RIP Richie Sandoval

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Flo-Raiden, Jul 23, 2024.

1. Flo-Raiden

Flo-Raiden Undisputed Champion

A good fighter known for beating and retiring Jeff Chandler. He a lot of potential in the 80s but his career was cut short after having troubles making weight, forced to drain 12 pounds in 3 days, and then getting knocked out by Gaby Canizales that resulted in brain injury that almost killed him but survived through surgery.

He had a nice boxing style and has been in some good fights during his short career. RIP Champ

R.I.P Richie Sandoval – The Former WBA Bantamweight Champ Passes At Age 63 - Latest Boxing News

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED's 2nd Favorite 1980 US Olympian Behind ONLY Donald Curry...R.I.P. Richie Sandoval...

REED:emoji_pray::Fights:

3. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    You old, reed

REEDsART likes this.
  4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

RIP champ. I always enjoy watching his beatdown of Chandler. Excellent performance. He could fight when he was in shape.

Flo-Raiden likes this.
  5. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

BTW- his fight with Cardencio Ulloa was a nice war, and it's on my page if anyone wants to watch it on YouTube. Sandoval got off the deck to win that one. Ulloa was a dangerous puncher.

George Crowcroft and Flo-Raiden like this.
  6. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED Was a CHILD in 1980 Bruh...Not Even Double Digits Yet...

REEDMFBMFWMFB

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
  7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Haven't Seen Sandoval vs. Chandler Since the Day it Happened...Will Definitely Re-Watch Before the Week is Up...

REED:Fights:

Xplosive likes this.
  8. Greynotsoold

Greynotsoold WBC Champion

Richard was a part of my boxing life, from age 9 when I first stepped into a gym and saw the Sandoval brothers and Albert Davila. When you go to a gym and guys are winning the National AAU tournament- Davila in 75 I think it was- headlining the Olympic Auditorium like Superfly did, or making the Olympics like Richard did, it makes you feel special yourself. When Richard won the world title, they had him sitting just inside the main entrance to the Indian Hill Mall in Pomona, sitting there with the championship belt. He would sign autographs and women would bring him food. He had those non title fights at 130, if memory serves, and he probably should have vacated his title at 118 but he was a local hero...
    In the late 80s I would often watch the fights at a Mexican restaurant on Holt, in Ontario, that I wish I could remember the name of . I only recall seeing Richard there once. Several times I sat with his father and brother. Last time I was in Pomona, I heard that Superfly has a bad drug problem and lives on the street in the Cherrieville neighborhood, just a few blocks from where the gym was in the 70s; that building has been an architect office for year now. Now Richard dies...

Azazel likes this.