Fernando Vargas vs John Mugabi

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by whiskey, Oct 14, 2023.

1. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Ferocious vs The Beast

Double L likes this.
  2. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Very good matchup actually. Mugabi had the physics, Vargas the skill. I could see it going either way

3. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Good fight. I pick Vargas.

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I agree with Ugo. Case can be made for either guy.

Vargas was a lot more accomplished, and therefore should be the safer bet, but let's be honest... it's very doubtful that Vargas could withstand the bombs Hagler took.

Gun to my head... I'd say Nando by decision in a fight where he has to survive several scary moments. But a Mugabi stoppage is certainly a possibility.

5. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Pre-Trinidad Vargas Outpoints Mugabi Similar to How He Did Quartey, in a Rugged Affair...Post-Trinidad Vargas Eventually Gets HIT & KO'ed by Mugabi...

Vargas' Punch Resistance LITERALLY Went from Sugar to SHIT Post-Trinidad, Which Makes ALL the Difference vs. Beast Mugabi...

REED:afro:

6. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Vargas probably wins in a tight affair but he takes his lumps. Agree that post Trinidad he had lost something. Which he must have known which is why he tried to gain an edge against DLH by juicing.

7. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Vargas chin was always fragile. I dont really buy this tito destroyed it narrative, cause all the fighters that koed him simply were better than hum (the KD against Rivera seems to be an abberation more than anything else)

8. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I agree. I think it's been a bit exaggerated.

The Trinidad lost certainly softened his chin, but he was never exactly Juan Laporte in the chin department.

Mugabi could conceivably KO any version of Vargas, but of course, Mugabi had flaws of his own.

9. puerto rock

I think Vargas was solid, but I agree that he was not exactly Hagler in the chin department. As we saw in the fight against Quartey, he could be hurt. His resistance was obviously better pre-Trinidad but he wasn’t infallible. He was always vulnerable to quick counters.

What I do think is that the Trinidad fight softened him up resistance and shortened his career, though I never envisioned him hanging around too long in the fight game anyway.

It’s conceivable that Mugabi could KO him.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  10. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Regarding Vargas' Punch Resistance, the Likes of Shibata Flores Weren't HURTING Him PRE-Trinidad, Sorry...

REED Doubts Anyone Would Argue Flores or Wilfredo Rivera were HARDER Punchers than Ike Quartey, Yet Their Shots AFFECTED Vargas Worse, w/Out Question...The Common Denominator is Trinidad & the Fact He and Vargas Partook in a Hard, Grueling Bout...

That Said, It's Certainly CONCEIVABLE a Puncher of Mugabi's Ilk ENDS Pre-Trinidad Vargas Also...

puerto rock likes this.
  11. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Against Rivera , he walked in directly in a right hand. Quartey never caught him coming in like that.

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

...and the Boxing World was Collectively STUNNED By Vargas' Reaction Based On...

1. Vargas' Pre-Trinidad Punch Resistance
    2. An Overall LACK of Concern for Rivera's Punching Prowess...

REED:Dont:

13. puerto rock

Vargas also looked shaky against Flores whenever he took a shot from him. He lost something after Trinidad that’s for sure.

REEDsART likes this.
  14. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

This...

REED Ain't Even Arguing the LEVEL of Decline; Could've Been MINIMAL...But Still, Fernando Vargas was LESS Of a Fighter After Sharing a Ring w/Felix Trinidad...

puerto rock and Fortunato like this.
  15. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I think this Vargas was ruined by Trinidad narrative is largely from Tito's fanbase to hype him up and diminish future wins over him by other fighters. Like he beat the "real" Nando as if he was somehow post prison Tyson or something afterward. I do believe that fight had a negative impact on him though. I don't buy the whole "his chin was softened" story, but that his confidence took a blow like is common when undefeated fighters suffer their first lost, especially when it comes via knockout.

16. Double L

Double L Book Reader

"I don't buy it" is not convincing given all the evidence. Vargas was losing his shit from jabs. That never happened before. He definitely had lingering effects from his beat down....no question.

REEDsART likes this.
  17. puerto rock

There’s a bit of truth to Tito’s fan base hyping up his wins absolutely. Won’t deny it.

But, I do remember that when Vargas was momentarily hurt by Quartey, he didn’t look as shaky. Compared to how he reacted to taking the few shots he did from Flores and the knockdown against Rivera does make it apparent that something was lost the night he fought Tito. That fight most certainly changed him.