Ricardo Mayorga

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Hex-One, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    he should have won by DQ against Spinks

2. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Coming from a big Mayorga fan, all three of those guys would outclass and KO Mayorga.

A prime Mayorga would probably beat THIS CURRENT version of Cotto. Pre-Marg Cotto kicks the living crap out of Ricardo.

The Mayorga who beat Forrest the first time around would be all wrong for Hatton. Hatton would get abused.

3. Kenny

Kenny Scrub

would have love to see a prime mayorga face a prime margarito. He beats Berto easy. Would give Floyd a good scrap style wise but would lose. But P4P the best 24/7 ever.

4. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business

Good point. I would also favor a prime Mayorga to knockout Berto. As for Margarito, that would have been a great fight!

5. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Yeah but Mayorga was past his best weight when Tito beat him and arguably damaged goods after that fight when Oscar and Shane beat him. Shane only JUST beat him also.

I think the Mayorga of the Forrest fights would have given Mosley and Oscar very tough fights.

6. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I told you back then(in 03) then that Mosley would slaughter Mayorga, but being the Mosley hater that you are I remember you saying that Mayorga would give Mosley a beating.

Mayorga was alot fresher in 03, but then again... so was Mosley.

Shane kicks Mayorga's ass 101/100 times.

7. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

There was a window there of two or three years after the Forrest loses where Mosley had no confidence, and essentially stood there, moving his hands in front of his face, fearful of letting them go. This ended when Mosley hired Goosen for the Wright rematch.

I'm not so sure how that Mosley does against a fresher Mayorga. It would have been a fun fight though.

8. Hex-One

None of your business

Agreed! :bears: Mayorga took a savage beating from Tito, @160 which was 2 weight classes above his peak weight. Mayorga was never the same after that fight. Tito threw the kitchen sink at him and still couldnt get him down with head shots.

9. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    No way a prime mayorga beats this version of Cotto. Cotto isnt even shot. He lost two fights. 1 was against a cheater with bricks in his hands and the other was against probably the greatest fighter in the last 20 years.

10. Anthony

Motherfucker
    LMAO The only reason that forrest had trouble with Mayorga was because of Forrest. Because he decided to trade with him and was too macho to stop in the first fight. The second fight, he was still slightly scared, which caused the fight to even be a contest. Had Forrest listened to his corner in the first fight, it would have been an easy fight for him.

11. Destruction and Mayhem

I can't prove it, but I believe that Mayorga's chin was better pre-Tito than it was after. As such Mayorga's wild style, given his chin, would give Shane fits. Shane wasn't a boxer, but a "speedy slick slugger" who fought in spurts, even in his prime. It would be a slugfest and Mayorga would take Shane's punches.

12. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Shane would have pounded mayorga's body like nobody's business. Mayorga has a glass rib.

13. Hex-One

None of your business

That would have been a hell of a fight prime vs prime:bears:

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I think smaller, neater fighters who could roll inside Mayorgas chopping swings would do well for themselves, all other things considered equal.

Somebody like Tszyu might do him. A sharpshooter is the way to beat Mayorga. Pick your spots between the gaps he leaves with his windmill chops.

If Hatton was maybe just a bit more capable at 147, I could see it happening.

I think Quartey would have been perfect foil for Mayorga. Lovely jab and a well timed hook off it would be just the ticket. Vargas absolutely bates on him, you can be sure of that much.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  15. loadedgloves

Mayorga vs Margarito in their respective primes would be something to see (though I guess Margarito's prime ended when he got his magical hand wraps taken away).

Mayorga would get worked like a punching bag against Floyd, but it would be worth it to make the fight just for the 24/7.

16. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Didn't Mayorga lose almost all of his significant fights?

Why is he being elevated? I wonder if it's to do with who his next opponent is?

17. loadedgloves

Fighting a guy with bricks in his hands can ruin a guy forever, and I think it did that in Cotto's case. But I suppose if you want to prop up Pacquiao's cherry-picked win (calling him the "greatest fighter in the last 20 years" kind of gives that away), it makes sense to paint the current version of Cotto as a worldbeater.

Cotto has no confidence in his ability to take a punch anymore, the Mayorga who was in against Six Heads & Forrest would see that.

Don't know if you're referring to me, but I'm not elevating Mayorga personally. It's been years since the guy's efforts in a fight have come even close to living up to his trash talking.

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    What gives you any indication that he doest have confidence in his ability to take a punch? What have you seen that would lead you to that conclusion? There is no evidence whatsoever that you can point to.

19. Destruction and Mayhem

Shot Mayorga may beat this version of Cotto let alone a Prime Mayorga.

20. Hex-One

None of your business

I disagree. Cotto is gonna beat Mayorga to submission. But had this been a prime Mayorga, Cotto would have had a hell of a problem! Only way Ricardo can pull a upset is by knocking Cotto out cold with a "lucky" looping shot. It can happen but unlikely.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

For some reason I just don't have faith in Cotto's resolve. Perhaps it's the Corley fight that's stuck in my mind.

22. Hex-One

None of your business
    Good point. It was the punch towards the back of Cotto's head that had him nearly knocked out. Stewart already talked about the potential problem of Mayorga's wild looping shots. If we are gonna learn anything from this fight is Cotto's punch resistance. Ricardo has a good punch, that's the last thing that would go.

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    LOL what is this version of Cotto? What of his last fight did you see that there is a different version of cotto?

And Mayorga isnt beating no version of Cotto. This isnt vargas we are talking about. Miguel Cotto beats Mayorga today, tomorrow and yesterday. Mayorga is garbage. Only has one significant fighter under his belt. Outboxed by a 2 year layoff Tito. Now fighting one of the most devastating body punchers in the sport? Did you really just make that statement?

24. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You mean the fight where he knocked Corely out and never went down? You make no sense. The corely fight is the very definition of resolve.

25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It was a shot to the temple and it was clean.

26. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    I thought Mayorga was fairly gifted. Anybody who smokes and drinks that much and still has a lot of fight in them is impressive. I wouldn't say he was smart, but he was funny and flamboyant. He's an entertaining personality, but he became inactive and then a stepping stone.

Tito almost took his head off. I think he was genuinely shocked that Tito hit that hard, and even though he tried to play it off, you could see that he was REALLY rattled.

27. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Mayorga beat 6 heads Lewis and Forrest. Vargas fight was a pretty big fight and he won that.

Mayorga isn't great but hes not a bum. Hes had a good career.

28. loadedgloves

Cotto has the problem where he can't really fight moving on the backfoot. He has to stop moving and set his feet to punch. This was never an issue in the past, but against Pacquiao he didn't want any of that; he was in full flight mode for the last couple of rounds before the stoppage.

Cotto's a very skilled fighter; in some ways, he's an ironic opposite of the classic Latino brawler, in that he's never had a problem with beating down slick boxer-movers, but has issues with aggressive guys who come at him.

I don't see Cotto beating any decent, aggressive, come-forward fighter ever again. Roach and Pac didn't either, that's why they cherry-picked him.

And no, Mayorga can no longer be called a 'decent' fighter, that ship has long since sailed (with a heavy cargo of cases of booze and cartons of cigarettes).

29. Anthony

Motherfucker
    So based on his fight with Pacquaio, he cant fight going backwards? You dont think that was a result of Pac's speed that prevented this from happening? Despite all of that, Cotto was still landing on pac. This post really doesnt make any sense. There is not one thing to indicate he isnt confident in his ability to take a punch. He was rocked by Corely and Torres and Margarito and still came out confident against Pac & Foreman.

You say Roach cherry picked cotto. As opposed to who? Who else should have pac have faced besides Cotto?

And Mayorga has admitted that he doesnt even smoke durring training. That it was all bullshit. So i dont know where this all comes into place. I dont Mayorga smokes at all, with the exception of on camera to show off.

That being said, mayorga is slow, and is weak to the body. And Cotto isnt shot. So i dont see how this is even a debate. Some of you guys are sniffing glue.

30. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Six Heads was shit & Vargas was shot to shit. His only good win was against Forrest, who fought a shit fight.