Ryan Garcia suspended, Haney fight ruled NC

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Flo-Raiden, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Devin's finished.

2. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I remember that Ruiz sued Toney after he tested positive in their fight. Don't recall how it turned out though...

3. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Devin has just made the worst possible PR decisions anyone could make after a fight. Even worse than Shakur Stevenson.

Irish likes this.
  4. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Welcome to the "Disputative" Devin Haney era

Irish and Xplosive like this.
  5. Xplosive

Devin Blamey

puerto rock and Irish like this.
  6. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

“…the Fighting by Garcia was Non-Consensual”…

REED:eek:

7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    The non consensual thing makes sense but how they phrase it doesn't.

The concept is simple:- Haney never consented to being hit by somebody who has taken proscribed substances.

No different than had they found plaster of Paris in Cheatos gloves post-Cotto. Team Cotton would simply say " we never consented to that".

It has legs, legally.

Where it will probably fall down is on the question of proof and a judge might reasonably conclude that people taking performance enhancers is simply an acceptable risk germane to the sport which you are implied to have consented to.

Again, as an outright legal concept, it is applicable to the circumstances.

But from a boxing POV, it's just plain dumb.

Take the fucking hit and use it to squeeze a deal out of the guilty parties.

Oscars a mug but his lawyers ain't.

puerto rock likes this.
  8. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Can't say I disagree with Haney. Im of the opinion that PED should be legal in sports, but they are actually prohibited. Haney reputation and standing in the sport has decreased tremendously since his ''loss'' (even though it was overtuned) to garcia who was caught deliberately cheating.

winner by choke and Azazel like this.
  9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

10. winner by choke

winner by choke Undisputed Champion

The only thing I actually hate about stuff like this, is the very high likelihood that Devin Haney uses PEDs as well.

Unless you think naturally and without diuretics/iv it is possible to gain 25 LBS in one day and still have energy to fight and compete lol.

Maybe not same thing as anabolic steroids, but banned cheating nonetheless that he is getting away with.

11. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Bullshit. Haney is a SNAC athlete, victor conte would never cheat

Xplosive likes this.
  12. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

I have to disagree with that. Legalizing PEDs in sports would only create more problems. It would force athletes to use dangerous substances just to stay competitive and it could seriously damage the integrity of boxing. The rules are there for a reason to protect the health of fighters and keep things fair.

As for Haney he comes off looking weak in the public’s eye. The fact that he's willing to sue after every controversy could scare future opponents from wanting to fight him which hurts his marketability. People want to see champions who win definitively in the ring not ones involved in legal battles outside of it. At the end of the day everyone loves a winner not a sore loser. People wont forget that ass whooping no matter what his stupid record says.

puerto rock likes this.
  13. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    That's all true......but .......

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    This, pretty much. Nobody is saying that Haney wasn't robbed or made a fool of. The issue is how does he fix that?

Do what Cotto did. Let Ryan take a beating off somebody else, let Ryan lose his money, then arrange a rematch at a time and a place that suits you, then when Ryan is being tested every ten minutes, losing his mind on social media, get him in the ring and beat him.

It is what it is. It's not nice but there's only one way of dealing with it. Just like Norris and Cotto, fight the guy again and get it right.

This isn't like Gamache suing over the scales. Gamache couldn't fight again ever. So his options were limited.

Boxingfan25 likes this.
  15. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Adding a substantial financial penalty for getting caught cheating post-victory will help prevent future cheating.

There may be some kinds of cheating that don't require such draconian punishment, but PED use does.

16. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I think it will just encourage guys to spend the extra $$$ to not get caught .....

17. Xplosive

“Softest SH*T I’ve ever seen in my life. This is Charmin soft! Take your butt whooping like a man. I don’t condone steroid usage. However…he (Devin Haney) signed the contract, got that extra money for that extra weight and got the 0 back on his record… WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?! Now you sue Ryan for battery? It’s a boxing match! You still gotta keep that right hand at home, you didn’t do that! You fought the wrong game plan!” - Bradley.

I agree with Timmy the head

18. Jesus of montreal

I think that you guys are way off. If you dont think the steroids made much of a difference, then why the fuck are they banned? If younthink they made a difference, then Haney is absolutely right to sue Garcia, cause his reputation did take a big hit

19. Xplosive

His reputation is taking the biggest hit by doing this shit. That's objectively true.

Of course, the internet was clowning him in the immediate aftermath of the loss, but that's par for the course. That clowning wears off after a few weeks. Now, he's ruined his reputation permanently with fans.

Had he just manned up, and been like: "Yeah, Ryan is a cheater, but there's also things that I did wrong, and I have to get better," then his reputation would fine. People would still respect him.

These legal proceedings have killed his reputation with boxing fans. In the eyes of most, he now looks like a whiney bitch.

I'm with Bradley. You got your 0 back, now move the fuck on. Get in the gym and fix your flaws. Cause Ryan being juiced has NADA to do with all the holes in Haney's game.

20. Double L

Double L Book Reader

To me, the law suit suggests Haney knows he's hit a wall.

21. Jesus of montreal

I don't believe that for a second. Most mainstream fans probably dont even know about this lawsuit, but probably rebember well him getting dropped hard by garcia.

For me, this is a pretty good reflection of the hypocrisy of fans when it comes to ped. Bitch continuously about it, but when someone try to make the ped user pay some real consequences, now hes the bitch.

Seems to me that all you are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

Same thing happened on the aftermath pf toney ruiz a lot of fans were acting like toney ped usage was irrelevant, since he was so much better than ruiz

22. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Haney looking for a rematch in court instead of the ring is what makes him look like a bitch. Especially given that he's also 'probably' on drugs as well.

I do like when drug cheats get ramifications, but it should be from a committee or a governing body, not another fighter imo. Plus, like Bradley said, he already got his 0 back, already got the extra money and still agreed to fight. Going to court instead of looking for a rematch is pussy shit.

Xplosive likes this.
  23. Jesus of montreal

Again, i dont understand this take. Haney lost a shit load of money and reputation cause of the garcia fight. He's well within his rights to sue Garcia for a compensation. And he got extra money cause garcia was overweight, not because he knew garcia was on ped.

As for having a rematch, im all for it, but both aren't mutually exclusive. And anyway, aint garcia suspended for a fuckload of time??

24. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I disagree, fighting someone when you don't know if they're on drugs is exactly the kind of risk a boxer is aware of when stepping in the ring. It isn't even the biggest risk. Haney chose to take that risk - and has already had the result overturned.

What does Garcia have to compensate him for? Beating him? Garcia should have consequences to face, but paying Haney shouldn't be one of them. Any fight has the risk of losing you money and reputation, that's just boxing. Garcia's punishment should come in the form of a ban, or a fine imo, from which ever committee has jurisdiction to do so.

Also, I might be showing my age, but is there precedent for a fighter suing another over a drugs test? I've never heard of anything like it before.