Save Boxing in One Year ...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Double L, Sep 22, 2010.

1. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

yes and no. When boxing is rubbish..I tend to focus on Tennis and Track and field.

Individual sports is where it's at though :kidcool:

2. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I don't know that it will 'save the year', but it is a great fight on paper and hopefully will be a FOY candidate or winner.

3. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    not to veer too far off course... but I have to admit that after having never in my life really giving tennis a fair chance, I quickly became addicted to it during this year's US Open. I always have ESPN on in the background on TV while at work, and just so happened to look up while Nadal was playing an early round match (basically the equivalent of someone catching prime Jordan play the very first time they watched basketball). Didn't miss a waking minute of it after that.

Back to the thread...

mikE, not to speak for UGBK, but that fight would basically be as big as it gets for the Finnish boxing scene if it happens over there. Can understand why it would make his year if it lands there.

4. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Yeah, 2006 was awful. Is there a list of big fights year by year anywhere online?

5. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/895VJ2OxfKE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/895VJ2OxfKE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

6. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

:lol:

Must be a pretty great sport if that's a bad year...

7. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

O...kay :scratcher:

8. ElTerriblee

ElTerriblee "Twinkle Toes" McJack

How is Helsinki in November? Knee deep in snow already? Expensive city?

9. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Those fights getting made would have made it a good year. PAC fought a solid contender at the weight. Floyd took a fight most of us never thought we would see. That both fights werent overly exciting means little as everyone was happy with the choice of opponents.

It's too easy to say we missed out on a great fight and shitcan the whole year. Objectively if we leave out the disappointment of the superfight not occuring, it's a pretty standard year rather than bad.

As for the Klits, they've made it quite clear that fight will never happen for years so I'm not sure why anyone would still be feeling disappointment.

10. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Chances are that there won't be any snow yet, the pattern has been that winters are warmer all the time and in southern Finland there might not be any snow at that time. Everything is expensive over here of course and everybody is miserable of course.

And Jake nailed it: the fight would be by far the biggest that has ever taken place in Finland, the only comparable one would be Davey Moore's featherweight title defense in 1962. So getting ringside to this would indeed be really cool

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

The COMBINATION of Abraham-Froch AND Dirrell-Ward (As Loooooong as COMPETITION is More Important to these 2 than FRIENDSHIP), on the SAMEfuckingNIGHT, will B Good for the Sport...Not Enough to "Save" the Year, but Definitely a Potential "Bang" to End the Year On...

REED:kidcool:

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Whether they're Brothers or Not, it's BAD for Boxing when its' GLAMOUR Division (The Heavyweights) has 2 Dominant Guys @ the Top that will NEVER EVER Fight Each Other...The MAINSTREAM Fan Still CAN'T Differentiate Wlad from Vitali...

Boxing has NEVER Been a Sport where Guys WILLINGLY SHARE the Glory...As TOUCHING as it May B that the Brothers Won't Ever Fight, it Goes AGAINST the Singular/Individualistic NATURE of Prizefighting...Everybody Wants to Know Who "THE MAN" Is...Who Cares Who "THE MEN" Are????....

Pac Will Close Out the Year in Exciting Fashion, Shitkicking Margarito, but Floyd Mayweather has UNDENIABLY HURT the Sport, in 2010...It's HIS Fault that the Biggest Fight in Boxing Didn't Get Done in 2010 & w/All Due Respect, FUCK Him for that....

Bradley vs. Alexander/ Khan-Maidana would Contribute to LIFTING an Otherwise "Down" Year as Well....

REED:hammert:

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Glad to Hear a BIG Fight is Coming to your Town, UGO...Hopefully U Get the Opportunity to Experience EVERY Aspect of it...Pressers, Weigh-In's, the Fight Itself, etc....

REED:mj:

14. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Unfortunately it is not actually my town, it is about five-hour drive away, so it could be that I can't attend the weigh-in since I can't be away from my job for many days. However I will probably get a free ticket and attend the press row so I will be seeing it up close.

Hopefully this doesn't become another Valuev-Chagaev II. In that fight I was at the weigh-in too, too bad the fight itself never took place

15. TraZ

TraZ WBC Champion

Home Page:
    juanma vs marquez is interesting too i think

16. Kenny

Kenny Scrub

The problem is GBP is buying all the young talent and not using them to there true potential. They got everybody but you only see Kahn, ortiz, shane, marquez, diaz and some other old guys. Maybe one day after they kill all the other promotion boxing will be good. But there pretty much crap in building up fighters. I mean giving kahn a three mil per fight deal without having him prove his worth? crapy match making. Pushing guys to main event after they lose?

Arum is an old dushe but he knows how to build fighters. He makes people believe Chavez jr vs cotto would be a good fight. Hell i would pay for it if the under card it right. Chavez will lose, but im fooled to believe there would be some good action there. He has a better boxing mind but just sucks at promoting black stars.

To save boxing, they got to let the fans pic who they want to see. Put guys together and see what stick. Murad new how the game work. He had a talent name pacquiao. Put him in with a tough african boxer under a big ppv. See if he can make himself a star.

Floyd knows how it works as well. Move to another promoter who can give you airtime. Put on a show in the press confrence and let the fans see you.

I think people drop the ball on the kitichko boys. If promoted right, they could have been stars. Like most promoters know. You don't just promote those guys they needed to promote other fighters to feed to them.

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

The only upside of promoters like GBP and TR matching their fighters up with other fighters in their stables is that you see less of the kind of thing RJJ and PBF used to do when they had HBO contracts, which was basically take on opponents who would fight for pennies. Mosley did it too when he had an HBO contract. It's why guys like Glenn Kelly, Adrian Stone and Henry Bruselles showed up on HBO.

Seems like more recently, the promoters are the ones with the HBO contracts.