Benevidez' Oops moment

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Boxingfan25, May 7, 2024.

1. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

FB_IMG_1715042652834.jpg

Did anyone catch that awkward moment between David and Canelo?

David Benavides...ringside, got caught in a case of mistaken identity. Seeing Canelo waving in the ring, Benavides beamed, thinking the champ was calling him over. Cue the smile. But reality check: Canelo was signaling for one of his entourage(Mexican singer Luis R), not Benavides. Cue the awkward face drop.
    It was a funny mix-up, but it also hinted at Benavides' longing to face Canelo, a dream match that might be further than he thinks lmao.

Lesson learned: in boxing, as in life, clarity matters. And sometimes, what we hope for isn't what we get.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I mean of course Benavidez has a longing to fight Canelo. For the glory, and also because it's a massive payday.

He's gotta be mad as Hell that Berlanga, having never proven shit, is getting the fight.

Benavidez won't even get Canelo after the Berlanga fight, because his Excellency has plans to make Canelo vs Crawford in early 2025.

Benavidez needs to accept that his next big fight will either be against Morrell or Bivol.

3. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Fucking berlanga. He'll be ko'd in the 1st round unless canelo carries him. Gonna have to be a stacked undercard for me to buy that one.

4. Xplosive

I know a lot of Puerto Ricans, and not a one of them fucks with Berlanga. They all think he's clown.

5. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

If Canelo cannot KO Berlanga, then he truly should hang em up.

6. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

It's not a bad fight. I know everyone is thinking Edgar Berlanga got more hype than a summer blockbuster. He's overrated from knocking out tomato cans no doubt. But don't count him out just yet. It's Mexico vs Puerto Rico a rilvary as old as time. You best believe both will bring their A game.

7. Xplosive

There's no reason to count Berlanga IN. Here's out of his depth by miles in terms of skill and ability, and given Canelo's chin, he doesn't even have a puncher's chance.

8. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    It's a bad fight

Xplosive likes this.
  9. Xplosive

The only thing I wonder is if Berlanga gets KO'd clean or if he quits like Cintron.

10. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I think the gap in ability and experience is too wide. Berlanga’s chin is also not good. Munguia to his credit takes a good punch, appears to have heart, and some stamina on him, but was just out of his depth as far as skill and talent goes.

Berlanga is even more out of his depth here. But, as you said this will be an event. Mex vs PR, casuals will definitely tune in, Berlanga will probably talk a lot of trash to sell it, etc.

I’m guessing Canelo gets him outta there within 7 rounds. If it’s a prime Canelo, this doesn’t go past 3.

11. ButterbeansDad

ButterbeansDad Leap-Amateur

Agreed. Berlanga is a disappointment.