Cuban Gold Medalists debut Friday

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by ElTerriblee, Apr 22, 2007.

1. ElTerriblee

ElTerriblee "Twinkle Toes" McJack

The Cuban gold medalists will debut on Saturday. Apparently Solis, the 3-time world and current olympic champ handled Vaughn Bean with ease in sparring and is set to fight the late starter Andreas Sidon (44, 32-7) in his pro debut. No opponents yet for Gamboa and Barthelemy.

Should be interesting to see how fast Solis will be moved. :cheer:

2. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Cubans are pussies and mostly failures.
    Just look at guys like Jose Luis Gonzalez, Hurtado, Garbey, Iribaren, etc.....
    Casamayor is the only exception......

3. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

If he hadn't, you'd really have to worry.

4. ElTerriblee

Last time I have seen Bean he was beating Dimitrenko, who some people consider to be a serious prospect/contender. Not me, but Bean is a stinker, who can make people look bad.

5. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    true, and the guy has actually fought at world level so a novice with no pro experience handling him is pretty impressive.

6. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Vaugn Bean is a very dangerous opponent. Victory over the Bean is one of the greatest achievemnts of Vitaly's carerr.

7. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Vitali stopped him at least, unlike those UsaBums such as Holyfield and Moorer who both nearly lost

8. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

nearly lost? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
    Anyhoo, victory over Bean is not even top-15 of Holy's achievments, while Vitaly's career is impossible to imagine without a victory over the always dangerous Bean :laughing:
    It's like the situation with Corey Sanders. When Rahman stopped Sanders, no one gave a fuck and no one gave Rahman any credit (deservedly so), because everyone knew Sanders is a bum. But once Vitaly managed to stop 40-years old Sanders, it became a defining victory of his career :laughing: :laughing:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  9. Rubio MHS

Bean won five six rounds tops in those three fights combined. In all three fights, all he was trying to do was survive. Holyfield was the only one of the three to send Bean to the canvas, and unlike Bitschko, he was able to withstand the mighty assault of Chris Byrd. :slap:

10. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

JC Gomez.

Speaking of failures..your performance in this thread comes to mind.

11. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Ah, yes, the mighty WBO :laughing: Cruiserweight :laughing: :laughing: champion of the world.......is it the same guy who got brutally knocked out in 30 seconds by Yanqui Diaz? :cheer:

12. mikE

You overuse the smilies.

And it wasn't the WBO cruiser belt.

13. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

:laughing: :clap:

14. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Oh, I'm sorry, I don't follow cruiserweight :laughing: division too carefully. It wasn't WBO? Let me guess.....The guy fought his enitre career in Germany :lol: , came over to the US once or twice, and got leveled by Yanqui Diaz? :laughing: :laughing:
    right? That's the level of achievement we're talking about here?

15. ElTerriblee

Actually he won the WBC belt in Argentina, but keep trying, there is still a slight chance you´ll figure out the difference between Corrie and Corey Sanders by the end of the day.

16. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Oh, you got me there, you got me there good! Winning CRUISERWEIGHT :lol: title in Argentina :lol: :lol: is really an acheivement. I'm ashamed I doubted JC Gomez' greatness! :notallthere:
    And I hope you do understand the idiocy of nobody giving any props to Tubbs or Rahman for demolishing Sanders (deservedly so, because Corey, Corrie, Korea or however you want to spell his name, has been, is, and always will be a bum), while praising Vitaly for beating the 40-years old reitred golf pro. :laughing:
    Take away victory over Sanders from Vitaly's resume. What's left? Nothing.

17. Rubio MHS

Gomez was the #1 crusierweight in the world for a couple of years.

18. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

My uncle was #1 tic-tac-toe player in the world for a couple of years. And that's significantly harder than being #1 cruiserweight.

19. ElTerriblee

No doubt, guess that is the greatest achievement in your family. :clap:

20. ElTerriblee

Solis is in excellent shape at 258 pounds, only 60 pounds over his Olympic weight. Communism is a good thing for Cubans otherwise the island might have collapsed under their collective weight years ago. Looks like only super-bantamweight Gamboa is showing the necessary professionalism so far.

21. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Gomez-Jirov was definitely one of those fights I would've loved to have seen...both went from elite cruiserweights to mediocre heavyweights.

22. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I don't think you shoul ever lump Gomez in with Jirov. He was always twice the fighter Vasilly was. Cruiserweight or heavyweight, it didn't matter.

23. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Seriously. Solis is so out of shape there is no way in hell he is taking his pro career seriously.

24. mikE

Even if you're right, that wasn't the perception when they were back at cruiser. Along with these two, Braithwaite and Nelson, the only one who was considered 'lesser' was Nelson and I'm not so sure he wasn't actually the best.

Assuming Jirov was so 'lesser', he sure gave Toney a hell of a fight, and imo, he was a different strategy away from beating Toney. That sure makes Gomez something special.

25. Registered

Registered "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Yeah why is this guy so fat? He looks like he didn't train at all for this fight. He might have the skills to carry through but he'd get starched by Fres Oquendo the way he looks right now.

26. mikE

I agree and it fucking sucks. Although it should be noted that Solis also fought at Superheavy and I'm not sure what he weighed at that time.

27. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    Honestly, I've never given much weight to this word "considered", because it entails what a bunch of American writers tend to think, which then influences what internet writers think, which then flows down to board members.

I've seen them all fight, for their entire career. One fighter out of those four had the potential to be special; and it wasn't the guy who got the ammy glory in Atlanta.

As for beating Toney? Well beating a 190 pound Toney doesn't impress me. He hasn't been a special fighter for a LONG time. Again, I'm not one who put much stock in his heavyweight exploits. Beating a couple of borderline top 25 guys and losing to everyone else doesn't rock my world.

28. Matchup_Analyzer

Matchup_Analyzer Keyboard Warrior

:clap: :clap: :clap:

JC Gomez is the better fighter altogether, too bad he keeps getting overlooked in the HW division, he's getting up there in age with nothing to show for it there..

29. mikE

I liked Gomez a lot (still do), but he had his flaws, most notably his cuffing and slapping..not so unlike the criticism directed at Calz.

30. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    I agree with that point. He does slap. He's also got suspect stamina, which has become a problem as he's gotten older, lazier and heavier.

But as a 190 pounder, he was a beast. I think the best cruiserweight since Holyfield and possibly the second best all-time. (yeah, yeah..big deal huh?) He'd have matched up real well with Jirov and stopped him midway through the fight, IMO. Braithwaite would have been tougher for him, simply due to his size, range and raw strength. He could about match Gomez in those categories.

I've never rated Jirov, to be honest. He was a solid fighter and a top 5 guy @ a time when the division was actually quite strong...but I don't believe he'd have beaten another champion @ the weight on their best nights.