Cintron ready to step in since Mayweather can't back up his talk.

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by *Z*, May 8, 2007.

1. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Cintron targets UFC titlist!
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he doesn't want to battle a UFC champion. No problem. IBF World Welterweight Champion and former high school/college wrestling star Kermit Cintron would like to accept the challenge from UFC President Dana White, it was announced today by Main Events CEO Kathy Duva. Cintron, who will be defending his IBF crown against mandatory challenger Walter Matthysse on July 14 in Atlantic City, NJ, would like to battle the UFC champion following his June IBF title defense. "I want the fight," said Cintron. "I can wrestle. I can box. I can beat those UFC fighters at their own game. Tell Mr. White to make me an offer and I'll take on his guy after I fight Matthysse on July 14." Cintron (27-1, 25 KO's) captured the vacant IBF crown on October 28, 2006, when he destroyed Mark Suarez in six rounds (TKO 6). The 27-year-old Reading, PA resident by way of Carolinas, Puerto Rico once finished 10th at the NJCAA Wrestling Championships. As a senior in high school he was offered full wrestling scholarships to Wisconsin University and Ohio State University. The Cintron-Matthysse bout will serve as the co-feature to the Arturo Gatti-Alfonso Gomez contest. Main Events is promoting the July 14 evening of boxing, in association with The Tournament of Contenders, LLC and Caesars Atlantic City.

2. *Z*

Cintron has large balls. Mayweather, not so much.

3. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Interesting.

"The 27-year-old Reading, PA resident by way of Carolinas, Puerto Rico once finished 10th at the NJCAA Wrestling Championships. As a senior in high school he was offered full wrestling scholarships to Wisconsin University and Ohio State University. "

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  4. *Z*

I'd love to see this happen.

5. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Same.

6. Registered

Registered "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Cintron would probably give Sean Shrek a run for his money if his wrestling skills are that good.

Not so sure about elite guys like BJ Penn or Hermes Franca though.

7. *Z*

Sherk is fighting Franca next. I am sure that wide ass swinging Hermes Franca would get knocked out brutally by Cintron. BJ Penn will have one fight at 155 against Pulver and then he's going back to 170 so he can be a lazy ass.

8. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    It's all so ridiculous. Sherk would defeat Cintron in an MMA fight, withought too much trouble, just like Cintron would kill him in a boxing match.

The only fair contest would be a straight wrestling match, but that wouldn't really prove anything as far as which sport is superior, MMA or boxing.

9. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

One thing can be said about both Sherk and Cintron....they'd both beat the shit out of Mayweather in the Octogon.

TFK

10. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Unlike you, i don't peek into boxer's changing rooms before fights just as they get our of the shower...and so I can't comment on the size of Mayweather's balls...

But..Floyd is the BEST. Cintron is a punk who got stopped by the mediocre Margarito.

11. *Z*

It isn't about proving which is superior, it would just be a fun fight to see.

12. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    :rolleyes:

Hermes Franca is on about the same level as Sherk. I don't know how you can say that Franca is an elite guy, and Sherk isn't. Either they both are, or are not.

13. *Z*

Floyd should keep his mouth shut if he doesn't want to back it up. Why say something if you have no intention of backing it up when someone calls you on it?

14. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    maybe to us, but not to Cintron/Sherk. Not to mention Dana White and some elitist boxing experts.

15. *Z*

Hermes Franca is SO wide with his shots it's ridiculous. He is not elite at all. Sherk will kill him.

16. TFK

To sell PPV's. Floyd knows he'd get his ass handed to him in the Octogon, but he also knows that UFC is skyrocketing, and taking a lot of boxing fans with it. He figured attaching his name to UFC would get people talking, which it did.

For as good as Mayweather may or may not be, he really hasn't done anything other then the De La Hoya fight or the UFC talk to make the average fan give a rat's ass about him.

TFK

17. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    but he has good bjj skills. Every UFC fight of his that I have seen was very exciting. He has no neck, though. :cool:

18. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    That's your opinion. Sherk is going to get submitted by the elite Franca when they meet. :cool:

19. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    it's possible, but at this time, you can't label Franca as elite, and SHerk as not elite. :cool:

20. *Z*

Oh for sure. He's exciting to watch. He tries to knock guys heads off! For as good as he is on the ground he shouldn't be looking for the KO as much as he does.

21. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    I just did. Sherk is garbage. Hermes is elite. What are you going to do about it? :dunno:

22. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    his strikes rival Ricardo Mayorga's. :eek:

23. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    :cool:

24. NeighborMike

NeighborMike Senior Member

Home Page:
    Of course cintron will step in with elite wrestling skills....

25. StingerKarl

StingerKarl Ace Degenerate

Cintron is huge, those of you that have seen him in person know this, and he is very powerful.
    I think only world class professional boxers can trade with the guy, and Kermit would lay the UFC guys out that I saw in Houston that would try to punch with him, and he can take care of himself on the mat as well from what I hear.

26. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I don't see what the UFC will get out of this. If things don't go the way Dana White would intend them to, it'll do more harm than good to the reputation of MMA and to the UFC. And Kermit Cintron isn't anywhere near as well known as Mayweather Jr to the masses. So really, who cares?

27. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

WAR KERMIT CINTRON....now he better WIN!!!! :flip:

28. Jzsn95x2

Jzsn95x2 Scrub

I would think Cintron would have about as good a chance as a boxer can in the UFC with his college level wrestling skills and superior stand up, plus he is huge for the weight, plus may have a bit more in the tank since he would not have to go to 147 but 155. He probably has zero submissions and probably no idea how to defend against them but should be fun to watch. I'd like to hear White's reply to this. He called Floyds bluff now Cintron is calling White's, lets see if it was just a bluff.

29. TFK

I'm sure Dana White would give Cintron the chance to fight in the UFC if he were serious about it. But I'm also sure that he won't pay Cintron anywhere near the money he would've put up for Floyd, since Cintron is far from a household name and a complete unknown among non boxing fans.

It'll be interesting to see if this actually leads anywhere. I doubt it, but it would be great if it did.

TFK

30. *Z*

It would be marketable for sure though. Cintron holds a welterweight title. That alone is a good marketing tool. UFC is so much better at marketing than boxing it would be a good seller.