Just Watched 'The Smashing Machine'...

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by D MAN, Apr 11, 2005.

1. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I just watched this movie, and Mark Kerr was such a fucking asshole that I absolutely wanted to see him have the pulp beaten out of him. Fortunately, I was not dissapointed, and he did in fact get the crap beaten out of him in every big fight he had.

I did not know anything about Mark Kerr previously, but I can honestly say I have zero sympathy for the guy.

Here's why I don't like him, in no particular order...

1) The guy disowned his family as soon as he got famous, and most of his friends.

2) He had no respect for his body, and abused illegal drugs, and no doubt pumped tonnes of steroids.

3) He complained about his wifes drug use, yet had no control over himself.

4) He did not have a high level of skill, relied mainly on (roid induced) strength and overbearing size to jump on his opponents and ground-and-pound them.

5) When showing one of his earlier fights, he GOUGED SOMEONES EYES WITH HIS THUMBS !!! IS/WAS THIS LEGAL ??? What a sick fuck...

6) When he lost his fight, he cried like a fucking little baby, whined and moaned to the ref, and showed grudging respect for the smaller, yet far more skilled opponent who beat him.

7) He wouldn't stop doing drugs, even the parts of the movie where he was "clean" I have no doubt he was still using.

8) He disrespected a great fighter in Bas Rutten by training with him, but clearly was not prepared to fight in his comeback.

9) He showed actual anger towards his opponents while fighting.. you could see it in his eyes.

10) He probably works as a drug collector and uses heroin regularly nowadays.

It was a pretty good movie though.. but it really is hard to have any respect for this character.

2. NeighborMike

NeighborMike Senior Member

Home Page:
    o lord...i wont even comment

3. The Punisher

The Punisher Scrub

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>o lord...i wont even comment
    <div align="right">[post=21992]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Comment MC, I have seen this documentary thing as well, and loved it, so I would like ot hear what you have to say.
    :popcorn:

4. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I just watched this movie, and Mark Kerr was such a fucking asshole that I absolutely wanted to see him have the pulp beaten out of him. Fortunately, I was not dissapointed, and he did in fact get the crap beaten out of him in every big fight he had.

I did not know anything about Mark Kerr previously, but I can honestly say I have zero sympathy for the guy.

1) The guy disowned his family as soon as he got famous, and most of his friends.

2) He had no respect for his body, and abused illegal drugs, and no doubt pumped tonnes of steroids.

4) He did not have a high level of skill, relied mainly on (roid induced) strength and overbearing size to jump on his opponents and ground-and-pound them.

5) When showing one of his earlier fights, he GOUGED SOMEONES EYES WITH HIS THUMBS !!! IS/WAS THIS LEGAL ??? What a sick fuck...

6) When he lost his fight, he cried like a fucking little baby, whined and moaned to the ref, and showed grudging respect for the smaller, yet far more skilled opponent who beat him.

7) He wouldn't stop doing drugs, even the parts of the movie where he was "clean" I have no doubt he was still using.

8) He disrespected a great fighter in Bas Rutten by training with him, but clearly was not prepared to fight in his comeback.

9) He showed actual anger towards his opponents while fighting.. you could see it in his eyes.

It was a pretty good movie though.. but it really is hard to have any respect for this character.
    <div align="right">[post=21987]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

I take it you're a little guy who really hates people that are bigger than you. That's all I gathered from your post.

5. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Scrub

Home Page:
  6. TraZ

TraZ WBC Champion

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I just watched this movie, and Mark Kerr was such a fucking asshole that I absolutely wanted to see him have the pulp beaten out of him. Fortunately, I was not dissapointed, and he did in fact get the crap beaten out of him in every big fight he had.

<div align="right">[post=21987]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

you are a mental retard. wow.

7. Pretty Boy

Pretty Boy Leap-Amateur

:wacko:

8. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I don't know much about Kerr's personal life but he was indeed talented and had a competitive spirit. Some of your points don't make much sense anyway.

9. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    I remember watching Kerr crush that guy in the UFC with a single knee to the head and thought "GEEZ, WHAT A MONSTER!!!!" Kerr was a pioneer of Ground and Pound with his knees and elbows. He was also apparently an excellent wrestler. I liked his story and he seemed like a good guy to me.

10. Dpl198274

Dpl198274 Leap-Amateur

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>o lord...i wont even comment
    <div align="right">[post=21992]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    isnt that your boy Mike?

11. Son of Payton

Son of Payton Banned

Home Page:
    Is this available to rent or anything? I've heard about it for a while, and I've always wanted to see it.

12. Dpl198274

Dpl198274 Leap-Amateur

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Is this available to rent or anything? I've heard about it for a while, and I've always wanted to see it.
    <div align="right">[post=22042]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    yeah, its on DVD....blockbuster should have it

13. The Punisher

The Punisher Scrub

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah, its on DVD....blockbuster should have it
    <div align="right">[post=22043]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Its good shit.

14. D MAN

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I take it you're a little guy who really hates people that are bigger than you. That's all I gathered from your post.
    <div align="right">[post=21998]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

No you're wrong.

15. D MAN

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>you are a mental retard. wow.
    <div align="right">[post=22008]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Yeah Traz you're right it IS cool to be a heroine addict with no control over your life.

Post a coherent sentence before you start calling other people retards.

16. D MAN

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I remember watching Kerr crush that guy in the UFC with a single knee to the head and thought "GEEZ, WHAT A MONSTER!!!!" Kerr was a pioneer of Ground and Pound with his knees and elbows. He was also apparently an excellent wrestler. I liked his story and he seemed like a good guy to me.
    <div align="right">[post=22038]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

I liked his story too.. and it seemed like he was trying to act like a good guy.. but actions speak much louder than words, and the things he did in and out of the ring were that of a coward.

17. Hanzy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah Traz you're right it IS cool to be a heroine addict with no control over your life.

<div align="right">[post=22067]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

You're much too harsh on Kerr. The man is a born fighter, not a damn priest. The sport that he competes in is one of the toughest and most dangerous forms of competition in the world. Ok, so he fought with anger. Big deal? That's a norm in combat sports. He had a tough life, he had to make his own way to acheive what he wanted. His skill level was just fine, he was one of the more talented fighters in the world at his peak, and no, steroids are not the reason he won fights. He won with skills, strength and talent, not by using the Popeye "eat spinach, get strong, and Wallop!" :D If it was that easy, bigger and stronger men than Kerr would've dominated the scene but they didn't.
    As for your other points, that's hypothetical. You're using claims like "I have no doubt" and "he probably...." in order to illustrate your points. You're trying to use any and every possible excuse to hate on him.
    That's no road for a man to go. :wink:

18. Hanzy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I liked his story too.. and it seemed like he was trying to act like a good guy.. but actions speak much louder than words, and the things he did in and out of the ring were that of a coward.
    <div align="right">[post=22068]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

He was a coward? And what are you D MAN? Are you a world class talent in any particular sport? Have you competed at the top level in martial arts or any kind of combat sport? Let us know, we want to know more about you. You are a much better man than Kerr obviously since you talk so much. :biggthumbup:
    Or are you trying to make yourself feel high and mighty by putting him down? Hmmm?

19. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I liked his story too.. and it seemed like he was trying to act like a good guy.. but actions speak much louder than words, and the things he did in and out of the ring were that of a coward.
    <div align="right">[post=22068]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

There was no rule against widening orifices or bodily openings at the time in question, and I don't believe it was an eye socket. It was a cut that he widened....as do many boxers when they target a wound. As for him trying to be nice, they showed how he would occasionally act like an arsehole, but you're talking about guys whose sole objective is to win in a sport where permanent injuries are commonplace. It's natural to be tightly-wound and hostile. The pressure of knowing you're going into a ring with an opponent who wants to choke you out, knock you out, or snap one of your bones can really get to some people. Others build up an immunity over time and shrug it off.

As for him disrespecting Bas Rutten, I disagree. He trained with him and Bas even said himself that he would like to keep Kerr there longer to watch over him. If Bas didn't feel disrespected by training with the guy, then why should anyone else feel it FOR Bas???

20. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah Traz you're right it IS cool to be a heroine addict with no control over your life.

<div align="right">[post=22067]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Ouch. :D

21. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>You're much too harsh on Kerr. The man is a born fighter, not a damn priest. The sport that he competes in is one of the toughest and most dangerous forms of competition in the world. Ok, so he fought with anger. Big deal? That's a norm in combat sports. He had a tough life, he had to make his own way to acheive what he wanted. His skill level was just fine, he was one of the more talented fighters in the world at his peak, and no, steroids are not the reason he won fights. He won with skills, strength and talent, not by using the Popeye "eat spinach, get strong, and Wallop!" :D If it was that easy, bigger and stronger men than Kerr would've dominated the scene but they didn't.
    As for your other points, that's hypothetical. You're using claims like "I have no doubt" and "he probably...." in order to illustrate your points. You're trying to use any and every possible excuse to hate on him.
    <div align="right">[post=22069]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Good post.

22. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>He was a coward? And what are you D MAN? Are you a world class talent in any particular sport? Have you competed at the top level in martial arts or any kind of combat sport? Let us know, we want to know more about you. You are a much better man than Kerr obviously since you talk so much. :biggthumbup:
    Or are you trying to make yourself feel high and mighty by putting him down? Hmmm?
    <div align="right">[post=22070]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

I agree, its tough to judge people sometimes until you've been in their shoes.

23. Hanzy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree, its tough to judge people sometimes until you've been in their shoes.
    <div align="right">[post=22087]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

That's unfortunately the way of the world, Orion. Nobody visualizes being in another person's shoes before they spout off with their bullshit.

24. D MAN

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>You're much too harsh on Kerr. The man is a born fighter, not a damn priest. The sport that he competes in is one of the toughest and most dangerous forms of competition in the world. Ok, so he fought with anger. Big deal? That's a norm in combat sports. He had a tough life, he had to make his own way to acheive what he wanted. His skill level was just fine, he was one of the more talented fighters in the world at his peak, and no, steroids are not the reason he won fights. He won with skills, strength and talent, not by using the Popeye "eat spinach, get strong, and Wallop!" :D If it was that easy, bigger and stronger men than Kerr would've dominated the scene but they didn't.
    <div align="right">[post=22069]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Well I said right away that I do not know anything about Kerr except for what was shown in this movie.. and my impression was based solely on this movie.. did he not:
    a) do heroine or opiate derivitives regularly from addiction

b) gouge someones eys (call it what you want but his thumbs were right in that guys eye sockets)

c) cry and whine after he lost his first fight

d) maintian minimal contact with his friends and family...

If you have a dispute to any of these claims then come forward.. gain I said I've only seen this movie, which possibly highlighted the downslope of his career alot more than his prime.. and I really didn't see a huge pile of talent and skill... prove me wrong..

25. D MAN

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>He was a coward? And what are you D MAN? Are you a world class talent in any particular sport? Have you competed at the top level in martial arts or any kind of combat sport? Let us know, we want to know more about you. You are a much better man than Kerr obviously since you talk so much. :biggthumbup:
    <div align="right">[post=22070]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

No this has nothing to do with me. When I see fighters in MMA and boxing they generally carry themselves with a great deal of self-respect, pride and courage. I failed to see this in Mark Kerr.

26. D MAN

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree, its tough to judge people sometimes until you've been in their shoes.
    <div align="right">[post=22087]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Everybody has a tough life at some point and it's how you deal with it that defines you as a person.

27. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Everybody has a tough life at some point and it's how you deal with it that defines you as a person.
    <div align="right">[post=22137]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

It did what he had to do. He made plenty of money and had a successul career, what he's doing today is nothing more than speculation.

28. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Well I said right away that I do not know anything about Kerr except for what was shown in this movie.. and my impression was based solely on this movie.. did he not:
    a) do heroine or opiate derivitives regularly from addiction

b) gouge someones eys (call it what you want but his thumbs were right in that guys eye sockets)

c) cry and whine after he lost his first fight

d) maintian minimal contact with his friends and family...

If you have a dispute to any of these claims then come forward.. gain I said I've only seen this movie, which possibly highlighted the downslope of his career alot more than his prime.. and I really didn't see a huge pile of talent and skill... prove me wrong..
    <div align="right">[post=22135]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

1. Yes, he was using painkillers and its probably more common than you think among pro MMA fighters, so don't think he was the only one doing it.

2. If gouging eyes were legal at that time, what's the problem?

3. Nothing wrong with crying after defeat, especially if its something your put your heart and soul in, pro athletes cry all the time.

4. I only maintain minimal contact with friends and family too, not everyone has a wonderful relationship with their relatives and friends often end up stabbing you in the back anyway.

Always two sides to every coin, you watched the movie and left with a closed mind. Obviously none of this relates to your life or anyone you've been around so you can't comprehend it.

29. D MAN

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>1. Yes, he was using painkillers and its probably more common than you think among pro MMA fighters, so don't think he was the only one doing it.

2. If gouging eyes were legal at that time, what's the problem?

3. Nothing wrong with crying after defeat, especially if its something your put your heart and soul in, pro athletes cry all the time.

4. I only maintain minimal contact with friends and family too, not everyone has a wonderful relationship with their relatives and friends often end up stabbing you in the back anyway.
    Always two sides to every coin, you watched the movie and left with a closed mind. Obviously none of this relates to your life or anyone you've been around so you can't comprehend it.
    <div align="right">[post=22429]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

1. He was a total addict he injected the stuff up all the time in between fights, this was obvious, he checked into rehab for several months = heroine addict.

2. Was gouging eyes legal ? This is an honest question, I seriously doubt it was...

3. Yeah nothing wrong with just crying, but he was a crying like a baby cries when they don't get what they want for christmas, out of pity for himself, blaming everyone else... even though afterwards people affirmed that he trained very little for the fight.

4. Sounds to me like his relatives and especially friends were all trying to reach out to him, but he was too self-indulged with his addiction and high lifestyle to bother with them... thankfully they were good people who came to his side when he was in rehab.

30. KauKipRr

KauKipRr Scrub

Home Page:
    I only saw Kerr in pride,.. and he was UNBEARABLE to watch,.. absolutley horrenderous I wanted to spew he turned me off the fucking sport for good I thought until Daijiro Matsui fought on the same card...

Ps: Vovchanchyn may have been the lesser of the two evils in that nightmare against Kerr,.. but he is indeed one of the most overrated fighters of all time,..a bum could enter the ring and beat him on any given night,...and did,.. the war wound leper Tra Telligman out slugged him.