benefits of sprinting

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Hut*Hut, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
  2. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Hey I had a topic with the same title a while back..

sprinting is awesome

3. Breeze

Breeze WBC Champion

Interesting find man. When I run, sometimes I like to do wind sprints at the end of my run. You know jog, sprint, jog, sprint alternating. Believe me it is hard! But it builds up your anaerobic capacity big time.

4. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Yeah I do that sometimes....invigorating! :bears: Really, the more I read the more Im convinced that steady state cardio is fucking WORTHLESS. Worse than worthless. It messes your hormones, it's inferior for fat burning, it's poison to strength gains and explosiveness, next to useless for upping your vo2 max and now it turns out it's even greatly inferior for increasing aerobic capacity. Basically there isn't a single reason left to perform steady state cardio. Which is good cause I always despised it anyway!
    :partie:

5. LOK

Matt Furey.. although he gets lots of 'hate' mainly for his marketing ways.. I think he has some good theorys and advice.

he talks about this.. he makes a funny/good point.. about the most fit animals

he talks about the big cats. .he said 95% of their life they are laying around, sleeping and eating. but when they run it is an all out sprint:lol:

6. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    That's a good point. Reminds me of something my man Tsatsouline says, 'strength = tension, and max tension and fatigue are mutually exclusive'. Exhaustion is not your friend, go hard go short then rest up. That's the reason most people never make strength gains on bodybuilding regimes IMO, they take 45 seconds between their squat sets because they want to 'keep their heart rate up and increase their pump' or whatever spurious reason their metro personal trainers have given them to try and get them out the door quicker. You go back 9 months later and their still quarter squating (to save their knees aparently, lol) 160lb with a fucking belt on.....lol...often on a friggin Smith machine. Meanwhile the guys who know what their doing take 5 minutes between sets and get stronger and stronger. Seems even aerobic capacity is the same - which kinda makes sense since your heart and lunges are muscles?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  7. LOK

:bears:

all very true

8. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

CNC Manager
    Home Page:
    I just read fast.....30 seconds of sprinting six times a day? Is that what it suggests after warming up instead of long jogging etc?

9. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    yeah. It says 3x a week, start with 4 sprints and work up to 7 over a couple of weeks. 30 seconds sprint then 4 minutes in between.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  10. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

does it matter if u do it on a bike or sprint/running?

And if u run, do u walk or jog in the 4 minute rest period...?

11. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I don't think a bike would be suitable. As long as you can get your intensity up, it doesn't matter what you do, but sitting on a bike isn't as demanding as sprinting. In my gym we do tabata protocalls with all sorts of different things, though, so just find something else you like if you dont like running. Like sometimes we do knee tucks, sometimes burpees, plyometric push ups, sometimes hit the bag sometimes mix up all different things. This type of protocall wouldnt be any different. You could swim for instance, if your joints are a problem.

And you rest in between sets, not jog. The point is to fully recover between sets so you can reach max intensity again.

12. Tyler Durden

CNC Manager
    Home Page:
    Can I get rid of jogging altogether if I do this? I train for boxing for cardio also.

13. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    would seem so based on that study. :dunno: IMO for in ring stamina, sparring >x10 running anyway.

14. Tyler Durden

CNC Manager
    Home Page:

Yeah, I always thought that with the james Toney style training. I'm going to give this sprinting a shot :bears:

15. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    High Intensity Interval Training is good, but absolutely exhausting. A HUGE difference between steady-state cardio or even reasonably hard (but not sprinting) cardio.

I feel like throwing up and passing out after I'm done with it.

I'm a little surprised by how long it says to rest on that article. 4 minute rest after 30 seconds of sprinting. I thought the ratios were supposed to be more like 3 to 1, for people starting out with HIIT.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  16. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Im guessing that max intensity is key so you need to fully recover between sets. On the other hand if you prefer, you have the tabata protocall with is 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, but this study produced vastly better results (though admittedly on less advanced athletes).

Again, can't help noticing that I would expect similar results in strength gains in programs which worked with similar rest periods (ie much greater gains in the programs with greater rest periods), Im beginning to suspect it's not a coincidence.:popcorn:

17. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

skipped my jogging and started this today... :mj: