How Do You Rate Pryor's Win(s) Over Arguello?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by George Crowcroft, Feb 26, 2021.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think given the nature of the fight, the win, the controversy and how you could view Arguello at 140, this is an interesting question.

2. George Crowcroft

For me, Arguello was as good at 140 as he was at 130 and 135. There's no tangible difference between him at any of the three weights apart from that he'd like be facing increasingly larger fighters in hypotheticals as he moved up. Every inch of his body was chiseled and in-shape, his frame was brilliant for adding weight to it. Vs Pryor, he showed his awesome chin, great stamina, brilliant technique, defence, feet and that wealth of experience, as well as a huge heart. At 140, he produced two of his most devastating KOs, proving his power was still there. He beat three champions at the weight, as well. Had he fought Mamby, I have no doubt he'd have won and it'd have been a unfication. He was only thirty years old for the first Pryor fight.

I rate Arguello very highly at the weight, and Pryor absolutely thrashed him. He showed strength, facets of varying skillsets, inhuman stamina, good power and speed, combined with decent footwork and very aggressive combination punching. It's as good a showing as physicality I've ever seen, from one of the frantic pressure fighters I've ever seen. He also showed an amazing chin there too. The problem for me is that black bottle.

I have absolutely no doubt that there was some form of stimulate/steroid in that bottle. Literally no doubt in my mind whatsoever that there was some form of PED in there. My doubts come from whether or not Pryor knew.

I'd reluctantly give it the stamp of a great win. The second being a 'good'.

Panchyprsss likes this.
  3. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed

Also, I think the bottle thing is overrated. I don't know of any PED that could gives you much of an advantage in such short time

4. George Crowcroft

See, I think if Lewis is brave enough to do it on the night, he'd do it throughout his entire camp.

5. Jesus of montreal

That might be the case. But even then, popping roids between rounds would be absolutely useless. Why even take the risk ? I guess Lewis might have been ignorant enough to think it would have an effect though

6. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Does anyone think it was roids? The rumor I always heard was that it was amphtamines, which clearly would've made a difference.

7. Jesus of montreal

Yeah amphetamine would have an immediate impact, but im not sure it would be an advantageous impact

8. Jesus of montreal

Edit: just looked, and yeah seems it can give a small advantage

9. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Undisputed Champion

I disagree - while he still showed big power (vs. Rooney), he looked visibly slower and stiffer with the extra weight IMO.

10. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Undisputed Champion

Luis Resto claimed in the Assault in the Ring docu that Panama mixed his "black bottles" with crushed asthma medication. Of course, Luis is an unscrupulous character and he was paid to provide the interview in that docu, but I'm inclined to believe that part simply because I don't think someone like Luis would have any knowledge of the effects of crushed asthma meds if not for that.

Jel likes this.
  11. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Agreed.

He was certainly older and slower at 140 than he was at his 130 peak, and I've never heard that statement made before.

12. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

I rate his win very highly. Arguello may have been older and not as proven at 140 then at his absolute peak at 130 but he was still a hell of a fighter and he went into that one as the favourite. Pryor's performance was remarkable. I don't think he ever reached that level before or after, but then he never faced another fighter who was that good.

13. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Great analysis and 100% my same thoughts.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Thing Is, Panama Lewis Isn't the Only Trainer to Corner an Aaron Pryor Fight, Yet Pryor's WORK RATE and STAMINA Were a Constant Nonetheless...

REED:Dont:

15. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Leap-Amateur

Great win, although I disagree that Arguello was just as good as he was at 135 and especially 130. I think that’s going too far. But, I prefer it to the ridiculous notion that he was somehow washed up and/or not a puncher at the weight.

Ring Leader likes this.
  16. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    I dont see many 140lbers in history surviving the bombs arguello landed in the first pryor fight

obviously there are guys who couldve and wouldve avoided those right hands, or some who may have gotten him outta there before eating the shots, but how many super lightweights stand up to the shots pryor took and win via KO ?

17. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Agreed.

18. George Crowcroft

Maybe 130 is too far, but I don't think the difference between Arguello at 135 and 140 is big at all. I don't think there is one, other than facing bigger guys.