Interesting article

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by TKO, May 4, 2007.

1. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

2. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Could you amagine Floyd Jr KTFO and Floyd Sr cheering ringside. That is a real possibility.

3. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

That would be interesting...

This is from the BBC,

When it was time for interviews, Floyd was asked, during a live TV link-up, how much cash he was carrying.

One of his entourage delved into a rucksack and handed Floyd three thick bundles of $100 bills.

"There's about $24,000 there," said Floyd as he waved the wads in front of the camera. "How d'you know?" "I can weigh it in my hand." Ask a silly question...

Is this guy for real...:rolleyes:

4. Fighter

Fighter Undisputed Champion

Sure, they are fucked up in the head, but I tell you one thing. They ALL work very hard and are good at what they do. They have a distinct STYLE of fighting. Sr is more defensive, Roger more offensive, Jr puts it all together.

Imagine how much higher their name would be if they all pulled TOGETHER.

Sr and Roger parents are not blameless. Never compete WITHIN the family and never try to impress someone from outside the family over someone that belongs in the family.

5. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

I think Roger is stable enough to exerscize some control over Floyd. If Tyson had had a Roger after Amato it might have saved him. Good for Roger, choke hold on Judah and all.

As a father I guess I am a sucker but I really feel sad about Floyd's situation and I also (here is the sucker part) understand why he acts out and calls for attention. Whatever happens in this fight Floyd wants approval. He works very hard and basically probably would love people like Merchant, before he starts tearing down Floyd (like he did after Baldy) to simply say, "nice job Floyd you are great at what you do." Apparently his father could nevr put aside his own ego enough to do this.

When I see Floyd's family I see a miracle in a sense. Despite all the drugs and violence Floyd works hard, has a guy who is a good role model (Roger) and somehow it holds together. I hope it holds together long enough so Floyd grows up a little bit and can not wind up like Tyson. I don't think people understand what Floyd has to deal with this way... every father figure in his life is critiscizing him accept his uncle it seems like to me.

6. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
  7. Fighter

I think the problem they all have is in giving CREDIT. Sr AND Roger gave Floyd a lot of info in how to become a successful fighter.

Floyd doesn't give his father enough of the credit for where he is today because of his father's arrest and lifestyle of crime before becoming a trainer. The first step is in FORGIVENESS. His dad did have SOMETHING to do with his success. The father apparently should acknowledge MORE the fighter Floyd has become.

The brothers have ENVY of one another. Who had the most successful career is important to them. They can't be HAPPY and PROUD of one another. In order to let go of all that requires STRENGTH.

8. dsimon3387

dsimon writes:

It was a nice gesture for Oscar to give Floyd senior a ticket. I do think that Oscar actually is more mature than Floyd and actually may have some compassion for Floyd's situation. Oscar, regardless of his sins, seems to come from a family that supported him and seems to recognize that Floyd suffers because he didn't.

9. Fighter

Oscar's father didn't show Oscar any appreciation and was hard on him as nails. Oscar never rebelled and did everything to succeed until that appreciation finally came.

His mom was a lot more supportive.

10. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I hope Sr cheers on DLH during the fight. It would remind me of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer joined the town crowd against Bart and was yelling "Kill my Boy!!!!":lol:

11. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I find it funny that DLH's old man never showed DLH any appreciation considering how much DLH acheived in his life, from gold medals to world titles to tens of millions of dollars to adoration of millions of fans. His old man must've been jealous of him since he never amounted to anything close to his boy.

12. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I know how many successful fighters are in boxing b/c their fathers pushed them, but still, there's a huge price to pay and there's a lot of sad stories, from Roy Jones being abused to other fighters suffering tragic fates while their fathers are in the corner.

I remember a local fight in San Jose some years back where the fighter's dad was in the corner, refusing to stop it while his son was taking a beating. The fighter ended up dying and the people kept saying he kept fighting on and not quitting b/c he didn't want to let down his father. There's been a couple of other situations like that in the last couple years as well.

13. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Wouldn't happen. In his heart, Snr wants his son to win.

14. dsimon3387

dsimon writes:

One supportive parent is better than none. Besides Oscar's relative maturity speaks for itself. Somoene stepped in in that household and made sure Oscar was parented.

I agree with you about the brothers Mayweather. The real issue to me is how Floyd is supposed to respond to the crisis when in effect he is still seeking approval from a father figure. Guys like Muze who are crushing him should be supporting him:lol: :lol: you hear me Muze!!? :lol:

15. dsimon3387

dsimon writes:

Philosophically speaking one could say Floyd senior did that years ago when he chose a way that was not the best for his family. I mean there are a lot of things I would like to do that I would do if I didn't have a family. Dangerous and crazy things

16. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    :lol: :bears: That will be priceless!

17. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Oscar probably did that just to mess with PBF. :lol:

I can easily see why people don't like Floyd's personality, hell, I think that he, his dad, and his uncle are all very obnoxious (Floyd Jr. is actually the most likeable of the 3), but I can't understand why people talk about Oscar as a great contrast, like he's the nice "good" guy and Floyd's the "bad" guy.

Sure the mainstream public can be fooled, but the hardcore fans (who visit message boards) ought to know better.

18. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    No one is saying that. IMO, Floyd is undisputedly worse. Also, Oscar has been living the settled life, allegedly. Still, he still never embraced being a degenerate even if he is. Floyd loves that people think of him as a powerful pimp-like figured. I would love for oyu to argue that Floyd is a better person than Oscar.

19. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I don't know exactly what went on in the crimes they were accused of to know who's the bigger scumbag.

I enjoy watching both of them fight but when they speak it's like they're both trying to insult our intelligence.

20. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    Really, all I have ever heard is that Oscar fucked everything that moved. He was not diligent in checking ID's. Obviously, Oscar's "Classy" image is a mirage and I bet it is for ever famous male, or nearly all. Frankly, I am paranoid and germ phobic, but I'd fuck quite a few girls every day if they were throwing themselves at me and so would you, I'd bet. I don't know the specifics either, but I have never heard that Oscar focibily raped anyone which is about as bad a crime a man can commit, outside murder.

Floyd was convicted of battering one chick and magically having one mysteriously get amnesia. Part of it is guilt by association. His family is one step below cockroaches. Roger actually beat his wife's grandmother.