Duran vs Naploes @ 147

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Xplosive, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

The Duran that beat Palimino & Leonard vs the Naploes who tortured Cokes. Who wins?

2. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Duran, he's just better, and since Napoles is a game fuck who will try to win on the inside, he would get hurt badly

3. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Duran on cuts, most likely.

4. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Napoles out points him over the 15.

5. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

I'd go with Napoles. He was uber-slick and he had a punch to boot. Why do you think that they called him "Mantequilla"? One could argue that he was just as good as Leoanrd at this weight.

I do smell the stink of Boxrec on this topic from everyone but Tam-Tam.

6. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    From what Ive seen (though admittedy only 2 or 3 fights), neither his slickness or his punch match up to Duran's. And whether the info comes from 'stinky' old boxrec or not :jester: , Napoles cut easily and Duran would expolit that kinda vulnerabilty by all means available to him within the rules or otherwise...and this'd be the kind of rough n ready fight where cuts are all the more likely. Duran TKO 9 on cuts.:sportif3:

7. Rubio MHS

You're saying that Duran was slicker than Napoles at 147? Are you Jaws using an alternate account? That's ridiculous. Go nuthug Dr. Strangelove or something. You have no business discussing boxing.

8. jaws1216

Home Page:
    Is that your Nietschkean bias showing, such hatred for difference and decency?

I'd say all those in favor of Napoles are teenyboppers. And if you think he's winning a trench war with Duran you need to execute yourself.

9. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Yes thats what I'm saying. I've seen very, VERY few fighters in history who were slicker than Roberto Duran at his best...and in the fights Ive watched Napoles certainly wasn't one of them.

10. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    Napoles cut up alot as he got older. If we're going to talk about the best version of Napoles (IE: the one that bashed Cokes without mercy), then he didn't have a problem with it.

IF we're going to include what happened later on in their career's, how about we factor in Duran's non-efforts, fatness, coke habit and repeated quitting in fights?

LOL @ Jaws suggesting ANYONE else is a teenybopper, let alone those who support Napoles in this fight, instead of probably the most popular "hardcore" fighter of all-time, in Roberto Duran.

11. jaws1216

Home Page:
    I am about as hardore as Bob Holly. (for you google warrior)

Duran is not getting beating in an infighting game, which is what this fight would be. And I thought this was a mythical match-up, where we assume fighters at their peak form against one another.

BUt hey if its the Duran of the Lawlor fight, for example, then Napoles would annihilate him.

12. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    Yeah, Im happy for you, Bob.

Thats the point I just made. At his peak, Napoles was not prone to cuts.

Napoles was not a traditional infighter. He'd take you apart from anywhere he godamn wanted to. The key in this fight, would be his ability to counter Duran on his way in, when he makes overuse of the lead right hand. Something the smaller, less talented DeJesus made use of, in his good moments vs. Duran.

Napoles threw probably a few million punches in his career and I defy you to find two that he missed (even one). He was the most accurate puncher the division ever saw and if there's one guy there whom I think beats Duran and looks good doing it, its Napoles.

Don't agree? Oh well. Thats fine. Thats called personal choice. I'm not sititng here crying over your choice, Im simply validating my own. You're the one who takes any "negative" (which is hardly what I'd call one of the best welters of all-time beating the best lightweight) about Duran to heart and decide to fight for him regardless of how idiodic you have to get to do it.

13. jaws1216

Home Page:
    The cut thing was not coming from me. Its idiotic when people bring that stuff up, unless its like Quarry who cut in every major fight he was ever in.

If nothing else, Duran was able to adjust to DeJesus' weapons and gradually make it work. The thin with Duran is that if you take away his jab, he can lead with a right hand, take that away and he leads with that rodeo hook to close distance. I'm not knocking Napoles abilities so much as I'm sticking up for a guy who absolutely destroyed people on the inside. Has Duran fought someone with Napoles accuracy, maybe not, but seeing him get the better of Leonard, Palomino, Cuevas (with the latter two being pummeled) on the inside makes me think he's proven himself in there moreso than Napoles as being that level of infighter.

14. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    Let me just say this; getting the better of shopworn versions of Palomino and Cuevas (neither of whom were nearly as good ANYWHERE as Napoles) just doesn't convince me like it does you.

Jose was quicker, more accurate, had a better punch variety, more brains, better defense and far more in his tank than either guy. I'll also say that I think Napoles was a better welter than Ray Leonard too, although Im happy to admit im in the minority with that.

15. Rubio MHS

I don't know why people keep saying that this would necessarily be an inside fight. At 147, Duran did a lot more fighting on the outside, and Napoles fought on the outside as well. Oh, wait. Now I remember. Jaws is just trying to find some possible way that Duran would be the favorite here, ignoring crucial factors, such as Napoles's range.

16. jaws1216

Home Page:
    I would agree on everytihng (except the Leonard part:jester: )

My point is that in Palomino and Cuevas he fought better infighters than Napoles fought, and therefore proved his inskill even at 147 a bit more.

idk, i respect your view of Napoles, but can't share in your opinion of him

17. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    What does 'idk' mean?

And I have no problem with disagreeing with someone. Just as long as they can backup their views. If you can aknowledge mine, I'm happy.

18. Rubio MHS

Don't pretend that you could possibly name three fighters each of them fought without resorting to Boxrec.

Anyway, why are you maintaining that this fight would be on the inside? I'd hardly call Napoles a pure infighter and Duran at 147 used range a lot more than he did in his early days at 135.

19. StingerKarl

StingerKarl Ace Degenerate

Napoles beats him at 147 and 135.