Sumbu Kalambay vs Rodrigo Valdez

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Xplosive, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Arguably the two most underrated middles in history. Classic boxer vs puncher matchup. Who wins?

2. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Valdes wins 8 out of 10 to me... I think part of why kalamby had mike mccallum's number is because McCallum was always cerebral and was trying to figure him out when perhaps a more aggressive approach would have served him better.

Valdes would attack... He hit harder than McCallum and he was a better middleweight... I don't think he gives kalambay any room and he stops him late

3. Xplosive

I'd actually disagree and say the opposite. I think Kalambay outboxes Valdez about 7 outta 10 times. To me, schooling a PRIME McCallum(shutting him out no less) is more impressive than giving an old Monzon a tough fight. Sure, Valdez was a big hitter and could certainly stretch Kalambay if he landed but in the face of Kalambay's elusiveness I think Valdez would plod around the ring and get outboxed for the most part.

BTW - lets not act like Kalambay JUST beat McCallum. He also outboxed Herol Graham, and schooled Collins and Barkley.

4. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Valdes did a hell of a lot more than just fight monzon... I'd favor him over McCallum as well... He was a better middleweight than both

5. Xplosive

I'd take McCallum to beat Valdez CLEARLY. Valdez aint stopping McCallum, and he CERTAINLY wasnt a better techncian. You're overrating Valdez.

6. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Nah....

7. StingerKarl

StingerKarl Ace Degenerate

Many people that were not around, or not old enough to follow boxing in the 70's don't realize what a formidable force Rocky Valdez was.

He was the second best middleweight of the entire 70's decade, and was a hitter that could box and hit to the body extremely well, a very powerful compact fighter but one with a long wingspan and he used that reach to sink a long right hand in.

This would have been a bad ass fight that Mike would have to showcase his boxing skills if he was to win a 15 round decision against a guy that would be on his ass the entire fight, and Mike is a very tall man that can use his height very well.

With both gladiators at their very best; a bloodied and swollen Rodrigo Valdez wins a hard fought decision.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  8. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    McCallum never fought anyone as good at 160 as Valdes, not even close... the one guy that good at 160 he DID fight was Toney and he didnt win that fight either

McCallum had trouble "clearly" beating guys who couldnt carry Valdes' jock

9. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    like you know who Valdes IS

10. Napoles

Napoles Scrub

Kalambay was exceptionally skilled.A master defensive fighter(probably the most underrated slipper of punches of the past 20-30 years) with a piston jab and great counterpunching ability.

His problem was being managed far too slowly with little backing in Italy so he was already in his 30s by the time he won a title and slowing down enough that it was tough to come back after the nunn loss.Got some dubious decisions against him that slowed progress down too.

Valdez was a beast too, but he never liked cuties or movers at any stage in his career.I've got him on tape right in his prime really struggling and getting a debatable decision against the mobile Rudy Robles in a world title fight.When faded he was easy meat for even someone as cautious as Corro.

Not a good matchup for him.

Sweet Pea likes this.
  11. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Undisputed Champion

I'd favor Kalambay to outbox and outmaneuver Valdez to a decision, especially since Valdez has lost several fights in that manner.

12. Xplosive

Yes, Kalambay beats Valdez. Very bad style for him.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

If corro has his way with Valdez, you can bet your arse that Kalambay can.