GSP will whup Hughes

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by LOK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Watch and BELEEEE DAT!

2. THKS

THKS Scrub

He's going to have to find a way to neutralize Hughes strength as that was what Hughes used to get him to the ground the first time around. GSP is a good striker, and taller than Hughes so he needs to do what Hughes DON'T do so well. And that's strike. I don't care WHAT kind of strength you have Wanderlei Silva is proof of what solid 8 point striking skills will do for you in a fight. Even though Silva uses only 2 of those points (knees from hell) most of the time. :jester:

GSP had Hughes going in their first fight while on the feet, til Hughes locked on his ass and took him down resulting in a slow countering arm bar by Hughes over GSP's attempt at a Kimura.

3. THKS

THKS Scrub

One last thing. The BE ALL to END ALL with Hughes will always be that vaunted....overrated (IMHO) strength. It can take you a long way in a ground fight, but if you can't take a striker down, or even lay a glove on him, thas yo azzz.

4. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

Exactly right.

GSP has the tools to beat Matt, but only on his feet. Once to the ground, GSP's chances diminish greatly.

BJ Penn is the guy who has Matt's number. Goood all around fighter with a fantastic submission repertoire. And he has great submission DEFENSE, and against Matt Hughes, that is a big plus.

I think that Matt Hughes will beat GSP once again in an exciting fight..better than the first one.

Hughes wins by triangle choke in the third.

5. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    Hughes aint triangle choking anyone.....If he's pulls off a submission, its gonna be another power move like the RNC, straight armbar or a kimura.....

As far as THKS calling Hughes armbar slow, man, you're crazy, that was a GREAT transition......

GSP is WORLD CLASS on the ground, but he doesnt have the right ground style to beat Hughes.....Although GSP is much faster than Hughes, GSP's ground game is a power ground game......To beat Hughes on the ground, you need that extreme quickness like a Penn or Newton.....

When they fight again, anything can happen....The fight probably wont stay either on the ground or standing...I think there will be plenty of back and forth.....GSP is going to have to keep his mistakes minimal, and hope athletisism takes over, and leads him to victory

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  6. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    You mean Dana White will actually stop hiding Hughes from St Peirre all of a sudden? :nono:

7. LOK

:jester:

8. LOK

I agree here obviously, I'd like to see Penn-Hughes again:jester:

9. D.C. Pizza Master

D.C. Pizza Master Undisputed Champion

Head Pizza Chef and Manager

yo LOK

no offense...but you bad luck

first malignaggi..now fedex

dont jinx st. pierre with your trash talk :jester:

10. LOK

I hear you bro, I am like the max of the board..

although it couldnt effect Hops, I picked him to win :holla:

anyway.. I think from now on I'll keep my picks to myself :pissed:

11. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:

??????????????:sulkoff:

12. THKS

THKS Scrub

Agreed on Hughes triangling no one. He wants to be on top and works for that....period. I don't care who he's kimuraed, or arm barred.....Hughes will always be a GnP wrestler looking for the take down and dominate from the top....subs come second. His striking has improved, but will never be world class. And THAT is and always will be his achilles heel.

That WAS a slow ass armbar. YES the transition was great in countering that kimura attempt by St. Pierre. But you could see it coming a mile away when Hughes sat up to defend just before spinning around securing his arm for the finish. You wanna see a quick application of that from the mount? Watch Kenny Florian. Jus like lightening.

13. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

I agree, Florian's armbar on Sam Stout was lightening quick and beautiful. This guy is as technical as they come,..and the whole Gracie family should be proud.
    Florian isn't a physical speciman, nor is he special when it comes to power, strength or quickness. But when it comes to a knowledge of the game from a technical standpoint,...he is as good as it gets.

Now that he isn't facing guys so much HUGER than he is, he will be damn hard to beat for anyone. Sam Stout is a gamer.