Frankie Randall vs. Vince Phillips..@140

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by ILLUMINATI, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

AT 140 who wins?

2. Registered

Registered "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    It's too bad these fighters peaked at different periods, this fight had a real possibility of happening if not for a few unfortunate turns.

In their primes, I'd pick Frankie Randall by decision. Randall was awesome at 140, underrated body puncher, powerful cross, finesse style, and accurate placer of power.

3. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    ^^^ I was thinking the same, but the more I play this fight out in my head, the more I see Randall stretched out on the canvas at the end of the night.

I don't see Frankie knocking out Phillips, but can see him taking a decision. Vince's chin wasn't tremendous, but he was a lot stronger at 140 than 147.

Normally in such a battle, I'd go with the better boxer, which in this case would be Randall. But I don't see his chin and stamina being great enough to outlast Phillips' right hand shots all night. Phillips TKO11, rallying from behind to score a late, dramatic stoppage.

4. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    I just don't see Frankie Randall pulling a Kostya and getting tagged over and over again, Randall wasn't a slouch defensively. I think he made one defensive mistake that cost him in about 50 fights before he schooled Chavez twice.

I also think if an undefeated Chavez couldn't rally to stop Randall, then certainly Phillips wouldn't be able to do it.

This fight should've happened in the mid-90s. B)

5. The Cuban Hawk

The Cuban Hawk WBC Champion

Home Page:
    IMO, Randall outboxes and outmaneuvers Phillips to a decision.

6. Jake

Home Page:
    THAT Chavez was at least 2-3 years removed from his prime. It's not a fair comparison. Not saying that a prime Phillips is an all-time great fighter, but he has an equalizer than Chavez didn't.

Julio was far more superior at breaking down fighters before either stopping them, or beating the hell out of them en route to a comfortable/dominant points win. Phillips could change the course of a fight with one punch (at least at 140, not so much at 147 and beyond).

Like I said, i can also envision Frankie outpointing him - I only see two scenarios; Randall by decision or Phillips by knockout.

7. The Cuban Hawk

Home Page:
    So was Randall.

8. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    :2:

I also can't think of anyone that Phillips floored in one punch on the level of Randall or Chavez that leads me to believe he has Hearns like equalizing power. He had to hit Kostya about 50 times with that overhand right to make it "fight changing"...

9. Jake

Home Page:
    The difference being that Randall had far better wins outside of his optimal prime, and also kept himself in far better condition (save for his alcohol and drug binges).

Alabama_Man - Phillips landed a ton of right hands to END the fight. But the knockdown (in the 7th) was clearly the turning point of the fight and it didn't come from 50 right hands. In fact, I remember the scoring for that round being all over the place - 10-8 Phillips, 10-9 Phillips and 10-10! The latter two scores indicative that Tszyu was otherwise winning the round.

10. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Chavez won the series 2-1. So there. :neener: :2:

11. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Exactly, he had to land a TON of right hands to end that fight. It's not like he could put your lights out like Hearns with a single punch. Do you really think Randall would just trade straight up with Phillips and take punch for punch tactics and give Phillips that chance? :nixweiss:

It just wasn't Randall's style. The ONLY chance I could see Phillips having is a fatigued Randall, and even that is slim.

Your whole premise is based upon the point that Phillips would somehow land a crazy right hand late to change the fight and that Randall had a shit chin, both of which are far stretches (I think Randall was stopped like ONE time in 50 fights before he fought Chavez). Randall was also much more defensively slick than Tszyu. Phillips has never knocked silly anyone I can think of who is A-List with one punch.

I mean to add even more to this mix, Tszyu was dropped two times by Hurtado (who isn't even a heavy puncher). It's not like Tszyu is some defensive wizard, he was much more hittable than Randall in his prime.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  12. Jake

Home Page:
    Do you know what "Fight changing power" means?

Julian Jackson had true one-punch power. He could end a fight on a single punch at any given moment.

Fight-ALTERING power is the ability to change the course of a fight, though not necessarily end it. Felix Trinidad, as great of a puncher as he was, had THIS type of power, and not THAT.

Also, I never said Frankie's chin was shit, just that he could be got. Lesser fighters than Vince put him on his ass.

Finally, we can argue all we want about who wins prime vs. prime, but neither had the prime wins to make an argument for their greatness. Both had better wins outside of their prime, which is the eras I compare in determining this fight.

13. Double L

Double L Book Reader

i agree with Jake. i think Phillips wins by knock-out. the thing about a short, straight, accurate and fast right-hand is that it can land against even the best defensive fighters.

and Phillips was ruthless with his. there's no way in hell Randall could avoid that punch through-out the fight. and i'll even go one step further and say that Phillips lands it often in the second half of the fight, finally culminating in a stoppage win.

14. The Cuban Hawk

Home Page:
    No, he only won ONE out of the three.

DON KING won the 2nd fight. :nono:

15. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I'll go with Phillips via KO. Randall had the better orthodox skills and by some margin, but there's something that worries me about the way he struggled to take HEAVY power shots during his career.

That and his style of defence was usually predicated on his footwork. The problem you have when moving in and out, is when you fight a guy who loops his punches at speed and with accuracy. Phillips looked like he was an ammy in there sometimes, with the way he'd lead with that crazy right hand of his...but the fact is, it landed more often than not and it was a legit power shot. Coupled with Randall generally standing a little too upright and I can see that shot being blasted off of Randall's chin one too many times.

Phillips is bigger, stronger, took the better shot and I honestly think he probably collapses Randall with one or two fight changing shots and that would be all she wrote. Could happen at any point in the fight.

16. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Ooohh. Fight changing and fight "altering", I'm glad there are categories to cut slivers over like those. :jester:

Also Trinidad had fight ending power at 147, if he hit you clean, it was good night. B)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  17. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    lol, I'm glad someone said it. :jester:

18. Jake

Home Page:
    I don't know if you simply can't read, or if English is not your first language, so I'll reserve my opinion pending further clarification.

As for Tito - I'll argue that it took him just as many shots in the end to finish off Campas as it did for Vince to stop Tszyu. He also didn't get Carr out of there with one shot. Or Anthony Stephens. Or Hector Camacho. Or Pernell Whitaker. Or Oscar. Or Ray Lovato. Or Rodney Moore.

19. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Hey, what's up with the insults?

Internet rule #1: Those who are first to insult are the first to concede victory. B)

Relax Man, it's just the internet. ghfjdgs

20. Jake

Home Page:
    It's not an insult, I honestly don't know whether or not English is your first language.

21. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Why does it matter? :nixweiss:

Stick to boxing. :box:

22. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Camacho - Who has?
    Whitaker - Who has?
    Oscar - Who has?
    :nixweiss:

He decapitated Zulu in one shot. B)

23. Jake

Home Page:
    Further proof that you can't read. But as per your request, moving on and sticking to boxing...

My points exactly. Trinidad had phenomonal power, but the tale of his being a one-punch knockout artist is a bit mythical. His power changed the course of a fight in most occasions. Hence, fight-altering/fight-changing power.

Your claim was that if he hit you clean with a shot, you're done for the night. Oba Carr and Yori Boy Campas would argue otherwise. What they couldn't argue, though, is my claim.

Understand? Comprende? Capite? Verstehen Sie? (sp? on the last two)

24. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    I would have a problem picking Cool Vince in a MM. He was just too inconsitent. He beats Zu than gets ktfo, by Teron Millett(Mullett to you Foreman fans) Randall was solid, but a bit overrated because he was the first to first topple JCC Superstar. Real Boxing fans know he was the third or maybe 4th or 5th after Whitaker, Taylor, Mexican bum who won by DQ or Laporte. I still think Pea and Taylor beat Chavez first, but Franky has the meaningless to me distinction of officially handing him an "L". Still, good fighter. Chavez was slowing, but not shot and he put him on his face with a right hand. If there was some cocaine in traing camp, Cool Vince would be Out Cold Vince from the same right.

25. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Randall was almost as inconsistent as Phillips and shared the drug habit.

26. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    So true. I didn't make it clear in my above post. I would have trouble favoring either guy. Both were inconsitent. Both liked Cocaine, but then again what is not to like about Cocaine.

27. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    :jester: Free Ike/Strangelove, you are a loon and sometimes I disagree with you vehemently, but you are one of the wittiest bastards around. :2:

28. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You can't seem to read.

I never argued that Trinidad didn't have fight-altering power etc. I just found it funny that you liked to play semantics about "fight altering" and fight changing", which mean the exact same thing.

Anyway, if you can't stick to boxing and want to play the insult game, maybe I'll just put you on ignore like the other flame boys on this site. I can't believe how children sometimes act in the mythical matchups forum, I mean these fights have almost no chance of happening, and no one is paying you to write about this stuff. Take a fucking chill pill. Comprende? :loveballs:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  29. admin

admin has left the building

ENOUGH, TIME TO CHILL OUT EVERYONE

30. Jake

Home Page:
    why was this locked?