What fighters from the past ...

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by whiskey, Sep 27, 2006.

1. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Bruce was the greatest fighter in history to this point and for the rest of the history of the world most likely

2. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    good exerpt on kimura bout with helio gracie from wiki

In 1951, Kimura, then retired from judo competition and 34 years old, participated in a match in which he defeated Hélio Gracie (38 years old,170cm and 66 kg) of the famous Gracie Jiu Jitsu family in a submission judo match held in Brazil. During the fight, Kimura threw Gracie repeatedly with ippon-seoinage (one arm shoulder throw), osotogari (major outer sweep), and haraigoshi (sweeping hip throw). Kimura reportedly threw Gracie repeatedly in an effort to knock him unconscious. However, the floor of the fighting area was apparently too soft to allow this to happen. Kimura also inflicted painful, suffocating grappling techniques on Gracie such as kuzure-kamishiho-gatame (modified upper four corner hold), kesa-gatame (scarf hold), and sankaku-gatame (triangle choke). Finally, thirteen minutes into the bout, Kimura positioned himself to apply a reverse ude-garami (arm entanglement, a shoulderlock). Gracie refused to submit, even after his arm broke, forcing Kimura to continue the lock on Gracie's broken arm. At this point, Carlos Gracie, Helio's older brother, threw in the towel to end the match to protect his brother's health. In 1994, Helio admitted in an interview that he had in fact been choked unconscious earlier in the match, but had revived and continued fighting.
    As a tribute to Kimura's victory, the reverse ude-garami technique has since been commonly referred to as the Kimura lock, or simply the Kimura, in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and, more recently, mixed martial arts circles.

3. LOK

bruce would submit Kimura and then pull his pants down and put it in his butt slow and dry

4. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    I'd take Catch Wrestling very seriously. Bruce used to train with guys like Gene Lebell occasionally ( a well-known Judo and grappling practitioner), and Gene could keep him down. Gene used to sit on Bruce's chest and smile at him when Bruce would try to get up if I recall correctly. Even now, Gene's a tough dude. He choked Seagal out a few years back.

5. LOK

many people dont know Bruce also trained with Catch as Catch can master and legend, Karl Gotch

6. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    catch as catch can = catch wrestling

7. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Buddy my facts match fine Cheung says 15-20 minutes while Jack Man claims 25 mintues and Bruce claims 3 minutes so NOBODY knows how long it lasted and thats a fact.

With Elms there was no need to say Bruce got knocked down because the outcome of the fight had Bruce the winner. I didn't try to do a fucking round by round of the fight. Elms was the reigning champion so him knocking Bruce(who was a newie) down was no big deal.

Prove Oyama killed 52 bulls and most of them with a single blow:loveballs: If it was on TV then surely there is footage of such feats(that should be World Book of Records worthy if you ask me). Prove he killed the guy with the knife with one blow fetch the police report surely there was one wrote up about the ordeal.

Kyokushin karate is based alot on Muay Thai alot of the moves Oyama took from Muay Thai so big deal he knocked out a Thai boxer he deserves a cookie.

8. MCC

MCC Scrub

When it was printed in Black Belt magazine, Cheung said that Bruce was "lying, and at no point in the fight did he beat Wong into a state of demoralization" then he added that "it lasted at least 15-20 minutes, and ended in a draw. there was no clear winner"

Then you got Wong saying it was a draw and that he would publically fight Lee in a rematch. But Lee pounded him out in 3 minutes?? Bruce wouldn't even mention Wong's name in the article he just said "Some kung-fu cat in San Francisco"

If a 135 LBS "champion" who never fought professionally dropped Bruce with one punch, why couldn't a 200 LBS legitimate fighter knock him down and out?

It is a big deal Oyama knocked out a champion thaiboxer, you know why?

Because no pro boxer, or martial artist had done it on thai soil. For over a year Mas was on American T.V. demonstrating kyokushin karate against boxers, wrestlers, martial artists.

Add that to the fact that he trained Andy Hug to become K1 champion, and created the most successful system of karate to date (Due largely to the fact that kyokushin spars full contact)

You do realize that is how Oyama became famous in Japan right? Killing bulls and sitting under freezing temperature waterfalls. It is a FACT that he killed bulls, and a FACT that he was gored by one. These aren't stories that a random guy attacked him on a rooftop with noone looking.

Mas Oyama- founder of kyokushin karate, 4th degree blackbelt in shotokan karate, 4th degree blackbelt in judo,knocked out top thai fighters,220 LBS under ten percent body fat in his prime. Notable Students: Andy Hug(former K1 champion), Bas Rutten(former king of PANCRASE, and UFC heavyweight champion).

Bruce Lee- founder of jeet-kune-do, Cha Cha dance champion, Got embarassed by Gene LeBell in a grappling match, Lied about a draw with Wong Jack Man, extremely fast and agile, very strong for his size. Notable Students: Joe Lewis (who claimed he could beat Bruce Lee), Chuck Norris, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?

So how can you call Oyama a fraud, and Lee the greatest thing since sliced bread again?

9. 20yearoldvirgin

20yearoldvirgin WBC Champion

:rolleyes:

10. LOK

:jester:

Thanks 4cocks, was that for anyone that didn't know?

lol

"didn't = Did Not" :holla:

11. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

PROVE IT It should be and easy task for you to do since it was on American TV.

Where o' where did I say in this thread Oyama is/was a fraud? Thank you I didn't think so. Oyama was a Grandmaster and he deserves respect just for that so I would never call him a "fraud" as you claim I have done.

Do I believe he fought and killed full grown bulls with one punch?

FUCK NOOOOOOOO

Just keep to hateing on Bruce and stop putting words in peoples mouth.
    And I hope you know why Bruce didn't say Jack Mans name in that interview.
    It was because BOTH agreed they would not go public with the fight between the two and after Bruce done the interview Flap Jack went public about the fight even though Bruce NEVER mentioned his name like they agreed.

P.S. Bruce fucked him up now cry me a river:wavegoodbye:

12. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

BULLSHIT That has never came out of Joe Lewis' mouth but here is some shit that did.
    ........................................................................................................

Bruce Lee's feats

Bruce Lee's two finger push ups

Bruce Lee's striking speed from 60cm (24 inches) away was five hundredths of a second. (Glover[12])

Bruce did one-hand push ups using only 2 fingers.

Bruce was able to break a 70 kg (154 lbs) bag with a sidekick. (Coburn[12])

Bruce would ride for 45 minutes (16 Kilometres) (10 miles) on a stationary bike, sweating profusely afterwards. (Uhera [12])

Bruce's famous "One Inch Punch" was able to knock back and off balance a 200lb man into a chair, using only 1 inch of striking distance. The target stands with their feet squared and is unable to turn to a sideways stance because of the chair being in the way, thus being knocked off balance.

Bruce's last movie Enter the Dragon was made for US$850,000 in 1973 ($3.74 million in 2005 currency. BLS[13]). To date, Enter the Dragon has grossed over $100,000,000. (IMDB.com[14])

Bruce was able to hold a 57 kg (125 lb) barbell at arms length in front of him (with elbows locked) for several seconds. (Little[15])
    [edit]

Quotes
    These are some quotes from Bruce Lee's students and people who trained with him, about his feats of strength:[12]

Chuck Norris:
    "Lee, pound for pound, might well have been one of the strongest men in the world, and certainly one of the quickest."

Doug Palmer:
    "Bruce was like the Michael Jordan or Muhammad Ali in his prime, somebody who stood above everyone else. It's not that the other martial artists weren't good. It's just that this guy was great."

Herb Jackson:
    "The biggest problem in designing equipment for Bruce was that he'd go through it so damn fast. I had to reinforce his wooden dummy with automobile parts so he could train on it without breaking it. I had started to build him a mobile dummy that could actually attack and retreat to better simulate "live" combat, sadly Bruce died before the machine was built. It would have been strung up by big high-tension cables that I was going to connect between two posts, one on either side of his backyard. The reason for the machine was simply because no one could stand up to his full force punches and kicks, Bruce's strength and skill had evolved to a point where he had to fight machines."
    "He never trained in a gym, he thought he could concentrate better at home, so he worked out on his patio. He had a small weight set, something like a standard 100 lb cast-iron set. In addition, he had a 310 lb Olympic barbell set, a bench press and some dumbbells, both solid and adjustable."
    "Bruce used to beat all other comers at this type of wrist wrestling and even joked that he wanted to be world champion at it."

James Coburn:
    "Bruce and I were training out on my patio one day, we were using this giant bag for side kicks, I guess it weighed about 150 lb. Bruce looked at it and just went Bang, it shot up out into the lawn about 15 ft in the air, it then busted in the middle. It was filled with little bits and pieces of rag, we were picking up bits of rag for months."

Jesse Glover:
    "When he could do push ups on his thumbs and push ups with 250 lb on his back, he moved on to other exercises."
    "The power that Lee was capable of instantly generating was absolutely frightening to his fellow martial artists, especially his sparring partners, and his speed was equally intimidating. We timed him with an electric timer once, and Bruce's quickest movements were around five hundredths of a second (.05sec), his slowest were around eight hundredths (.08sec). This was punching from a relaxed position with his hands down at his sides from a distance between 18-24 inches. Not only was he amazingly quick, but he could read you too. He could pick up on small subtle things that you were getting ready to do and then he'd just shut you down."
    "Bruce was gravitating more and more toward weight training as he would use the weighted wall pulleys and do series upon series with them. He'd also grab one of the old rusty barbells that littered the floor at the YMCA and would roll it up and down his forearms, which is no small feat when you consider that the barbell weighed 70 lb."

Jim Kelly:
    "Bruce, well I can basically say this. I have been around a lot of great martial arts fighters. Worked out with them. Fought them in tournaments. In my opinion, Bruce Lee was the greatest martial artist who ever lived. To me, that's my opinion. I think Bruce Lee is the greatest martial artist ever. I don't think anybody is in his class."

Joe Lewis:
    "Bruce was incredibly strong for his size. He could take a 75 lb barbell and from a standing position with the barbell held flush against his chest, he could slowly stick his arms out, lock them and hold the barbell there for 20 seconds, that's pretty damn tough for a guy who at the time only weighed 138 lb. I know 200 lb weight lifters who can't do that."
    " I never stood in front of another human who was as quick as him. He not only had the quickness, but he had the inner confidence to muster the conviction to do so. I've seen others who had the speed, but lack conviction or vice versa. He was like Ali, he had both. I stood before both of these men, so I know."
    "If Bruce Lee wasn´t the greatest martial artist of all time, then certainly he is the number one candidate."
    (Source)

Leo Fong:
    "Yes, I was on the receiving end of his side kick. It was like getting hit with a truck."

Mito Uhera:
    "Bruce always felt that if your stomach wasn't developed, then you had no business doing any hard sparring."

James Rage:
    "I think its important for people to realize that he was not only one of history's greatest martial artists, but also one of the finest athletes period. His devotion to physical exercise and healthy lifestyle was mind-boggling."

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  13. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Gene Lebell:
    "Bruce loved to learn grappling, he ate it up! He said that people would never go for it in movies or TV because the fights are over too fast and most of the good stuff was hidden from view. He said they wanted to see fancy kicking, acrobatics, and weapons -- he was a savvy showman who knew how to give 'em exactly what they wanted. I wish he could be around now to see how well grappling is doing these days. I remember one time he kicked me really hard. I remember thinking it was a good thing he only wore a size 6 shoe instead of a 14 like me, otherwise that kick would have sent me to China! He was strong for his size, lemme tell ya.

Gene LeBell (Jan 2000)

14. godking

godking Leap-Amateur

Bruce Lee's feats

Bruce Lee's two finger push ups

This means what exactly ? 2 fingered push ups are not that difficult for a man trained in explosive strength feats . The average olympic gymnasts could do the same

Bruce Lee's striking speed from 60cm (24 inches) away was five hundredths of a second. (Glover[12])
    Hearsay where is the scientific proof ?

Bruce did one-hand push ups using only 2 fingers.

Nothing beyond what a good gymnast can do does'nt make you a good fighter. Nice parlor trick though

Bruce was able to break a 70 kg (154 lbs) bag with a sidekick. (Coburn[12])
    Hearsay again provide proof

Bruce would ride for 45 minutes (16 Kilometres) (10 miles) on a stationary bike, sweating profusely afterwards. (Uhera [12]) This is a great feat ?

Bruce's famous "One Inch Punch" was able to knock back and off balance a 200lb man into a chair, using only 1 inch of striking distance. The target stands with their feet squared and is unable to turn to a sideways stance because of the chair being in the way, thus being knocked off balance.
    The One inch punch is a parlor trick designed to impress the gullible

Bruce's last movie Enter the Dragon was made for US$850,000 in 1973 ($3.74 million in 2005 currency. BLS[13]). To date, Enter the Dragon has grossed over $100,000,000. (IMDB.com[14])
    This has to do with his fighting skill ?

Bruce was able to hold a 57 kg (125 lb) barbell at arms length in front of him (with elbows locked) for several seconds. Nothing beyond what a good gymnast cant do.

You dont actually believe this quote :jester: :jester: :rollllling: :rollllling:

The reason for the machine was simply because no one could stand up to his full force punches and kicks, Bruce's strength and skill had evolved to a point where he had to fight machines."

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  15. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    :nixweiss:

16. 20yearoldvirgin

4cocks= four hooks.

Hope that clears it up. :2:

17. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Yeah and everything you claimed Oyama done isn't hearsay:loveballs:

You have three people on a messageboard that agrees with you, I have 20 million people all around the world that agrees with me including the MMA world.

18. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

You actually believe the quote though :jester: :loveballs:

Mas Oyama, in order to show the strength of his karate, tested his strength by fighting raging bulls bare-handed. It was a mismatch from the get-go for the bulls, not for Oyama. In all, he fought 52 bulls, three of which were killed instantly, and 49 had their horns taken off with knife hand blows

19. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    :jester: :2:

20. LOK

:jester: :2:

21. LOK

for real, this is absurd. Mas Oyma IMO is an urban legend. this bull killing is ridiculous

22. LOK

:jester: = me laughing

23. 20yearoldvirgin

24. godking

godking Leap-Amateur

Not like Bruce Lee right ?

There is proof of Oyama fighting bulls he was gored by one and almost killed.

People who believe that Bruce Lee was so strong that he could only fight machines should'nt be taalking about urban legends.

25. Tha Pitbull

Tha Pitbull Leap-Amateur

Like I said

PROVE IT

26. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

It's funny how you keep asking for proof from other posters, but when you bring up all of these supposed things Bruce Lee could do, you offer none. :jester:

27. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

But Bruce Lee did prove it. Did you not see his talent displayed in the Ed Parker footage from 62 and 64? Bruce did crazy shit there. Demonstrated 2 finger push ups, demonstrated a spinning kick where he landed on one leg and then jumped again in another spinning kick. Dude actually launched himself off 1 leg to spin kick which is some crazy shit. You try to do a spinning kick and then land on one leg and jump again off that one leg to do another spinning kick. That's crazy athleticism right there.
    He also demonstrated his insane hand and kicking speed. He demonstrated his art in a sparring session with an opponent where he actually continued touching the guy before the guy could even land anything. Bruce's speed was just madness in real time motion.
    You have to see the demos to appreciate his skills. A physical phenomenon!

28. FourHooks

Fluffer
    Home Page:

fuck you COK.....the way I read it for some reason it seemed like you didnt know....Gotta be careful with you stroke victims

29. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

S'up Hooks? You been busy lately? New job?

30. LOK

:holla:

'tsall good baby boy