanMa/R. Marquez (and also Zab/Mathysse(sp?) on HBO)
    Nov 13 - Pac/Margarito, sponsored by Cheetos
    Nov 20 - Martinez/Williams II
    Nov 27 - JMM/Katsidis and possibly Froch-Abraham
    Dec 11 - Showtime Bantie Mini Tourney, Khan-Maidana on HBO

From an action standpoint, as notable a lineup as any, at least on paper. None are superfights, but I'd honestly have a fight where action is all but guaranteed, rather than two big names who run the risk of stinking out the joint.

As bad as this year has been (and it's been very bad), I'd venture to say that 1998 was worse, and 2006 wasn't really much better, if even at all.

8. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Those are all good looking fights to me. And crammed nicely into the space of two months.

JMM/Katsidis may not be as competitive as we hope. But I've been deprived to the point it looks good.

Williams/Martinez II is a nice surprise.

It's a good point. All is not lost. At least not on paper.

9. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

What's up with Dirrell/Ward? Last I read, Showtime was threatening to sue, but that was about 2 weeks ago, i think.

10. ElTerriblee

ElTerriblee "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Each of the the top four organisation with only ONE CHAMPION. No BS interim titles, regular titles, silver titles, catchweight fights. Believe it or not there is enough quality left in boxing to make for intriguing fights. IF the four sanctioning bodies would actually stick to that, the good fights would happen automatically. No more Angulo and Williams posing as WBO interim champions, while Dzinziruk has no fights. No more Chavez Jr. posing as a WBC silver champion. No more of the four simultanious WBA middleweight champions Sturm, Golovkin, Mundine and N´Jikam.

11. admin

admin has left the building

Maybe boxing will be saved when promoters start actually promoting fights and HBO stops promoting fighters. I bet the average person thinks Oscar De La Hoya is still the welterweight champion.

Cupey

12. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

KO Nation.

13. Damien

Damien Undisputed Champion

Putting fights back on network tv (Fox, NBC, etc) and maybe if Spike TV would pick up a few fights here and there and start showing replays of big fights from the past might help.

14. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Fights aren't the problem, talent is. Many of us having been saying forever that there isn't enough great talent replacing the old. It also doesn't help that the mainstreams love affair with the HW division has nothing to remotely give a crap about up there. The sport isn't going to die off completely but I don't see it getting any healthier than it is.

15. Mitchell Kane

I disagree. I think the fights are a big problem.

16. lb 4 lb

Well they are a problem, but they aren't going to make or break boxing in the long run the way a lack of talent will/is.

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

i don't think it's talent. i think the heavyweight is a special case because of the dominance of the Klitschkos. but the other divisions I think have plenty of talent - the best fighters just don't generally fight each other. it's as simple as that.

18. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Super 6

19. TraZ

TraZ WBC Champion

Home Page:
    hbo is killing boxing

20. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Pac & Floyd Didn't Fight EACH OTHER....That's Easily Boxing's BIGGEST Fight to B Made...Moreso, the Klit's Didn't & WILL NEVER Fight Each Other, Even Though that's Boxing's Biggest HEAVYWEIGHT Fight to B Made...

2010 has Definitely Been a DOWN Year for Boxing...

REED:kidcool:

21. Mitchell Kane

A problem I have with this argument is that it ignores boxing history...which gives numerous examples of boxers (with talent) that only became (well known, well regarded) "talents" after meaningful, substantive fights.

You can take the past 10-15 years of boxing and any number of boxers and ask yourself how would this fighter be regarded if he hadn't fought this fight.

Take the middleweight division, for example, and use Hopkins (pre-Trinidad), Taylor (pre-Hopkins), Pavlik (pre-Taylor), Martinez (pre-Williams/Pavlik).

Take it outside the middleweight division, and look at Andre Ward (pre-Kessler).

Sometimes you have to actually make fights in order to see and recognize talent.

And when those fights don't happen, a lot of times you're left with somebody's guided tour of boxing.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  22. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

A lot of big name fighters only became ppv guys after multiple big fights, as well. Pacquiao, JMM, Holyfield, Lennox, Floyd, Roy...

This is far more common than the dlh/tyson route where you become a ppv guy early in your career and it lasts throughout. I think there are plenty of guys who are early in their careers that could be big ppv draws like the former group.

I can't think of anyone early in their career right now who is captivating the boxing scene like a Tyson or DLH, though. Ward is probably too nice. Gamboa and Rigondeaux are also possibilities, but perhaps not american enough.

23. The Ripper

The Ripper Leap-Amateur

Home Page:
    Here is the latest according to Steve Kim:

"On Monday, after confirming that the rematch between Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez was finally inked, I asked Dan Goossen, who promotes Andre Ward, about the progress of the Dirrell fight. He answered, "Uh…that’s off limits right now, as you can imagine. Let me keep working on it."

That didn’t sound too promising, I have to say.

But on Wednesday, another source close to this fight told me that it’s getting closer and closer to taking place on November 27th, with several venues on hold.

OK, but at this point, seeing is believing."

Hope the fight gets made and we can know who the Super Six finalists are going into next year. November is looking real good :bears:

24. Mitchell Kane

"several venues on hold"?

Hmmm.

25. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

after a round or 2 they are starting to pull out of fighting the best...defeats are not good..

26. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

The only fight that could have salvaged the year would have been May-Pac

sadly I must report that the year is lost

27. lb 4 lb

Either I don't understand that argument or it doesn't make sense. Are you saying Roy Jones and Floyd didn't become talented fighters until they fought certain fights?

A talented fighter is quite simply a fighter with world class talent who is intriguing enough to follow and has you hoping he'll become great. There simply isn't that many guys in the sport right now that fit that discription and I think the 90's was the last time we really had it.

28. Mitchell Kane

You probably don't understand my argument, since I never mentioned Roy Jones or Floyd.

29. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Boxing's fucking rubbish these days. Rubbish boxing's still better than every other sport combined though.:egypt:

30. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    According to rumors Abraham-Froch will be 27th November in Finland. There is a big local card here and it seems nobody else wants that fight so if Froch has the guts, that could happen. To me, that will save the year