Naoya Inoue vs TJ Doheny

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Flo-Raiden, Jul 16, 2024.

1. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Leave NO Stones Unturned, ie., Face MJ Akhmadaliev Before Moving Up to '26...Rule '26 w/the SAME Iron, Undisputed Fist(s)...This is @ a Bare MINIMUM to Enter the Realm of GOAT Discussion...

Inoue @ 130 Borders On IMPROBABLE...But if he Could Claim a Title There and Entice a Tank/Loma BIG Name to Meet @ a Catchweight (& Come Out VICTORIOUS), Inoue Would Be FIRMLY In the GOAT Discussion Then...

REED:Fights:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2024
  2. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Honestly, Inoue is so far off even sniffing GOAT status it's not even worth talking about it imo. More akin to a pipe dream than something in the realm of possibilities. Especially considering he' s already 31 who's best years may very well be behind him.

People like to bitch and moan about Canelo but he's way ahead of Inoue on this race (and no, he won't be even close to making it either). But yeah, cleaning up 126 and 130, then winning a mega fight vs Tank or Shakur (if he establish himself as a legit p4per) at a catchweight would open up the discussions.

It won't happen though

3. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
  4. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Yep, boxing history is so long and rich, that you need much more than clean up a few divisions and beat a few mediocre to middling opponents (historically speaking) to have a case to be called the goat.

Comparing era is hard, but even then, the resume of Charles is so much deeper and better than inoue one, that even the slightest attempt at putting the latter ahead of the former on an atg list is risible at best. Hell, even though I despise the coward, Calzaghe is far ahead of Inoue at the moment, and nobody with half a brain would put the guy in the Goat discussion.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. Neil

Yea agreed. I'm leery of ranking inoue above the greats like walker smiff , ezzard charles or calzaghe. Show me more

Was that the question, if he's the greatest boxer of all time? :Jest:

6. Neil

Greatest boxer of all time? Is that what you think is on the table? He could ko Crawford at 154, would that do it? Usyk?

7. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

If he were to do something truly special like moving up and beating Tank or something like that, you could make a real case for him being the second best Asian boxer ever. Don't see any way he could surpass Pacquiao at #1 though.

8. Neil

How about if lomachenko whipped davis at LW then inoue kod him at 130?

9. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I dont think he needs to beat an atg. Maybe just all the top guys in his division?

10. Jesus of montreal

What?? You think he can be in the GOAT discussion without even beating a single ATG :eek:

Rethinking about it, even if he was to beat one ATG, he doesnteven comes close to sniffing GOAT discussion level. He needs at least 3

Azazel likes this.
  11. Azazel

Inoue is undoubtedly a great. But as Floyd would say (lol), there's levels to this shit and if he wants to be considered amongst the truly special, yes he needs to beat a fellow ATG in his prime. For GOAT status, he needs more than a couple or an otherworldly one such as Tank at 135

12. Azazel

The forum's idiot spewing his usual ''wisdom'' :Jest:

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Manny is Undeniably GREATER, More Accomplished and Always Will Be...Inoue AIN'T Moving Up 8 Weights, or Whatever it was Manny Did:duck:

But REED Thinks Inoue's the BETTER Fighter, All Things Considered...

14. Jesus of montreal

I really dont see it. The manny that destroyed Barrera and Morales (and nearly blitzed JMM in a round), was a few galaxy better than Inoue imo

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
  15. Double L

Double L Book Reader

If pac faced the comp inoue has, he'd be every bit as dominant and have all the super hero appeal that so many fall for.

Jesus of montreal likes this.
  16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

That's 1 Way of Looking @ It...

Looking @ their COMPLETE Bodies of Work, NO Version of Inoue Loses to Boonsai Sangsurat and Rustico Torrecampo, Both of Whom KO'ed Pac in Less than 3 Rounds @ Flyweight, Either:Dont:...

Admittedly, Inoue Will Never Match Manny's HIGHS, But There's an even More Sizable Gap in their LOWS, in REED's Opinion...Can't Cherrypick the HIGHS While Ignoring the LOWS...Inoue's "Lows" are Donaire I, Paul Butler or TJ Yesterday, by Comparison....

You Mentioned Marquez....After Round 1 of Fight 1, Manny CLEARLY Got the Worst of the IV Fight Series, Including Getting KO'ed...By a Man HIS Size...

17. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

disagREED...

18. Jesus of montreal

How old was pacquiao in these 2 fights?? Was he even able to buy alcool in the USA? Just looked and he was 17 and 20. I just don't see how you can use this against him, he was still a child at the time, and clearly not in his prime.

And if Inoue faced the same caliber of fighter than Pac has, i'm pretty sure he would have much worse low

19. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Sooooo we CREDIT Pacquaio for Winning World Titles as LOW as Flyweight, Yet We Have to IGNORE the Fact He was KO'ed Twice @ Flyweight, Simultaneously???:Dont:...

Like REED Said, You're Conveniently Focusing on the HIGHS Only...REED's Looking @ the FULL Body of Both Men's Work...Inoue Couldn't Have Been MORE Dominant in the 4 Weight Classes he Campaigned In, Thus Faaaaaaaaar...We'll See What Happens @ '126, But There's NO Comparison in the Careers of Inoue and Pacquiao from 122 On Down...

REED Doesn't See How You COULDN'T Use 2 KO Losses @ the Same Weight a World Title was WON, Against Pacquiao...

REED:Dont:

20. Jesus of montreal

Id say pac prime was probably at 126. That version of pac was much better than any version of inoue, imo of course. For me, claiming that fighter A is better than fighter B means that prime for prime, fighter A is better than fighter B, whatever happened before they hit their prime being pretty much irrelevant.

For example, wpuld you claim Tszyu was better than Cervantes, since Cervantes was pretty much a bum for the first 5 years of his career? I certainly wouldnt.

21. Neil

Pacquiaos 3 year peak was from when he destroyed delahoya up until he beat mosley. Not when he was losing to morales and drawing with marquez
    If you want to claim his accomplishments are the reason he's better than inoue

22. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I think the Pac who destroyed Morales in the rubber match was very much at the peak of his powers.

Double L likes this.
  23. Xplosive

I would side with JOM that Pac is a better fighter than Inoue, though I can see where REED is coming from.. I think there's plenty of guys whom Pac is greater than who were better fighters than him. M.Spinks and Monzon, as two examples. Roy is another example. Far better fighter than Manny, despite not being as great.

Regarding Inoue, it's a shame that there's no Gomez, Fenech, Morales, or Barrera around 122 today so that we can know his true worth.

He's certainly a great fighter though and easily first ballot HOF.

REEDsART and Azazel like this.
  24. Neil

why them and not the litany of flyweights/bantamweights you guys are always discussing in mythical matchups?

this is inoue's fourth weight class

25. Azazel

For me, debating wether Inoue is a better fighter than Pac is, once again, pretty much fruitless as they are way still too many unknowns regarding his true potential.

His best wins are against a still dangerous, but definitely over the hill, Donaire and the rest of his resume is pretty much average. Yes it was impressive how he moved up on weight and outclassed a decent champion like Fulton. But Pac did it even more impressively against future hall of famers (Hatton, Cotto and even an over the hill ODH was a much better opponent than Fulton).

Hamed was outclassing the B+/A- guys quite easily too (true not as impressively as Inoue) and no one expected him to look so inept against an A level opponent

26. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

27. Xplosive

I think it'd be interesting to see how Inoue would do against a Jofre, Olivares, or Zarate at 118, for sure.

I could see Inoue beating a Zarate or Olivares, as neither had an iron chin. Plus, Olivares blew hot and cold.

In Jofre, we're talking about truly one of the best fighters to ever live. I don't think Inoue wins against the early 60s Jofre.

28. Jesus of montreal

A bit off topic, but Id say Pac was better than Monzon by a fair margin. Maybe it's me overrating cotto, but his destruction is a very underrated performance imo.

29. Neil

pacquiao's great victory over a 145lb cotto who immediately moved up to 154lbs afterward.

30. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I think Roy is greater than Manny and a better fighter. Manny had better longevity, though.