Crawford vs Mosley (2000 version)

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by puerto rock, Jan 4, 2024.

1. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

At 147. What say y’all?

2. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Crawford wins - baffles Mosley with counter-shots.

3. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Shane might have some early success but Crawford wins going away by the end.

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I'm not ready to make Bud the concrete favorite here. I feel like prime Mosley is really underrated at this point. Shane was several leagues better than the likes of Spence and Porter. And if you put the current Spence in with the 2000 Mosley, Spence would have been violently KO'd.

Don't get me wrong, I ultimately would pick Crawford, based primarily on the fact that he's so much better a thinker than Shane and more versatile. However, I don't see it as a foregone conclusion.

5. Fortunato

Fortunato WBC Champion

Agreed. I think Shane's speed and physical strength would give Bud fits but he eventually figures him out. The Shane that beat Oscar was a handful.

That said I want to see Bud fight someone who's a bit fresher or less damaged than the names he's beaten at 147 to get a real gauge of where he really is right now. He's looked good but with the exception of Horn his name wins all come with an asterisk.

6. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Yeah agreed with both. It's easy to remember Crawford's dismantling of Spence and also recalling what guys like Forrest did to him and say it's a similar result. It might well be, more needs to be seen.

Xplosive likes this.
  7. Xplosive

I like Bud more, for the record. I find his style far more pleasing to the eye than Shane's. But damn Mosley gets undersold nowadays. Mosley is the classic example of overrated during his prime, but underrated post-retirement. In fact, I would argue that Mosley is THE most disrespected retired fighter.

All retired legends, from Mike, to Tito, to Roy, get proper respect for how good they were in their primes. Not Shane. Mosley's prime has been written off to the extent that I feel forced to defend him a lot.

Even fuckin HAMED gets less disrespect than Mosley imo.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  8. Xplosive

Lastly, you gotta call it like it is. While I'm more of a Bud fan than a Mosley fan, one thing is for damn certain: Mosley shits on Crawford when it comes to his willingness to fight the best. Noooo one can deny that. Shane dared to be great and took on all comers. It took Bud 36 fuckin years to be ambitious. Don't let recency bias blind us from that.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  9. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Spence doesn't have a win approaching a prime Oscar De La Hoya. That said, it's a head to head mythical matchup. Certainly not irrelevant but not the key thing to look at either.

No fighter had a huge win until the day they did.

10. Fortunato

Fortunato WBC Champion

That's why this fight isn't cut and dried. I think Bud fighting from southpaw gives him his best advantage. People forget that Bud has been hit and stunned at 147 and Shane could definitely crack. We also haven't seen how Bud holds up against a constant body attack.

The Gamboa fight is a distant memory but we remember how his speed gave Bud trouble until he switched to southpaw and broke him down. Shane would be Bud's toughest test by far.

Xplosive likes this.
  11. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Its a competitive fight. One welter beat prime mosley and Crawford is less rangy and as familiar with mosley as that guy

Xplosive likes this.
  12. puerto rock

I just finished watch Crawford’s fight against Mean Machine and it still gets me how vulnerable Crawford is to quick one shot counters. A lot of people were saying that Bud just started slow but I think he was having legit problems with the hand speed and TIMING of Mean Machine.

I can see Mosley doing some serious damage here. And I don’t think it’s in Crawford’s DNA to not fight back when taking big shots. I don’t see it as a foregone conclusion at all that Bud wins.

Fortunato likes this.
  13. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

:rolleyes:

George Crowcroft and puerto rock like this.
  14. puerto rock

Time to make MM matchup with Terry Norris getting KO’d.

15. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Mosley via power-boxing

16. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Id pick mosley. Lil ass Gamboa gave bud a lot of problem with his speed. If Mosley fough the flotsam that Crawford fought, he would also be undefeated

17. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

One thing I don't think really matters in this match up is strength. Shane was strong, but Crawford is too, plus he knows how to use it.

18. Xplosive

Thats all due to his wrestling background. He knows how to leverage his strength.

In the weight room, Mosley would make a mockery of Crawford, but Shane wasn't as intelligent as using his leverage to bully guys around.

However, Crawford wouldn't muscle Shane around as easily as he has other guys.

Slice N Dice likes this.
  19. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

What we DO Know Is There'd for Sure Be a Sugar Shane-Floyd-Round 2, "Oh SHIT" Moment...How Bud COPES Literally Determines the Outcome of the Fight...Shane's an Underdog Here, But as LIVE as a "Live Underdog" Could Possibly Be...

REED:afro:

20. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

2020 US Olympian, Richard Torrez Jr, Who's Fought as Heavy as 235+, Admits to Playing Around w/Bud One Day, Wrestling, and Getting the WORST Of It...

REED:afro:

Xplosive likes this.