Ryan Garcia suspended, Haney fight ruled NC

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Flo-Raiden, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Reynoso camp pisses hot again

2. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Its a shame that roids are still illegal in sport. And as you said, if you think that in a sport like boxing, where the difference in purses between the 1st guy and the 25th guy is astronomical, that the top guys arent all on the gear, i have a bridge to sell to you.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. Neil

Great idea. Make steroids legal in combat sports :Jest:

4. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I don't think you know what 'a shame' means.

Neil likes this.
  5. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

So Haney is officially still undefeated lol.

6. Boxingfan25

Are you serious? Everyone knows a little Osterine in Ryan's system didnt win him that fight.

7. Boxingfan25

I love boxing, but let's be honesr...very few boxers have that crossover appeal. Boxing has a passionate fanbase, but it's not like baseball or basketball, where the stars become household names. The sad truth is, the news doesn't really care about a retired boxer's son committing suicide.

8. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Household names in baseball??? Current baseball? Lmao!

Baseball is dying in the US. Tank, Ryan and Canelo are MUCH bigger names in the American mainstream than any current baseball star, outside of maybe Ohtani. And truth be told, a lot of sports casuals only knew of Ohtani after his gambling scandal.

If Ryan and Mike Trout both walked down Times Square together right now, I guarantee you more people are gonna recognize Ryan.

Even ardent baseball fans acknowledge that star power in baseball is at an all time low. And it's only gonna get worse.

There's far more American kids playing soccer now than playing baseball.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 1:00 AM
  9. Boxingfan25

Come on, let's be real. Modern sports fans are more likely to know Judge and Ohtani than some old-timer like Roy. Your obsession with RJJ has truly reached new heights lol.

10. Xplosive

When did I say anything about Roy in that post? I said than Canelo, Tank, and Ryan are bigger mainstream stars than current baseball players. I actually mentioned YOUR hero.

Roy was never a megastar, and I'll be the first to admit it. He wasn't obscure by any means; it's not like he was a total unknown like Ward, he was a star. But he was never a mainstream superstar like Tyson or Oscar.

11. Neil

ohtani is a global star

Boxingfan25 likes this.
  12. Xplosive

No, Messi is a global star. Meaning he could go to literally any nation and get mobbed by fans.

Ohtani is a megastar in Japan, and a mainstream star in the US. If he walked around Germany or Spain they would just say "Who's this big Asian?"

It's not the same.

Azazel likes this.
  13. Xplosive

Ohtani only has VERY SLIGHTLY more Instagram followers than Tank. He has 10 million less than Canelo. 10 fuckin million. And what's hilarious is, Japan has Instagram and has a population of 125 million. Yet Ohtani only has 8 million followers in total...

Global star my ass. Baseball fans will deny till their faces are blue that the sport is declining.

And I AM a baseball fan! It's a great sport. But boxing is actually more popular in the US right now than baseball. In terms of individual star power I mean.

And that's because the young boxers know how to market themselves on social, and more importantly, they have the freedom to do so. Whereas MLB is the only sports league that frowns on individuality.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 1:39 AM
    puerto rock likes this.
  14. Neil

ohtani makes 40 million dollars annually in endorsements

and im not a baseball fan. dont give a fuck about it honestly

15. Jesus of montreal

If it's true that Ohtani is not a big star in the US, its a fucking shame. I dont really care about bb, but wjat hes doing (at least before the injury) was unprecedented

Boxingfan25 likes this.
  16. Xplosive

Ohtani is a star in the US, I didn't say he wasn't, but baseball starpower in the US isn't what it once was.

In the 90s, Griffey Junior was far and away the second most famous American athlete behind Jordan. Those days of baseball stardom are gone.

But yes, Ohtani is all baseball has in terms of a crossover name.

I said that Ohtani wasn't a GLOBAL star, because baseball doesn't translate to every country on Earth.

A global star is Messi or Lebron, or obviously Jordan and Tyson in their primes.

Baseball players can't achieve that level of global appeal.

Overall, I would say that footballers (soccer), basketball stars and boxers are the three sport categories that truly produce GLOBAL stars.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 4:37 AM
  17. Jesus of montreal

Not so sure about basketball to be honest, but that might me my habitus as they say (except for james of course, but hes on his way out)

18. Boxingfan25

Nice post. I agree with your point about how boxing and soccer can produce global stars compared to baseball. Messi is known worldwide because soccer is the most popular sport globally, played and followed in nearly every country. Not even a fair comparison lol. About the 90s I remember trading my Don Russ Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card for a Jose Canseco rookie card with a friend then regretting it later. Griffey was the most famous star in the 90s, but I'd say Bo Jackson had a broader appeal after the All-Star game in the late 80s with all his 'Bo Knows' commercials. To this day I dont know of any other athlete has played both sports at the same time?

Xplosive likes this.
  19. Xplosive

Deion played both sports, to answer your last question. Since Bo and Deion, it hasn't been done again.

But yeah, my only point is that baseball stars, on average, are no longer popular athletes in the US.

Canelo is a bigger GLOBAL star than Ohtani. You know I dislike Canelo, but those are facts. Boxing awareness touches more nations than baseball awareness. And Canelo having 10 million more followers on social says a lot.

And outside of Ohtani, Ry and Tank are bigger mainstream names in America than any other current baseball player.

Mookie Betts for example. Fantastic player, the last great BLACK baseball player - and nobody knows who that brother is outside of LA.

Boxingfan25 and Azazel like this.
  20. Neil

Brian Jordan played nfl and mlb

Xplosive likes this.
  21. Xplosive

Ohhh shit! I remember Brian Jordan! That's a name I haven't heard in forever.

22. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

23. Jesus of montreal

Not that i disagreed with you, but the commission does. If i was the bookie that lost the bet against him, id sue the shit out of him. But to he honest, im pretty sure its only garcia spewing some bullshit

George Crowcroft and Boxingfan25 like this.
  24. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Steroids are an issue with no obvious fix. The problem isn't even really the steroids themselves, it's the money.

If you keep it how it is, the fighters with the most money behind them get the best steroids and get away with using them. If you make it so that everyone can use steroids, the guy with the most money gets the best steroids and keeps using them. If you give everyone the same amount of steroids, the guy with the most money just does what they're doing now and used the best steroids.

The only real way of fixing it IMO is to have a guy in charge who doesn't give a fuck about money and just starts handing it out 5+ year bans for it. But a guy like that is rare, and it's even rarer they'd be in charge.

Double L likes this.
  25. Boxingfan25

Micheal Jordan played baseball was it AAA?

26. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Not just the best roids, but the best teams of people tp help avoid detection. A lot of guys surely were using the same gear others did, difference is only some get caught.

27. George Crowcroft

Yeah, that's the kinda thing I meant. Not just teams helping you get away with it, but synthetic stuff that isn't tested for. If you really wanted to get into the conspiracy side of things, you could even say that the ones with the most money could leak other fighters when they're 'misbehaving'.

28. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Oi, Xplosive, test George's piss.

Something isn't right.

Azazel and George Crowcroft like this.
  29. George Crowcroft

The doctors knew something was up when the cup melted.

30. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Switch ''steroids'' for ''PED'' and you hit it right on target. I don't want sports (and especially boxing) to become like F1 where $$$ and the support team is more important than the ''athlete'' itself in deciding who wins but unfortunately it's becoming more and more similar, and as you pointed out, there's no easy solution unfortunately.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 4:41 AM