Ryan Garcia suspended, Haney fight ruled NC

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Flo-Raiden, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

In the end he still got Clap Back Thursday'd.

2. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

My point is yeah PEDs can give you an edge... but they don't replace skill, heart, or strategy in the ring. You still need to know how to fight. I brought up Fernando Vargas as an example because even with PEDs he lost to De La Hoya. That proves PEDs aren't the be all and end all. If it was as simple as taking steroids to become a world champ we'd all be out there buying them and winning titles, right? Obviously I'm being sarcastic but that's the point... PEDS aren't magic.

And I know where you're angling with this trying to make the case to legalize PEDs. But it’s not just about giving someone an edge or a chance of losing. The main reason PEDs are illegal is that aside from the competitive edge they’re dangerous substances. There are serious side effect...just like why some medicines get banned because they're harmful. Steroids are illegal for a reason.

3. winner by choke

winner by choke Undisputed Champion

PEDs are pretty close to magic. The majority of top fighters and I mean overwhelming majority are on PEDs.

EPO, diuretics to lose weight, steroids and growth hormone for strength and recovery.

Obviously there is a ton of skill in boxing so it isn't the be all end all. But alot of times all other things near equal... more stamina, more strength can be the difference maker. Benavidez looks all world at 168, fights a guy naturally bigger and stronger and looks alot more pedestrian.

Go workout for 5 years and be stuck at 250 lbs bench, than hop on a few cycles and lift 365. Run 3-5 miles a day for years with your best time being 7 minute miles, than take EPO for 2 months and run 6 minute miles. Attempt to get lean naturally and see that stubborn belly fat never go away, then get fat burning PEDs (or better yet drugs that allow you to maintain strength and energy levels while dieting) and see that 6 pack.

The drugs work, the make you way stronger more aggressive, increase your vitality, increase your stamina.

Obviously that doesn't make you a great boxer, but if you fought yourself on steroids you would never win.

And steroids are largely illegal for political reasons. Side effects are definitely overstated generally speaking. Taking them without bloodwork and outside of recommended usage is dumb and common, but alot of the information they were working with when they made them schedule 1 is outdated nonsense.