Carlos Palomino vs Marlon Starling

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Flo-Raiden, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Flo-Raiden

Flo-Raiden Undisputed Champion

@ 147 who wins between the rugged Mexican warrior and the tricky defensive boxer? Does Palomino outwork Starling or can Starling outbox Palomino?

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

If you posted this matchup 15 years ago, I'd have said Starling without hesitation. Starling was thought of very highly on this forum back in the day; in part because Cdogg was around, and Cdogg overrated him beyond belief (because they were both from Connecticut). He even went as far as to say one time that Starling was just as good as Mike McCallum (I shit you not, he really said that).

In retrospect, I very much overrated Starling when I was younger. He was a very talented and skilled fighter, but I thought of him as a great back in the 2000s. He certainly was NOT great. He lacked intangibles. Much like Curry, but Curry was more talented and had bigger guns.

I'd pick Palomino here. Pretty confidently too. I think Palomino's stamina and body attack would wear Starling down. Starling doesn't get stopped, but Palomino would work him over pretty good in the latter rounds.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    Greynotsoold likes this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Starling would just get outworked imo.

Greynotsoold and Xplosive like this.
  4. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Palomino would out-box Starling

5. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

In Starling's defense, he'd shine against many of the welterweights from recent years. He'd feast on the Mediocre Big 3, otherwise known as Thurman, Porter, and Garcia.

I'd pick Starling over Brook too.

I don't know what to make of Spence vs Starling. It'd be interesting. It would be competitive either way.

Bud, I think he'd be too dynamic and versatile for Starling.

Fortunato likes this.
  6. Fortunato

Fortunato WBC Champion

Starling could be so hot and cold. Palomino probably wins a slight majority.

Starling gives the version of Spence that Bud fought the Honeyghan treatment. At Errol's best it's a better fight but Starling would definitely be a huge threat to any version.

Agree about the rest. Brook is a bit too basic and too fragile to beat Starling.