Mare of Easttown

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by lb 4 lb, Oct 29, 2021.

1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Just finished this mini series and if you’ve heard about this show the hype is real. Stars Kate Winslet as a small town detective who’s in the middle of a year’s long murder case when a new murder happens that she also has to solve.

What makes this show special is the dialogue, plot and background stories of the many characters. Even the ones with the minimalist stories you find yourself caring about. I can’t do this show justice here but trust me this is like a great book you can’t put down or one of those shows you don’t plan on binge watching but you just have to watch the next episode even though you know you should go to bed. Even the missus got hooked on this and she is no fan of dramas and usually ignores what I’m watching while playing on her phone. At one point I asked if I could watch episode 2 or do I need to wait for her and she said to wait for her. We finished the whole series together and I can’t remember the last time we did that with a series.

I put this show right up there with Chernobyl and The Night Of. I’ve already seen The Night Of thrice and plan to see Chernobyl again at some point. Although MoE is just as good as those two it isn’t as rewatchable because so much of the story centers around the mystery of whodunnit that it sort of kills the replay value. I still highly recommend you check it out on HBOMAX.

It sits at an outstanding 8.7 on IMDB. I personally give it a 9/10.

2. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Watched the first 3 episodes so far. Quite good although a bit depressing.

lb 4 lb likes this.
  3. lb 4 lb

Was it my awesome review that made you check this out?

4. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Yes. I never heard of the show before your post. Unless i missed it there didn't seem to be much publicity surrounding it for whatever reason.

5. lb 4 lb

Yeah I hadn’t heard of it until listening to a bunch of podcasters associated with Bill Simmons’ company “The Ringer” constantly harping on about it. Ain’t no HBO here in Japan so if there was any promotion for it I certainly didn’t see any.