Fighters who look like they're getting hit when they're really not

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by IHATEJONES, May 8, 2007.

1. IHATEJONES

IHATEJONES Scrub

Mayweather, Duran, Toney. You would think this would be a bad style to have in terms of impressing the judges, but sometimes it has the opposite effect, where people disregard punches that actually are landing(i.e. Castillo-Mayweather).

2. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

From 2 of the Judges persectives this past Saturday , you must include Delahoya in this thread ...
    :dunno: I guess he looked like he got hit when Floyds punches fell short by about 4 to 6 inches ...

3. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Bruce Seldon

4. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    It wasn't the punches that hit air that looked like they landed when they didn't.

It was the shots that De La Hoya parried with his high guard. You've got a guy with quick hands like Mayweather throwing a shot close to De La Hoya's head and his hands are there, and then you hear a sound. People think it landed.

The same goes for Wright with his high guard and someone tries to split through it (like his fight with Taylor).

Sometimes with fights I've got to watch it in slow-mo to see if the punch really lands, partially lands, or hits all glove and no face.

5. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

:lol: :bears:

6. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Mayweather is a great example of punches not landing FLUSH, but they are still landing. He's good at taking the sting off them.

7. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :lol:

8. Double L

Double L Book Reader

seriously. and you'd think a professional like Harold Lederman would pick up on this. but unfortunately, he's too much of an idiot to ever score a fight correctly. seems like lately he can't get anything right.

similarly, Max Kellerman is fucking idiot and can't score a fight correctly to save his life. he had Raheem beating Freitas, and it was so ludicrous, they immediately revoked his judging responsibilities and gave them back to Lederman (as if this were any better).

it's an amazing fracture that has occurred between reality and perception that the judges and announcers on HBO have become so inept and so detached that nearly every broadcast is marked by what is portrayed as a terrible decision when in fact it's HBO that simply doesn't know how to score a fight. when Lederman is off as consistently as he is, i don't think there's any other conclusion to make than that he's incompetent and no longer knows what he's doing.

9. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

How did you score it?

10. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

The only time i remember Lederman being badly off is Mayweather-Castillo 1. :tease:

11. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    James Toney vs. Vasilly Jirov
    Floyd Mayweather vs. Jesus Chavez
    Oscar De La Hoya vs. John-John Molina

12. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Agreed

Also Emanual Stewart repeating over and over that DLH is tired and its only the second round doesn't help either ... :lol:
    Fuckin Stewart is an asshole ...

They should have been talking about what a great job DLH was doing blocking punches and talk about how Mayweather needed to get closer so he would stop punching air ....
    Like I said in the other post , my friends wife asked "why does that guy keep puching the other guys gloves?"
    Mind you now , she doesn't know shit about anything and still noticed that ...
    If it was like Winky /Taylor , I could see points given because they were hard punches that mostly broke through the guard ..
    However Oscar was just picking off punches that weren't even coming close enough to land regardless .. Some he didn't even bother because they were so far away ..

13. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Barrera-Marquez

14. Double L

Double L Book Reader

i have to watch it again. i haven't scored it officially. but i remember disagreeing with Lederman's score consistently, and i also disagreed with Max's assessment that PBF won 9 rounds to 3. i also reject Kellerman's characterization of the fight as a virtuoso performance on the part of PBF.
    and lastly, i'm 100% sure that Lederman and Max both are fucking idiots. and if anyone's doing their damnest to pound the last nails into boxing's coffin, it's Max and Lederman - two idiots who it's very difficult to fathom have been given the voice they have.

15. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Any fighter Lederman had winning that was losing.

16. Double L

Double L Book Reader

i'm sure. yes!

17. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    De La Hoya vs. Mosley II

18. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    115-113 for De La Hoya was fair, IMO.

For all the criticism heaped on HBO after that fight for being biased, Harold has never been really biased in favor of Oscar. He's generally been pretty fair, although I really questioned that Molina card.