Eddie Murphy vs bill murray

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Hut*Hut, Apr 1, 2016.

?

Better?

1. Bill MURRAY!!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Eddie MURPHY!!!

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I agree with everything you said except the part that Martin was a better standup comedian. Martin only has one stand up show and it isn't even good. Unless you're going to count the short segments he gave on that HBO comedy show he used to host. I definitely give Martin the edge as a comedian over Hart but Hart's early standup shows were actually funny to me and Martin's wasn't. Martin also has a lot more range whereas Hart's whole shtick basically boils down to self degradation and being an over the top moron.

I think Chris Tucker and Martin Lawrence are two of the most overrated standup comedians as both are big name comedians who never made a decent standup show they can fall back on. I think Chris Tucker just put out one recently and it straight sucks. I actually think DL Hugley's part in the Kings of Comedy was better than both of their entire shows put together as once again, Hughley actually made me laugh.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Let's just agree that Hart, Lawrence, and Tucker are all overrated. I simply rate Martin above the other two ONLY because of his show.

Regarding Kings of Comedy, make no mistake - Bernie Mac WAS that movie! Steve Harvey, and Cedric were terrible, as they usually are. DL did an alright job. But Bernie carried that entire show, and was better than the other three combined.

Steve Harvey and Cedric "Kings of Comedy" my ass! More like Kings of Corny.

3. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Kevin Hart can be funny, he just isn't most of the time anymore. I thought his early stand-up was great, but I think he suffers from insecurity and thinks he has to cash on every fucking thing that comes his way before the money goes away on him. He's turned into The Dane Cook of black comedians...only difference is Kevin Hart movies actually make money, so he gets to keep on doing them.

Martin was a horrible stand-up, but a good comic actor.

For a short period Damon Wayans had one of the best stand-up acts around, and he was still decent when he came out of the woodwork every 10 years or so to do a special.

Mike Epps is fuckin' horrible, but a halfway decent comic actor. Katt Williams is just fuckin' horrible all around. Never understood how that guy got popular.

Bernie Mac and Patrice O'Neal were two of the best stand-ups ever. Bernie was to the "Kings Of Comedy" tour what Ron White was to the "Blue Collar" tour. The only one worth a shit of the bunch.

4. Xplosive

Katt Williams life is currently falling apart. But when he isn't high as a fucking kite and losing his mind, he's a good stand-up comedian. Much funnier than Hart and Mike Epps.

Bernie Mac was funny as Hell as a stand-up, but as far as Chi-town comics go, I think Robin Harris was even funnier.

5. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Shit, forgot about Jerrod Carmichael. He's an excellent young stand-up. He has a weird subversive, seemingly politically incorrect sensibility. He's kind of a younger, blacker version of Louis C.K., if that makes any sense. :lol:

6. Xplosive

Never heard of him. I'll look up his material.

But back to your earlier post, yes, Patrice O'Neal was fucking hilarious. One minute of Patrice O'Neal is funnier than Kevin Hart's entire career.

7. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

I haven't listened to half of these stand ups you guys speak of. I guess I'm not big into stand up routines. Since Eddie Murphy the only guy I found genuinely original AND funny is Dave Chappell. Chris Rock has his moments too. Most of the other mothefuckers seem to be trying to be Edsie or else are just annoying.

8. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Richard Pryor: you left us too soon! :pray:

9. Xplosive

I think Rock's best material is better than Chappelle's, to be quite honest.

"Killin Em Softly" by Chappelle is a classic stand-up, but I think Rock's "Bring The Pain" was better. Thing is, other than Killin Em Softly the rest of Chappelle's stand-ups are kinda meehhhh. Whereas Rock followed up with "Bigger & Blacker" which is ALSO a stand-up classic.

Therefore, I think Rock has an edge on Dave as a stand-up comedian.

I saw Chris Rock live at the Stress Factory in Jersey 2 years ago - April 2014 to be exact. VERY small and condensed comedy club. Sat literally two rows away from him.

He truly lived up to all his hype in person.

Chris Rock is in my humble opinion the best stand-up since Eddie.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  10. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Harlem nights was a Murphy flick that I enjoyed that never gets mentioned, in this topic either

That along with Trading places, coming to America, raw, delirious, bh cop, 48 hours, life, boomerang, nutty professor, etc shit on murrays resume

Best current stand up comedians; Louis ck, bill burr, Corey holcombe, Jim Jeffries

11. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

i think I agree. Rock at his best is a tad better than Chappelle. Chappelle cracks me up my consistently though.

12. TraZ

TraZ WBC Champion

Home Page:
    All of those movies suck

13. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I used to go to the Stress Factory all the time years ago, but I haven't been there in probably more than 10 years. Always liked the place, and the food was always decent.

The Stress Factory is small, but it's big compared to some of the comedy clubs I've been to in NYC.

TFK

14. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Murphy has 3 movies that are probably in the top 20 movies of the 80s
    that's pretty good eh

15. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    Eddie Murray

First baseman for the Baltimore Orioles in the 80s.

Or the place kicker for the Detroit Lions in the 80s.

Take your pick.